• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My 03 RX-1M almost feels like my 97 Ford Powerstroke Ext Cab

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
As snowmobile season approaches for yet another year I read the new snowmobile magazines, visit the local dealerships, read the post from all the cool guys with their new sleds (again) and probably like the rest of you, I start to get the desire for a new sled.

Although, there's really nothing wrong with my RX-1M, but it certainly doesn't have the piazaz of the hot new iron. This will be my 7th season with the sled and it's been very good to me.

I can think of many reasons why it would be great to have a new sled but, I can think of just about as many reasons why I should just keep it.

Sure it's heavy (but it's built like a brick sh!t house), sure it doesn't make 177 hp (but it's super reliable), sure it doesn't draw a crowd everytime I stop (but it did a few years ago) and I'm ok with that.

Similarly, I stopped by the Ford dealer the other day to buy a fuel filter for my truck. I had to go sit in the new King Ranch Ford Super Duty with the dual turbos. Once again I got the new car scent in my nose and I instantly had the "want-ems" for a new truck.

My 97 Powerstoke certainly isn't the newest truck on the block but, it's been very good to me. It's heavy as he!!, it will wake the dead when I start it in cold temperatures, it will haul my 11 1/2" foot Caribou camper and pull everything I hook to it with ease, it only has 72,000 miles but like my RX-1 it's getting a bit long in tooth.

Chances are I'll keep both for a few more years but it's sure nice to dream about getting a new sled or truck. It reminds me of a motorcycle magazine I read years ago that had an editorial that said " it's much more fun wanting than actually having". I found that to be true in some cases in my life. Once I bought that new big screen TV I'd been lusting over, I moved right on to wanting something else. It must be human nature, I guess?

Sorry for the rambling but, the riding season is right around the corner.

Frosty

The new super duty is nice until you own one.

15mpg HWY is not worth it.

This is the first season i havent really wanted a new sled. I dont know if i am just not excited about snowmobiling anymore or if my supercharger is just making me happy

I really wasn't complaining as much as I was trying to be a realist. Why do I need a new sled or truck? Because my buddies have a new sled and I want to keep up with the Jone's?

My sled like the computer in my son's room (our old one) has had a bigger hard drive installed, more memory, etc. It's at the point where it just doesn't make much sense to throw any more money at it. Where the RX-1 is different is the ability to turbo. That option still has me puzzled.

Sorry, I have to go to work.

Later Frostmeister

Frosty; I'm like you. At this time of year I always get the bug for a new sled. My RX1-MTN runs great, still looks good, gets fair fuel milage, uses no oil, and I have it the way I like it. Plus 1 extra, it's PAID for. I work at a Ford dealership, and everytime a new truck goes out, I have to set in it. Again, I don't have a truck now, but what I do have is paid for. With no snowmobile and vehicle payments, I can go on more sled trips. I was told once "Anticipation is 80% of the enjoyment" and man am I "Anticipating" my Wyoming trip in Feb.

I look at the new Apex and Nytro and start doing the rough math in my head. To get them down to the weight of my RX, to get the ergos to fit me, and to have the features of my RX would be painfully costly. And I could get a small fraction back by selling the old RX.

Then I determine my fun-to-cost ratio. When I am out in the snow with my new Apex or Nytro would I really be having many thousands of dollars MORE worth of fun than on my RX? I don't have the experience to confidently answer that question but am thinking - VERY DOUBTFUL.

Frostbite,

You said a mouthfull within your post. It is all about the "chase" always.... that is part of human nature. The chase is the emotion that keeps you going,. Once you acquire what your were chasing it is almost a let down.............. and then you move on.

I think I will keep my 2005 Rx-1 Warrior for a few more years although the new sleds are enticing. As my friend said when I let him ride it last year., First time on a four stroke, It is like a caddy with balls.........

I still laugh at that statement..enjoy.....

Great comments guys!

I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of buddies you ride with, do they all ride new iron? Or maybe you are the guy with the newest sled? If you ride with guys with really deep pockets that have a new sled every year. The answer is simple, find new friends! LaLaLa

Frankly, My RX-1 is about done with mods (ok, there are always room for a few more) and I'm having almost more fun building an Ovation long track for my daughter and a 97 MM700 for my son.

As long as we are solving all the riddles of the universe. Why do I ever increasingly find myself eyeballing vintage sleds with a lustful eye? :-o And tell me why do we always seem to want the car, truck or sled we had a kid?

Frosty

Hey Frosty,
I think you have it backwards with which friends to stick with. I have the old 05 RX-1 Mtn and my buddies, i has the new XP Doo and 1 has a new 800 Dragon that he is putting a turbo on.
Both guys I have pulled home on there old sleds last year so this time they bought new. Gives me a chance to try out different models and still enjoy my RELIABLE four stroke.

Re: My 03 RX-1M almost feels like my 97 Ford Powerstroke Ext

Frostbite said:
As snowmobile season approaches for yet another year I read the new snowmobile magazines, visit the local dealerships, read the post from all the cool guys with their new sleds (again) and probably like the rest of you, I start to get the desire for a new sled.

Although, there's really nothing wrong with my RX-1M, but it certainly doesn't have the piazaz of the hot new iron. This will be my 7th season with the sled and it's been very good to me.

I can think of many reasons why it would be great to have a new sled but, I can think of just about as many reasons why I should just keep it.

Sure it's heavy (but it's built like a brick sh!t house), sure it doesn't make 177 hp (but it's super reliable), sure it doesn't draw a crowd everytime I stop (but it did a few years ago) and I'm ok with that.

Similarly, I stopped by the Ford dealer the other day to buy a fuel filter for my truck. I had to go sit in the new King Ranch Ford Super Duty with the dual turbos. Once again I got the new car scent in my nose and I instantly had the "want-ems" for a new truck.

My 97 Powerstoke certainly isn't the newest truck on the block but, it's been very good to me. It's heavy as he!!, it will wake the dead when I start it in cold temperatures, it will haul my 11 1/2" foot Caribou camper and pull everything I hook to it with ease, it only has 72,000 miles but like my RX-1 it's getting a bit long in tooth.

Chances are I'll keep both for a few more years but it's sure nice to dream about getting a new sled or truck. It reminds me of a motorcycle magazine I read years ago that had an editorial that said " it's much more fun wanting than actually having". I found that to be true in some cases in my life. Once I bought that new big screen TV I'd been lusting over, I moved right on to wanting something else. It must be human nature, I guess?

Sorry for the rambling but, the riding season is right around the corner.

Frosty

Stop complaining Frosty :tg: Old shoes always fit the foot well.

:Rockon:

Great post Frosty! I too get the urge for a new sled every fall. Especially when my friends get new ones! If you can resist the urge it is also a pleasant feeling to read and learn about the problems the new sled is having. I find it pretty satisfying when you learn that the changes or features they made to the next year's model don't alway work as expected or even improve anything. The best is when the old model you have as a feature the new one doesn't come with.

I agree with the "chase" comment someone made. Seems that it must be human nature to always want things and once we get them then start wanting something else. Pretty bad when some guys apply that philosophy to wives! LOL

Back from the dead Frosty, I broke my back last year on my old 1 ton. I hit a riser guard to the bar at 14 lbs. I remember laying in the snow thinking this sled may kill me. I tossed around the idea of selling it, but cant get anything for it and its like giving up a kidney to see it go. Ill put some labour of love into it and fix it up.

Back