• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My custom magnetic heated visor + kill switch connector

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
I have seen guys adding the Yamaha tether to their machines and ultimately really like the idea of a tether on a 280HP sled with 192 studs in the track in the event of an accident but really don't want to plug in 2 or more things every time I get back on the machine after the rest of my group catches up. So I made a thing.

sBrhUC0.jpg

scPfULz.jpg

The tether wires in to the aux plug where a normal heated visor plug connects and then connects to the handlebar wire harness to provide a kill signal when the cable is disconnected. I also have a "bypass" switch wired up under the panel for when I inevitably lose the tether or want to swap sleds with a buddy. This also has the side effect of making it so I can leave the key in the sled and no-one can steal it because unless they know where the bypass is (under the body panels) it won't start.

PizUSDj.jpg

Quick connects to remove the plastic cover over gas tank.

0PwFnP0.jpg

Heat shield tape wrapped around all the wires and connectors.

thNu6Dt.jpg

Plastic all put on showing both the normal heated visor connector (still active/connected) and the new one on the panel.

Sweet! Is the connector magnetic like the tether? I just installed a mag tether (from Arctic Cat) on my 17 Viper. The other connector is my heated shield jack with
Resized_20211111_100849_35.jpeg
cover, but I really like the idea of a single connection (and the bypass switch....)

Sweet! Is the connector magnetic like the tether? I just installed a mag tether (from Arctic Cat) on my 17 Viper. The other connector is my heated shield jack with View attachment 163882cover, but I really like the idea of a single connection (and the bypass switch....)

It is a magnetic self mating connector so you don't really need to push it together, it just pulls itself together when you hold the cable near the receptacle. The heated gear connection and kill switch are still an electrical contact but the whole connector is IP69 rated so it shouldn't care about snow or ice.

I was looking at doing exactly what you did but didn't want to plug 2 things in every time I get on/off my sled (I spend a lot of time waiting for the rest of my normal group).

I just got full heated gear for this year and run an oxygen helmet, how many amps is the connector good for and where did you get it?

I just got full heated gear for this year and run an oxygen helmet, how many amps is the connector good for and where did you get it?

The connector I used on mine is rated for 10A but is good to ~17A (The wire insulation melts around 18A in a 100F environment) but there are versions of the same connector rated for up to 40A. Unfortunately, I got the magnetic connectors from work where they are used for some very specialized equipment. The rest of the connectors/switches are normal automotive quick connects I got from Advance Auto Parts.

The connector I used on mine is rated for 10A but is good to ~17A (The wire insulation melts around 18A in a 100F environment) but there are versions of the same connector rated for up to 40A. Unfortunately, I got the magnetic connectors from work where they are used for some very specialized equipment. The rest of the connectors/switches are normal automotive quick connects I got from Advance Auto Parts.
Thanks, there are a couple catalogs I can look through like digikey. Have to be able to find one somewhere.

Thanks, there are a couple catalogs I can look through like digikey. Have to be able to find one somewhere.
Let us know if you find something Kuzzy

Thanks, looks like it is made by rosenberger

Very nice!This is a nice one I am trying this year
https://www.duraprousa.com/products/magnetic-tether.
I have been using this for my heated shield and has worked flawlessly.
Some day would like to have both in one cord.

How do you plan to keep it from filling with ice and snow overnight or when you are stopped for lunch or other reasons? Is there some sort of cover for the receptacle on the sled?

Very nice!This is a nice one I am trying this year
https://www.duraprousa.com/products/magnetic-tether.
I have been using this for my heated shield and has worked flawlessly.
Some day would like to have both in one cord.
Cool Steve, thanks for the links! I wish the heated shield connector had a panel mount for a more permanent solution. Maybe time for some research....

I found that there is a 7 pin trailer wiring that is magnetic, if it wasn't so huge with 12ga wires, it would actually be perfect for this application. It would look like a sci-fi film plugging into your sled every time :dunno:

Cool Steve, thanks for the links! I wish the heated shield connector had a panel mount for a more permanent solution. Maybe time for some research....
Right! I stuck mine in a hole in cowl but a real mount would be way better.

I found that there is a 7 pin trailer wiring that is magnetic, if it wasn't so huge with 12ga wires, it would actually be perfect for this application. It would look like a sci-fi film plugging into your sled every time :dunno:
A 4 pin would be perfect. You have a link to that?

Back