• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My First SideWinder Problem

sideshowBob

Lifetime Member
Well I have finally encountered a maintenance issue[first one] on my 2019 X-TX LE.
The sled spent the last week or so outside and the temperature today was -34C/-30F. I fired it up and let it warm up to normal operating temps then drove it into my heated shop. After a few hours I went out to look it over for a planned trail ride tomoro and to my surprise there was a small puddle of oil under the sled...yup...you guessed it...oil tank seal is leaking. It seemed to leak out a small amount initially and has stopped now in the warm shop.
The sled has had the roll over valve removed/bypassed since brand new.
I am sure the temperature extreme from cold to normal operating temp has triggered the problem.
I have a BOP oil tank gasket in my parts supply and I am not sure if I will install it or just properly seal the tank with "The Right Stuff"
I guess I will take my Apex on the ride tomoro to be safe.

Be absolutely sure that it is engine oil, not chaincase oil. I made that mistake on my 2020, bought and installed the gasket, still leaked and traced it to the chaincase leaking, having green chain oil helped alot with that lol

You may want to check your oil filter also.Last year and this year on -30c + start ups oil pushed by oil filter seal (oem filter)No leakage from oil tank which is surprising but oil leaked around coating belly pan that lead me to believe it was tank.

I think the sled is definitely rideable but it would make a mess so I am just going to ride the Attak until I get it fixed properly. My Doo riding group guys will be happy as they will occasionally race my Attak but they won't go near my SW.
LOL and that way I get to race them and my Attak typically wins anyway.

How many miles you get out of the oil tank gasket? my 2022 made it 200 and was weeping.. :mad: rov delete from day 1
BOP gasket works..
i don't think the ROV is the issue. Mine leaks @500 miles on my sled. Mine is still on the sled. Removing the ROV or not, the tanks seem to still leak. Mine leaks... I will get it fixed in the spring. Mine leaked from new.

with -30f my oil tank would be in front of the wood stove, then every now and then it would go to the window to look out at the frozen sled...amazed the sled started!! I thought -20 was cold...hats off to our Canadian members riding in that low temp. Joe

You may want to check your oil filter also.Last year and this year on -30c + start ups oil pushed by oil filter seal (oem filter)No leakage from oil tank which is surprising but oil leaked around coating belly pan that lead me to believe it was tank.
Mine did the same thing in Val’Dor a couple years ago. It was -35*F it started hard but it started. I needed to give it some gas to keep running and I think the added RPM pushed the oil by the oil filter gasket, the only year I used 5w30 too. I still have the roll over valve in it to this day and never leaked oil out of the tank seal. 5-6000 on the original seal and another 4-5000 on the barn of parts gasket.

Mine did the same thing in Val’Dor a couple years ago. It was -35*F it started hard but it started. I needed to give it some gas to keep running and I think the added RPM pushed the oil by the oil filter gasket, the only year I used 5w30 too. I still have the roll over valve in it to this day and never leaked oil out of the tank seal. 5-6000 on the original seal and another 4-5000 on the barn of parts gasket.
Interesting comment on the 5W30...I had just changed from 0W30 to 5W30 as well.
Things that make you say hmmmm.....

0-20w anyone???

Back