• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MP Sunk

YukonMP

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Venture MultiPurpose 2020 VK Professional ll
View attachment 136136 View attachment 136137 View attachment 136136 2014 MP spent the night in water almost to top of tunnel. Froze in needless to say. Chainsawed them free (other was 2015 Skandic SWT) and cut a path out. Dragged them out with portable winch known as a moose puller around here.
View attachment 136138 View attachment 136139
The sled is in a heated shop, melted off and had a heater w/fan blowing on the fuses/relays all night. When I left it last night it was cranking but not firing. No codes. I'm just going out to open up all the connections, blow them out and grease them. Also drop the chain oil.

Just putting this out to solicit advice. Will update.

I would like to avoid fouling the plugs and am considering when to use starter fluid(which I bought in the last month when I saw a post by Cannondale, and yes, I got the one with lubricant)

Last edited:

She turns over good but has only coughed twice. The very first try and then the time I gave a shot of starter fluid. No codes. I'm still working on all the connections which may or may not help but needs to be done anyway.

The ice/water level was just below the top of the battery,the bottom of the airbox was wet but the "intake trumpets" were above water. Bet they aren't called intake trumpets.

Turned the primary over by hand and it seemed normal. The sleds were barely warmed up when we went in.

I'm wondering if water may have got into the gas tank. Doesn't appear to be oil in engine oil.

Before even attempting to start it, you have to get every bit of water out of it. Found these threads that might help:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/sunk-it.74506/
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/repairing-a-sunk-sled.37513/

Lots more reading if you want:
https://www.google.ca/search?newwin...j0i131k1j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1.0.ZtBYxINBpZw

After clearing all the water from the crankcase, even before trying to actually fire the engine up, you will have to take the tank off, pull the coils, blow out the plug wells of the water in there and remove the plugs. With no gas hooked up, connect the coils, put the spark plugs in them and connect the ground electrodes to ground. Crank the sled as if to start it and see if they spark right. Also see if water spurts out of the plug holes. I'd leave the plugs off to dry out. You should put some new plugs while you're at it.

Flush out the tank and reinstall. Put some fresh fuel and pray while cranking.

Thanks bud, I guess I'm reading tonight and doing tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get them but she was completely frozen in. Again thanks for your time searching.

If you can, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a compression test to be sure it's mechanically sound.

The sled sucked up several liters of water into the gas tank. The gas tank vent line exits at the top of the left footwell. As temps dropped and the sled cooled it drew up the water.

At this time I almost have the tank off and will rinse it out. At this point I'm in entirely uncharted territory in terms of my wrenching skills. I have new plugs to put in.

I'm wondering what I might do to get the water out of the system, from the tank forward.

No sign that water got into the engine other than in my prior attempts to start.

If the water got to battery height, it definitely got to the ECU and the relays. I don't know how waterproof they are but checking and drying the connectors is a good idea. The spark test like I described will determine the health of the ECU, coils and the relays. If you're not getting a code, then the gauge pod is communicating with the ECU.

yes, I wrapped up work below the battery and it is all put together with grease. right now I'm having a hard time getting the coils off. Have removed the bolts, given a little twist and pulled with no luck. Hints, I can always pull harder.

I don't remember them being particularly difficult to pull. Maybe water got in and making it difficult, like it's hydro-locked.

They shouldn't have been underwater. I am assuming I just pull straight up. I'll give them another try and look at gravity draining the two fuel lines.
Gas tank has been cleaned. I feel good about this if I can just get the new plugs in.

stopped pulling like a little girl and got the coil packs out, onto the plugs and whatever a guy might do for the rest of the fuel systm

She is running, no codes.

Thanks Mooseman. I've made note of how you worded that Google search, way better than what I have been doing.

Glad she's back in business.

For thiae Google searches, you can do that with almost all sites. Way better than any built-in search.

Back