• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mtx 141 vs mtx 153

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
Im looking at a new sled. My decision is down to a 2017 mtx 153 with 3” lug, max ski width 38.5” and 2 year full warranty. Or a 2016 mtx 141 x 2.5” lug, max ski stance of 42” and one year warranty. Both sleds are new and the 2016 is $500 cheaper. Here’s my delema, I live in the Canadian Shield where we get more that enough snow. I would say that I ride 60-70% deep snow lake running and 30-40% trails. I like the fact that the 141 has a 4” wider ski stance for better stability and a 2.25” lug for better use on the trails but I like the extra floatation of the 153. I have never driven either of the sled so I would appreciate some opinions on them. Would the narrow ski stance of the 153 be that much more noticeable compared to the 141. And would the 153 floatation be that much more noticeable compared to the 141. What would be the difference between the two in the powder and on the trails.

I would say go for the 141. More tolerant to low snow and trails plus better stability. Unless pointed uphill in truly deep snow or trying to hold a steep sidehill - the 141 will suprise you where it can go with a 2.25.

Good to know. I have been leaning towards the 141 all the time. I just needed someone with some experience with one to tell me this

Go 153 mtx. You wont notice the extra track length and the 2.6 track with scratchers is not a problem on the trails.

Thanks for the replies guys but I just found and made a deal on a BTX this morning. It will suit my needs much better for where I live since it is clutched for lower elevations. It has the 1.75" backcountry on it which I have on my 136" RX1 and love it.

Thanks for the replies guys but I just found and made a deal on a BTX this morning. It will suit my needs much better for where I live since it is clutched for lower elevations. It has the 1.75" backcountry on it which I have on my 136" RX1 and love it.

That’s an awesome choice. I have a btx Sidewinder and love the 1.75 backcountry track. Plus u have the stability of the wider front end. A viper btx are harder to find.

Yeah this was the only BTX I could find, actually didn't even know they made such a sled because I've been outa the sled loop for awhile. Lots of MTX and a ton of sidewinders. I live in northern Saskatchewan where we get lots of snow and found this down south in Regina. They had brand new 2017's 2016's and even some 2015's they were still trying to get rid of. I guess when they don't get much snow it's pretty tough to sell sleds.

I would have said 141! You described the exact riding I do in the Shield. It is great, although I don't really love the sled on trails. My 97 Mountain Max 144 1.5 is better for trail riding

Back