• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mpi turbo 180/190?

murdered141

Snow Punisher
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha sr viper 15 ltx dx, mpi 190 turbo, straight line header, 38" mtx front end, mtx steering, mtx seat, xtx 141" skid and 2.25" power claw track
2019 sidewinder xtx le, sleeping for now
What's the difference between the 180 and 190, I know there was an early stage 1 intercooled turbo, also believe early units had Mitsubishi turbo and Volvo units on later model's like mine, or is it the intake and exhaust configurations that give it +- 10 hp.

I am pretty sure that you need the intercooler to be truly 190HP. The trail version (Yamaha endorsed) is 180hp. For more horsepower you need bigger fuel pump and injectors.

Just looking for clarification, not any power increases YET!

Last edited:
Does anyone know at what hp or #'s of boost does the gems become inadequate to supply enough fuel, granted that the fuel pump has been upgraded but not the injectors, as a power commander is needed for injectors, i suspect the stock ecu won't recognize them and over fuel .

I believe it is 7 but that could be dependent on altitude. After that a second gems to control a 4rth injector. Evo re-flash's the ecu and different gems numbers to run different injectors with the gems.

Does anyone know at what hp or #'s of boost does the gems become inadequate to supply enough fuel, granted that the fuel pump has been upgraded but not the injectors, as a power commander is needed for injectors, i suspect the stock ecu won't recognize them and over fuel .

Stock head studs and gasket will more than likely be the limiting factor at that point before the fueling, you may be able to have enough fuel to run 7 psi..maybe more, but I wouldn't try that without a minimum of putting in aftermarket head studs. You're correct on the bigger injectors, gems controller will not be able to tune for those.

Do Afr's change when going from a 2" exhaust to 2.5"

A stock motor needs fuel pump and 4th injector to safely run 7# of boost anything over that head studs are a must. Blew the gasket in my 15 1&1/2 years ago at 480 miles running 7.5#s blew the 14 up at 6.5 with no added fuel pump or 4th injector. The 15 now has Evo flash and arp studs running 7.5# pump gas & 10.5 #'s with 50/50 race fuel and track dyno puts it at 265 hp at the crank. With free flow exhaust and plenty of fuel almost 9.75 hp per. 1# of boost.

My 14 on the track dyno with low compression pistons at 12.5#'s of boost was 143.65 hp at the track my 15 at 10.5 #'s is 144.86 hp and much snappier.

The 14 low compression pistons, 4th injector 2 gems controllers and the high flow fuel pump with MPI race pipe and Red is 12# and Blue is 9#'s of boost
Dyno Sheet 12#s boost.jpg

The 15 arp studs and everything moved over from the 14 but with EVO Flash. Look at the low end this is 7.5 and 10.5 #'s of boost and the blue goes from 113.03 at 9#'s to 129.02 at 7.5#'s

Dyno Results.jpg

A stock motor needs fuel pump and 4th injector to safely run 7# of boost anything over that head studs are a must. Blew the gasket in my 15 1&1/2 years ago at 480 miles running 7.5#s blew the 14 up at 6.5 with no added fuel pump or 4th injector. The 15 now has Evo flash and arp studs running 7.5# pump gas & 10.5 #'s with 50/50 race fuel and track dyno puts it at 265 hp at the crank. With free flow exhaust and plenty of fuel almost 9.75 hp per. 1# of boost.

My 14 on the track dyno with low compression pistons at 12.5#'s of boost was 143.65 hp at the track my 15 at 10.5 #'s is 144.86 hp and much snappier.

So long story short, don't get greedy on a stock engine when it comes to boost. Or what is it that Ulmer says?..how lucky are u feeling? Lol that question goes a long ways. If you're running over 6psi on a stock engine without head studs that's definitely a question you need to ask yourself.

The 14 low compression pistons, 4th injector 2 gems controllers and the high flow fuel pump with MPI race pipe and Red is 12# and Blue is 9#'s of boostView attachment 133588

The 15 arp studs and everything moved over from the 14 but with EVO Flash. Look at the low end this is 7.5 and 10.5 #'s of boost and the blue goes from 113.03 at 9#'s to 129.02 at 7.5#'s

View attachment 133589

Upgraded turbo on the 15 with 19t billet wheel too correct? That's a significant upgrade when comparing boost for boost

Back