• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mud Runnin' in Whitecourt, Alberta

Website
img78.photobucket.com
WEBSITE
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v344/660SilverTip/
WLM
tkoconsulting@telus.net
Notice all these Polaris guys I had to ride with yesterday. Winchin and pullin. tsk tsk tsk I had to get winched out once because I got caught on a log buried in the keg. They would get stuck and I would either go right beside them or I would wait till they got yanked and drive right in their tracks. Too much fun! I hope a few of these guys in the pics get to read this. We all had a great time. I don't get to ride with these guys very often but when I do, it is most entertaining.

Attachments

• Stuck 17.JPG
    Stuck 17.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 10,990
  • Stuck 16.JPG
    Stuck 16.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 10,980
  • Stuck 1.JPG
    Stuck 1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 10,968

Making notes for when I start working on my mud runner....

What was it that caused those guys to get stuck all the time while you were able to ride right through?

Ignoring the obvious "Because mine's a Yamaha and they got Pols" I'm thinking it's mainly your lift kit and tire combination. Besides your superior riding skill of course. ;)!

Yeah, I'm getting close to as far as I want to go on the Rappy and started thinking about the Grizz. Kevin's thinking "Allright, something more than spark plugs!"
:lol:

The tires and lift kit on the Yammy just make it look like I can ride! Seriously the biggest 2 factors were the ground clearance on the Grizz(with lift kit) and the mudlites. Those guys were getting high centered most of the time. The tires were absolutley incredible. A lot of the time I didn't even need the revs up. Just chugg through! I'm not too sure if the wheel spacers (1 1/2") and the offset wheels (another 1 1/2") helped as much but my tires didn't follow in exactly the same tracks as theirs. My quad is about 6" wider than stock so the outside of my tires aren't in their ruts. I dunno...makes sense but does it really work that way?

Attachments

• Wheel Spacers.JPG
    Wheel Spacers.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 10,920
  • Rear Lift Hub Flip.JPG
    Rear Lift Hub Flip.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 10,931
  • Front Lift.JPG
    Front Lift.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 10,945
I think you're on to something there with the wider wheel spacing and not following directly in the other guy's ruts.

The only way to get a Raptor or similar sport quad through some of those holes is to pick a line and speed that allows you ride on the ridge at the edge of the ruts. This can often get rather exciting as you bounce the machine from side to side and keep enough momentum to not get high centered. Once high centered and stuck, it's often only a matter of picking up the back end and putting the tires on top of the ridges to get going again.

I've tried to use the same ridge riding technique on my stock Grizzly with stock tires and found that it pretty much just follows the ruts no matter what I do. I'm also not real interested in trying to lift that beast out of the mud. :shock:

Depending how this weekend's ride goes with the Rappy, my Grizzly could possibly be a candidate for the "Alberta Configuration". ;)!

660 SilverTip said:
1+ ;)! If you widen...make sure you put on the Yamaha overfenders. lol

Boy, I don't know what I'd do with myself after coming off a machine that seems designed to throw mud in my face. Speaking of which, a little trick I use that works very well is to coat my goggle lens with Rain-X. The mud, wet or dry, just wipes right off in one swipe and doesn't seem to smear. ;)!

Well, I've been corrupted once again. The Raptor didn't last too long on our little junket as the terrain was a bit much for it. I was damn happy to swap it for the Grizz and of course found that I now need to add all these cool mods.

Mister Sled will be posting some pictures of the six Grizzlys and a Jolly Rancher.

I try to keep the front tires grinding on the ridge. The way it will always pull through. Once your tires are trying to paddle water, you are going to slow down real quick.

those are the spacers that I use and I love them! Along with my tires being 12" wide all around I have a 53" wide Grizz with everything on!! I have a hard time fitting through tight trails with this set up! :)-

660 Silver Tip,

When you installed the lift kit on the front did you measure how much lift you actually attained? As well how much clearance did you add with the rear hub flip?

What size are your Mudlites?

Yo SilverTip

The tires and lift kit on the Yammy just make it look like I can ride! Seriously the biggest 2 factors were the ground clearance on the Grizz(with lift kit) and the mudlites. Those guys were getting high centered most of the time. The tires were absolutley incredible. A lot of the time I didn't even need the revs up. Just chugg through! I'm not too sure if the wheel spacers (1 1/2") and the offset wheels (another 1 1/2") helped as much but my tires didn't follow in exactly the same tracks as theirs. My quad is about 6" wider than stock so the outside of my tires aren't in their ruts. I dunno...makes sense but does it really work that way?

Hey man did build that front lift, if so would you mind telling me how big you cut the metal and how far aprt you drilled the two holes Thanks Alot!!!!!!!

Back