• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mountain Lite - Freeing up tunnel space? Exhaust Turnout/Turndown/ReRoute?

FlatOverCrest

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Mountain Lite
Hello all.

I have an 07 Phazer Mountain Lite. I want to free up space on top of the tunnel for storage. I have looked all over and found that Yamaha used to sell an exhaust turnout. It looks like that is no longer available.

I still have a fully stock exhaust.

Most of the info on here seems like it is over a decade old. What has worked for people? My first thought it to measure the exhaust outlet and find a universal turn down. I would love to pop a hole in the tunnel and route it down to dump there but I have heard plenty of talk of icing problems. My trips are usually short unless I find somewhere to play as I am traveling somewhere.

Any modern thoughts or ideas on freeing up space on the tunnel? I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Erik

I have an MP which dumps in the tunnel and most guys find that to be a problem. It definitely is advisable to clean out the tunnel every morning by loosening things up with a rubber mallet and reversing to clear the debris. At least in my temperatures and snow conditions.

I have a VK PRO which I had routed to the side from new and the icing issue is greatly reduced. But I have melted gear that fell in front of the exhaust. It doesn't come up with a Phazer but I know guys who have left the exhaust in the tunnel because their passengers got to vote ... fools.

Pretty small sample size as I’ve only owned it for a year but I did get out a bunch last winter. Have a little phazer with a 151 and it has a tunnel dump. I do play in the mtns here in BC a bit but typically just use it for hunting; so anything from feet of powder to hard pack. I haven’t had any icing problems yet and this does include overnight trips where the skid never melts completely. Maybe just luck with the conditions, idk.

But the tunnel storage is great. I’m able to throw my snowshoes or other gear on it and even a Lynx lol. No melted plastic, burnt hair or nothing.

I made a tip/turnout out of a 90" exhaust elbow, works OK but stuff can still get hot on a warm day on that side of the tunnel.

Back