• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More wheels part-1, to extend silder wear, XTX -*update*-

mach9

TY 4 Stroke Master
Excuse me if someone else has come up with this.
I've been away from the forum for several days.

Well, I do believe this is going to work.

The reason I call it Part-1.
If it does not fully satisfy my expectations I may find a way to add more large wheels to the outside near the back.
(everyone please consider clearance and room for the chassis to bottom I checked more than once and I don't see the space available)

My 08 wore out sliders fast and my 09 XTX seems to also.
I'm looking for peace of mind for that long trip.
When you are on day 5 of a 1500km ride and the trails go hard and you just can't stop thinking if your sliders are going to make it home.

Plus I just reduced rolling resistance. (extra speed maybe? or better fuel economy?)

Why oh why can't Yamaha put these in?
Was the 3 lbs weight saving worth the hassle?
Or did Yamaha want us to keep visiting the dealer for more sliders. (service calls)

This set up is very easy and is just like all the Ski-doo SC chassis'.
An extra set of wheels inside, near the rear shock mount.

See photos...

Yamaha Part numbers:
Qty-2 8ES-47419-00 bracket
Qty-2 90201-105H3-00 wheel washer
Qty-2 95817-10080-00 bolt
Qty-2 95607-10200-00 nylon nut (and blue loctite to be sure)
Qty-2 8ET-47310-00 wheel with bearing

Take out the short bolt and throw these on.
Too easy.

Happy 2009

Attachments

• yam-parts-used.jpg
    yam-parts-used.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 701
  • installed-wheels-XTX.jpg
    installed-wheels-XTX.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 866

Idler wheels.

I like that! It is exactly where they are needed. I'm not wearing slides behind the tip up. Only from the tip up forward. They would certinally help this vunerable area. I heard BRP wheels are about 1/8" larger diameter and help the hyfax wear. A friend who was riding with me yesterday told me that was good for both Apex's and Nytro's.

Why do you guys buy a 144" sled to ride rock hard conditions? I expect I'll get a couple of years on my stock hyfax. Maybe Yamaha had the idea that guys on 144" sleds rode in snow. Makes sense to me.

SB

the xtx is a crossover sled to ride trail and offtrail and the options are 121 or 144. i dont know about you but the last time i went riding i didnt have the options to order good trails so its ride hard trail or dont ride so i picked ride.

stewartb said:
Why do you guys buy a 144" sled to ride rock hard conditions? I expect I'll get a couple of years on my stock hyfax. Maybe Yamaha had the idea that guys on 144" sleds rode in snow. Makes sense to me.

SB

Snow covered plowed road (not sanded or salted) the cats F7 and doo's 800xps are flying down the road and the XTX, APEX and Attak are all burning up...

Hyfax wear.

It doesn't matter if its a 121, 136,or 144" All the Yamahas have excessive hyfax wear. Like the poster said driving plowed roads and DOO, POO are haveing no problems and yamahas smell like a plastic burning party.
What I notice is after the slides burn down 90% the last 10% lasts for quite a bit longer than the first 90%. It sucks riding around on 10% left but what choice do we have? Unless you really have an answer don't answer...
Most of us have lots of snow in the middle of winter. Its in the spring when the days get warm and the trails melt. After the night they freeze solid until around 11AM. Do you stay home or go burn another set of slides. I go burn slides as you only get a couple months of good sledding and another month of bad sledding. Even in the best conditions like you might see in Alaska you'll find the Yamaha's burn hyfax "considerably" faster than the other 3. After a few years you think production engineers that ride the same sleds would fix this... Why haven't you Yamaha? You guys must be listening?

Yamaha's have always been hard on Highfax. In My opinion it's the terrible attack Angle at the front of the Skid. I added two sets of wheels from Fix Performance to My RTX se and it's really helped.

The Yamaha wheels cost more than aftermarket.
But for my timing and snow is here now, it's a fast easy bolt on.
I literally had them bolted on in less than 15 min.

What I did was look at the online Yamaha Parts fiche and picked out parts that are designed for the NYTRO.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

I may have used some items from the MTX to come up with the list required and for what was in stock at the Yamaha wearhouse.
And I think my dealer had a superceeded part # for the washers or something.

I did check the clearance behind the wheel bolt and the shock relay rods.
The shock will go down into the pocket perfectly.

Cheers

has anyone tried to install a different "brand" or manufacturer of sliders on their sled ,i know the yamaha sliders sure look different when you heat them with a torch than poo or doo sliders do,i wonder if yamaha has a different "type" of material they are using,i have never tried anything else but im willing to give anything a try,i think i had read on here about the poo sliders fitting on the rails,that might be worth a trycause i ride with a lot of poos and doos and never seen them burn sliders like the yamahas

Could you not just add 2 more inside wheels to the bar that has the wheels with the tip up (at the 121")

Like adding a 4th wheel kit but with 2 more wheels and new spacers

Seems like the wear is equal on both side of the tip up, maybe the track is flexing too much in that area cause slidder burn??

For what it's worth, my skid sits on the floor on the idlers and rolls effortlessly if I bump it. There is no hyfax contact with the concrete or even with dirt on the floor. I don't know what that's worth but I thought it was interesting.

SB

170plus said:
has anyone tried to install a different "brand" or manufacturer of sliders on their sled ,i know the yamaha sliders sure look different when you heat them with a torch than poo or doo sliders do,i wonder if yamaha has a different "type" of material they are using,i have never tried anything else but im willing to give anything a try,i think i had read on here about the poo sliders fitting on the rails,that might be worth a trycause i ride with a lot of poos and doos and never seen them burn sliders like the yamahas

I tryed the Polaris RMK sliders on my xtx cause i read on one of the forums that they would fit and I could'nt get them on without having them split.
I was using white lithium grease and a rubber mallet and my shoulders are still sore! They were just a little to narrow so the rail was actually cutting the slider, I had one 3/4 of the way on and the side split :die

Went for a nice ride a couple days ago.
Not much to report.
Works perfect.

There was a huge snow fall so the hard trails and bare roads were not an problem.
(new problem with lots of soft snow... Ice build up!!)

I did not notice any wear with the new wheels inside.
If you try small wheels of any sort they spin too fast and fail.

Back