• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My first 50

swampcat

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 S W LTX-GT
Picked up a 2020 LTX-GT in March of 2020. Never got to break it in do to the Crown Royal virus. Fast forward to Jan. 2021. Opening weekend here in St Germain, the trails were basically destroyed with the whopping 8" of snow so far on the ground. My only saving grace was Little Saint is right at the end of my street. Wanting to get this thing broke in and see if its a good one, I filled the tank and hit the lake. 1 1/2 hours later I pulled off the lake with 50 miles on it. At first it struggled to get into the upper 80s, then worked up to the upper 90s. By the time I was done, hit a GPS of 111. On a 1/4 mile pull. This thing is STOCK. Odometer was on 0 when started, GPS was 0, checked when done, odometer read 51.7, gps read 50. So there was 1.7 miles of track spin. Was pulling some wicked power slides through the back bays, where nobody had really tracked up the snow yet, so that amount track spin seems logical for the bare rubber track. Traction will be added as soon as I get it broke in, got a Hurricane 1.75 with 256 I- Grips sitting on the shelf. On the main drag down the barrels, night and day difference in traction. Needless to say I parked it with a smile on my face. Cant wait to see how it runs when broke in fully.

Yup my spring virus 2020 sled. The dealer had to open the dealer ship special just for me to pickup and place it in my new 2-place trailer. When I did pick it finally, the snow was about gone or trails closed. Recently a TY member and I went out with 4" snow. Hope I didn't ruin it getting stuck. May have to head for the frozen lake with my ice scratchers.

Thats the PERFECT WAY to break it in! Hard and fast, and it will be fast.
Thats why it still had ZERO miles on it. The only trackstand run time was the final belt and track adjustment, that happened as it warmed up for its maiden voyage. Surprised how loose the track got in 50 miles. Belt was a good used one so I could whack her right from the start.

Picked up a 2020 LTX-GT in March of 2020. Never got to break it in do to the Crown Royal virus. Fast forward to Jan. 2021. Opening weekend here in St Germain, the trails were basically destroyed with the whopping 8" of snow so far on the ground. My only saving grace was Little Saint is right at the end of my street. Wanting to get this thing broke in and see if its a good one, I filled the tank and hit the lake. 1 1/2 hours later I pulled off the lake with 50 miles on it. At first it struggled to get into the upper 80s, then worked up to the upper 90s. By the time I was done, hit a GPS of 111. On a 1/4 mile pull. This thing is STOCK. Odometer was on 0 when started, GPS was 0, checked when done, odometer read 51.7, gps read 50. So there was 1.7 miles of track spin. Was pulling some wicked power slides through the back bays, where nobody had really tracked up the snow yet, so that amount track spin seems logical for the bare rubber track. Traction will be added as soon as I get it broke in, got a Hurricane 1.75 with 256 I- Grips sitting on the shelf. On the main drag down the barrels, night and day difference in traction. Needless to say I parked it with a smile on my face. Cant wait to see how it runs when broke in fully.

Nice, you will not be disappointed with the Hurricane 175. I have one and have contemplated putting the iGrips in but so far have not really had many instances where I felt I have needed them yet. Northern Ontario though so lots of snow (except this year so far). Mr. Sled put iGrips in his I believe. Looking forward to some reviews before I take the plunge.

Why does not any manufacturer recommend it hard in their instructions?

Think any factory is going to tell you to break and engine in hard to seat the rings? You'll crash and they have a lawsuit on their hands. I break them in harder than they will ever get run in their life and the rings seat well and will make more power then one broken in "by the book". Good power can be had by seating in the rings hard when the crosshatch is still on the cylinders. It takes cylinder pressure to do that, and cylinder pressure is made by wide open throttle getting cylinder pressure n behind the rings. You really have only minutes to to it properly.

break_in_secrets.htm

thanx.htm

You're dead on Mike and for the more conservative types, the motor has already been test run at the factory to make sure it's ok. You won't have a defective motor that's going to blow up by breaking it in hard.

You're dead on Mike and for the more conservative types, the motor has already been test run at the factory to make sure it's ok. You won't have a defective motor that's going to blow up by breaking it in hard.

If Yamaha (or cat) already has test and run the engine fore 1 min of break-in process, It's not necessary anymore?

Yup my spring virus 2020 sled. The dealer had to open the dealer ship special just for me to pickup and place it in my new 2-place trailer. When I did pick it finally, the snow was about gone or trails closed. Recently a TY member and I went out with 4" snow. Hope I didn't ruin it getting stuck. May have to head for the frozen lake with my ice scratchers.
Steve, we did no damage to the sleds...trust me. we could have used a bit more snow but rest assured there's no damage...we would have broken down on the trail if we did. did I leave my blue Colombia gloves at your house? Joe

Think any factory is going to tell you to break and engine in hard to seat the rings? You'll crash and they have a lawsuit on their hands. I break them in harder than they will ever get run in their life and the rings seat well and will make more power then one broken in "by the book". Good power can be had by seating in the rings hard when the crosshatch is still on the cylinders. It takes cylinder pressure to do that, and cylinder pressure is made by wide open throttle getting cylinder pressure n behind the rings. You really have only minutes to to it properly.

break_in_secrets.htm

thanx.htm

Crap, so i have 40 miles on without a WOT run. am i screwed? or whale on it next time out?!!

Back