• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My 09 600 Renegade E-tec blew up today

ViperTurboPete

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX LE MPI Turbo
2022 Expedition Extreme 850
Well, I was working today and flying up a lake with the Ski-doo 600 E-tec and the engine seized up. I was about 20 miles up the lake and I had no choice, but to start walking. I hit the start button and it would not turn over at all (seized). So, while thinking about the long walk ahead of me, I hit the starter again and it fired up on one cylinder so I turned around to head back until it would seize up again. This happened every 500 metres and I would have to wait 10 min for it to cool down. Finally, about 2 miles from the truck it quit, never to go again. A guy showed up on his RX-1 and we got the sled back to the truck.
2100 kms
3 jugs of oil
15 mpg (Cdn)
Blown engine
Hard to handle
Not impressed
Didn't mind getting towed by a Yamaha

It would have been a mesmerizing ride on the lake today, bright sunny day, the lake (which is 40 miles long) was table top. Shoulda brought my Yamahas.

Don't have to go to Shiningtree ride. I was up Onaping Lake which is north of Cartier. All kinds of ice (pick up truck driving on the lake yesterday) and I was in snow well above my knees today in the bush. There were sleds everywhere on the lake today. I am sure it is the same up the West Branch road.

Oh ya, I worked all summer at Levack and am familiar with that lake, cant beleive all that ice isnt honey comb yet, ours down here has been like that for a few weeks now.

I really should take a spin up the west branch....

Sorry to hear this, even if it is a Ski-Doo. ;)!

I think the big problem with these new 2-strokes is that they try so hard to make them consume less oil that they pretty much get just enough to stay running and if that is interrupted then Boom!

My old Polaris and Ski-Doo 2-smokes used a gallon of oil every 3-4 gas tanks but they all went over 7,000 miles before needing engine work and always ran good. They even had passages to squirt oil on every moving part and bearing inside the engine. I noticed the newer 2-strokes are using more sealed bearings and less oil. No Thanks!

That is too bad. We had a new E-tec on a trip do something similar but it wasn't the Doo's fault the guy saw it overheating and it kept shutting down and he kept running it till it started smelling like something rotting in the 100 degree sun adn finally it quit for good. It was a nasty smell. Doo put in a new engine for free though.

Nice thing about Doo I noticed is they replace entire engines with new crate ones and dont do the 'only fix what broke' method some companies do where they tear it down and leave who knows how much left over damage that can come back to haunt you down the road.

Our E-tec's never got the magazine advertised 20mpg either usually around 15-18 depending on how much in and out of the throttle they did.

Brought the sled to the dealer today. He said if it is an engine problem (which it is) they will replace it with a new motor.

I remember when my 00 SRX blew up (on the same lake) Yamaha replaced two jugs, 2 pistons and crank bearings. They would not replace the entire motor. The mechanic argued with the Yamaha rep to do so, but no go. The engine has never been the same.

I had a 90 Indy 500 SKS that I put over 18,000 miles on it. I did a crank bearing rebuild at 14 thousand as preventative maintenance. That sled was the best sled I have ever owned. The punishment that sled endured is beyond me.

Well, it is very good too hear that doo is going to drop a new motor into it.

The only issue with yamaha is exactly what you describe with your SRX, they are cheap when it comes to recall/ warranty repair work. Yamaha only replacing what they think needs to be replaced, and not replacing the whole motor may get them out of warranty, but is not the best solution for the owner of the sled/ bike/ atv. I have seen this a few times on bikes with motor issues where they replace 3 cylinders and pistons, but not all 4....

The real saving grace for yamaha is that usually the machines are pretty bulletproof.

RX1MPete said:
Well, I was working today and flying up a lake with the Ski-doo 600 E-tec and the engine seized up. I was about 20 miles up the lake and I had no choice, but to start walking. I hit the start button and it would not turn over at all (seized). So, while thinking about the long walk ahead of me, I hit the starter again and it fired up on one cylinder so I turned around to head back until it would seize up again. This happened every 500 metres and I would have to wait 10 min for it to cool down. Finally, about 2 miles from the truck it quit, never to go again. A guy showed up on his RX-1 and we got the sled back to the truck.
2100 kms
3 jugs of oil
15 mpg (Cdn)
Blown engine
Hard to handle
Not impressed
Didn't mind getting towed by a Yamaha

It would have been a mesmerizing ride on the lake today, bright sunny day, the lake (which is 40 miles long) was table top. Shoulda brought my Yamahas.
Sorry to hear of your bad luck,this is the reason i got rid of my 08 xp800,i traded it in half way thru this winter,and now i am back on an apex again,and smiling all the way,sense mid feb. i put 1910 trouble free miles,and all of them brought big smiles to my face!!! Oh ya,i love the 87 octane i can now use,and no more oil,or smell,oh ya 1900+ miles on the same belt,thats a testiment to yammi clutching,on my doo,i would have gone thru 4-5 belts.

The post about ski-doo being good about warranty made me laugh. I worked as a warranty guy at a large dealership and found some of Ski-Doo's inside dealer notices to just be down right criminal.

Like a bulletin that stated. We installed faulty pistons in 90% of our 700 twins Model Year 2000). Only fix the ones that blow up this year. If they blow up next year, they are out of warranty.

So knowing there is an issue and not fixing it has been my impression of Ski Doo warranty. Atleast this was my impression.

Another funny story was the 700 twin that had 600 twin decals on one side of the hood. They would not pay for the new decal and made, us, the dealership pay for it............... Quality I tell ya. I am still laughing about that one......

Vmax4 said:
The post about ski-doo being good about warranty made me laugh. I worked as a warranty guy at a large dealership and found some of Ski-Doo's inside dealer notices to just be down right criminal.

Like a bulletin that stated. We installed faulty pistons in 90% of our 700 twins Model Year 2000). Only fix the ones that blow up this year. If they blow up next year, they are out of warranty.

So knowing there is an issue and not fixing it has been my impression of Ski Doo warranty. Atleast this was my impression.

Another funny story was the 700 twin that had 600 twin decals on one side of the hood. They would not pay for the new decal and made, us, the dealership pay for it............... Quality I tell ya. I am still laughing about that one......

Now that's typical BRP. They are the worst company to deal with for warranty issues. You dealer has to be a good dealer to get anything out of them.

horkn said:
Well, it is very good too hear that doo is going to drop a new motor into it.

The only issue with yamaha is exactly what you describe with your SRX, they are cheap when it comes to recall/ warranty repair work. Yamaha only replacing what they think needs to be replaced, and not replacing the whole motor may get them out of warranty, but is not the best solution for the owner of the sled/ bike/ atv. I have seen this a few times on bikes with motor issues where they replace 3 cylinders and pistons, but not all 4....

The real saving grace for yamaha is that usually the machines are pretty bulletproof.

Most of the time now Yamaha just drops in a new motor, since they have been all 4 strokes. They just don't blow up, so they usually just drop ship a whole motor right to the dealer and back up and running in a quick amount of time.

Guys the only reason BRP replaces the engine is if you were to buy all the parts to fix it it would cost more than a new engine. Found that one out last winter when a buddys 05 800 renegade blew up for the second time in 3000 kms. BRP is not good with warranty issues its the cost factor to them to repair it.

Back