• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Muffler Decibel Test take-two - Stock, TD SuperQuiet, SanDale Hyperflow

Beerman

I can actually hear myself getting fatter
Website
www.loyalshepherd.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder LTX-SE
YOUTUBE
arttyszka
So first, I have to admit that I have a chemical imbalance which makes me always want something even marginally better than what I already have, which is the primary cause of why at Haydays, I decided I needed the SanDale 3" Hyperflow when I have a perfectly good TD SuperQuiet. Allen Ulmer had the SanDale Hyperflow at his booth and I instantly wanted one.

After reading NOS-Pro's fantastic work with the Evo Magnum last Fall, I thought I'd do my best to contribute something to this community. I don't have access to a decibel meter to verify the accuracy of the app (db Meter) I got for my iPhone 7, so take it for what it's worth, but I did base line the stock muffler.

I tried to replicate NOS-Pro's test as best I could using the WI DNR criteria. I placed my phone 48" off the ground on a cardboard box, 159.5" away from the center of the exhaust outlet. The sled was on grass to minimize any echo or amplification from asphalt, but was only 5' away from my driveway, so that could have been a factor. I ran the test at idle (~1500 rpm) and also at the DNR required 2500 rpm, although I exceeded 2500 rpm in every test, some went as high as 2800 rpm, so there are plenty of inconsistent variables in my test.

IMG_3410.jpg IMG_3411.jpg IMG_3409.jpg

The other variable that I struggled with is the Max/Avg reading. This wasn't a problem at idle since I started the sled, walked over to the phone, started the app, let it run for 20 seconds and then stopped the app and made notes. So the Avg reading is accurate. BUT on the 2500 rpm test I had to start the app walk to the sled start it and then hold it at 2500 rpm for 10 seconds, then walk back to the phone and stop it. So the Avg during the 2500 rpm test will be lower than it actually should be since it was factoring in readings while I walked back and forth and the sled was at idle. Enough for all the disclaimers.

Here are the results, readings are MAX/AVG

Decibel reading @ idle
Stock Muffler: 73/71
TD SuperQuiet: 75/73
SanDale 3" Hyperflow: 76/74
No muffler: 89/75

Decibel reading at 2500 RPM
Stock Muffler: 83/75
TD SuperQuiet: 85/74
SanDale 3" Hyperflow: 85/75
No muffler: 91/77

I was surprised how close the TD SQ and the SD HF were to the stock muffler since there's been so much debate over how much louder they are in some people's opinion. But sound levels are very subjective and I'll find out this season what the drone from the 3" SanDale is like compared to the TD SQ, which was FAR better than my stock Apex ever was. The difference in size between stock 2", 2.5" and 3" is pretty dramatic when you see all 3 together. It's amazing (to me) the SW runs as well as it does with the stock muffler's down pipe.

IMG_3413.jpg

At Haydays, Allen told me the 3" Hyperflow made 15 more HP than the 2.5" version, which looks basically the same as the TD SQ (they both use a MagnaFlow 2.5" offset core). The net (for me) is that if the SanDale 3" is about the same in noise as the TD SQ but really does flow as well as a 2.5" straight through like the TD TurboForce or OSP (both beautiful pieces) I've found the perfect muffler - at least for this season until the next chemical imbalance takes hold.

IMG_3424.jpg

Last edited:

Great job while dealing with your imbalance and all. Lol

Does the 3" fit without any mods to the exhaust hole in the belly pan.

On mine - no. I had to grind out the exit a fair amount at the front/inside all the way to the rivets holding the ring in. It fit through the ring w/o grinding but without the grinding I couldn't get the manifolds to line up. Looking at the way the ring is in the belly pan and knowing Arctic Cat's QC, it's entirely possible it varies from sled to sled. BUT - Ben's SuperQuiet fit as well as the stock muffler, it went in and out like butter.

Decibels are measured using a logarithmic ratio. In other words a whisper is 30db, toilet flushing is 75db & a belt sander is 90db. In other words........what did you think? Honest opinion while reving it up

Decibels are measured using a logarithmic ratio. In other words a whisper is 30db, toilet flushing is 75db & a belt sander is 90db. In other words........what did you think? Honest opinion while reving it up
Steve, I'm "almost" as OCD as you . . . What I thought? All opinion now - At idle and at 2500 rpm all 3 were the same. I couldn't personally hear a difference in the sound level at these two speeds (1500 and 2500-2800) - aside from the open turbo outlet. A better test might be on a trail with the sled ripping by at full throttle with a decibel meter. I had the SQ for 1300 miles last year, I never rode it with the stocker (talk about OCD, I had the TD EcoTrail tune, Dalton weights and SQ muffler on before the sled ever touched snow), so I can't say what the difference between the two is on the trail, but I "thought" the SQ was FAR better than my stock Apex. However, there was definitely a drone at certain speeds, which I think was a higher mph on the Winder - maybe 40 mph vs the Apex's obnoxiousness at 25 mph.

But sound is very subjective. I know RockerDan thinks the SQ is too loud, but I personally can't hear a real difference between any of the 3 in this test. I met ShagNos last year in Eagle River and he has the OSP muffler (gorgeous muffler and you CAN adjust the chain), he listened to mine and felt the SQ was noticeably quieter at idle and in the parking lot. I thought the OSP sounded just fine in the parking lot, but he said it got old after a day on the trail. At my age I'd "like" a muffler twice as quiet as stock but still capable of 300 hp, yes it's a pipe dream for now but so was anything better than 9 mpg (and reliabile) when I had a legit 200 hp 2003 TCat, now I have 260+ and 14+ mpg so who knows what the future holds.

Dave Marshall asked me if I'd be willing to test his Hindle-based exhaust and I said "absolutely"! So maybe we'll see how that does compared to these 3. If I get it I'll run the exact same test.

I was honestly surprised how the sled sounded w/o any muffler. I didn't run it long like that but I've heard WAY more obnoxious dumb-#*$&@ kids on 2 strokes pull into gas stations than what the open turbo sounded like in my front yard. My neighbors now have confirmation that I'm insane. Today in Minneapolis was 85F+ and humid as hell. I looked like the redneck I am changing out exhausts in my front yard. I just needed a few cinder blocks to prop the sled up on . . .

And a word of advice to anyone thinking of doing this sort of test who's married, to someone who's "particular", and has a nice front yard - make sure you water the hell out of the spot your exhaust will be blowing into. You'll avoid the scolding later.

Last edited:
So you AND the lawn got scolded. lol. I will wait to see how my sled performs & maybe get to hear some sort of pipe on a 'Winder on the trails. Until then keep burning holes in your lawn & your neighbors' ears....tell them you have 10,000 listeners on-line waiting for results

So you AND the lawn got scolded. lol. I will wait to see how my sled performs & maybe get to hear some sort of pipe on a 'Winder on the trails. Until then keep burning holes in your lawn & your neighbors' ears....tell them you have 10,000 listeners on-line waiting for results
Steve, I wouldn't hesitate to put the TD SQ on, I was very happy with that muffler. How long can you really ride a stock sled? Come on now, be honest with yourself. You know it's eating you up inside.

The TD, SD and Hurricane modded stock mufflers are interesting - but not sure how 2 major turns in exhaust gas flow can come close to the flow/power of the MagnaFlow or one of the straight through mufflers. I've wondered why no one has used/tried a FlowMaster - maybe I'm showing my age but there is NOTHING like the sound of a V8 with FlowMasters, dumped at the axle. I'd like to think they'd sound good on our sleds.

BTW - here's what the SanDale 3" Hyperflow looks like inside with a flashlight at the manifold. The TD SQ is basically the same, only 2.5" - the core Ben uses is a few inches longer, which you'd think will be a bit quieter. You can see why/how this muffler performs.

IMG_3408.jpg

The stock mod muffs with a tune are putting out SERIOUS hp & are only a tick louder than stock. Without gaining access to chain, i'm not sure what the benefit is to a different muffler. I don't need maximum power, heck i don't need more than 200. BUT i can't get a little more power & a little better mpg out of my head.

I LIKE FREEDOM....and a free flowing efficient motor makes me happy. So i'll be watching your reports...

Nice writeup! Always good to see pics and good clear info, nice work.

There is no question Mike at Sandale makes some very Hi Quality mufflers. I started with a 2.5" setup on my CAT Turbo(2012) way back when, and then went up to a 3" outlet and muffler from Sandale and it was serious power. It also was loud as MOFO on that cat engine..lol. But in the end, I had found that Sandale is a really top notch muffler and turbo guy. He designs everything on dyno to bring best results with diff bends ect....knows his stuff and his stuff lasts and last.

Mike is also doing a stock modded 2.5" which is abit more costly then others, but he has nice dyno work to go with it, and shows same HP as his 2.5" muffler. So that is a nice setup for most who dont want anything louder then stock.

What I find with these sleds is....they are not really loud at idle(not much worse then stock) as shown in your tests. But when you hammer on them and get over 7k rpms, they really make some noise, and that is where the 3" will be heard. And for our area no way that would pass as a cop would hear you coming miles and miles away. And for me, its annoying. This again is where the stock modded would work best as its only a tad louder then stock.

Bottom line with mufflers is, know your area. Most of Ontario and QC will ticket and clamp down on noise more and more each year. Ironically these are far less "noisy" then those blipping 2s guys with cans, who are a much higher tone, but because of those guys the cops now want to see things underhood ect, and many want to see that stock certification on the heat shield, so making it LOOK stock is also part of the game.

Ben, Dave, Sandale and a few others have stock Mods now or coming very soon. I saw Excell also now has a stock modded that looks to use stock smaller turbo outlet, and so it KEEPS the stock tune, so that could be interesting for some who dont want to flash ECU. Likely similar to how the Hindle works(keeping overboost down and AFrs good)

Dan

Dan, agree with you on all points. We don't have as strict of noise ordinances as our Canadian friends, so I totally get it - if I lived in Ontario or had the chance to ride in Heaven again (Wawa area) I'd go with one of the stock modded mufflers too.

Guess I'll find out on my first ride if I regret the 3" - but it sure is pretty.

Sandale does make top quality stuff! I really like Mikes stock modded, and the time he put into all the dyno work. Hard to believe it sounds stock too! Great review I read.

Only mod to be done is trim rubber gasget some.

Back