• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Motor swap question???

Mills

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'14 Viper RTX, '06 Apex, '99 SX 600, '74 TL433F, '79 Trail Fire
I know people have swapped the Apex 4cyl fuel injected motors into their Vipers and called them a Vipex but has anyone swapped an SRX or Sidewinder turbo motor into an Apex to make the sled lighter with more power?

Lighter? Nope.
More power? Okay.
Why not just turbo a Vec and have the same ish thing?

Lighter? Nope.
More power? Okay.
Why not just turbo a Vec and have the same ish thing?
Because I am tired of the purely A.C. parts on my Viper failing like bearings, top gears, shift fork guides, cross-over tube in rear suspension....
I also thought the challenge of swapping the motors would be something I would like to tackle. Just wanted to know if anyone has done it and what issues they ran into. Summer is coming so it is time to put the sleds away and get the UTV/camper/boat out

Listen, I get it…….I’ve been reluctant to join the Yamacat party for all of the reasons you’ve just mentioned, but instead of shoehorning a ‘Winder motor into a DBII chassis, why not simply buy a Vec and turbo it? You’re gonna end up with the same ish sled, that’s all I was trying to say.
I rode a winder several times over the last couple of days, and as a result, I’m on the hunt looking for another Apex. :dunno:

You are probably right. Based on the time i have available these days with work, kids, home projects and teaching safety classes for the DNR I don't have much left over to take on this project now.

Hmm, I thought and was told many times from members on this site that the pro cross was the most trouble free best chassis they have ever own and a OEM have ever built, I was under the impression that Doo, Pol, and old 2018 Delta box 2 chassis are nothing but pure junk and unreliable and would cost you thousands to keep them running on the snow, I will note though that I do own a delta box 2 chassis and has been very trouble free and very well built:dunno:, Yes... camping/ Atving /fishing/ boating are on the horizon.

Last edited:
Well all I can say is that the 100% Yamaha built sleds I own (2010 Phazers) have probably been the worst built sleds I've ever had in recent years. The engines are fantastic but the chassis leaves a LOT to be desired. After 5k miles, nearly every moving part is completely worn out or loose. The old Cat's I've owned from the 90's - 2000's (still own a few) held up substantially better in this department. I did however know all about these chassis deficiency issues with the Phazers before ever purchasing them and have no regrets. After many updates/improvements I now have two well sorted Yamaha's in my lineup. The same can be said for the Procross chassis. If one does all the know, well documented updates they too can be a rather wonderful sled to own. None of these machines are perfect, just pick your battles wisely and enjoy the ride!

I’ve started this swap on a sidewinder. It’s almost a bolt in. I attached it to the rear stock engine mount and had to make a new tab on the front. Also had to notch some of the chaincase and the side aluminum stays

I’ve started this swap on a sidewinder. It’s almost a bolt in. I attached it to the rear stock engine mount and had to make a new tab on the front. Also had to notch some of the chaincase and the side aluminum stays
Are you swapping an Apex motor into a Sidewinder or vice-versa?

You can follow the motor swap here

Back