• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RTX LE 50th BUILD THREAD-ROCKERDAN

Dan, Fantastic work documenting these procedures for us all to reference! I appreciate it very much!

Quick question for you... is there a screen on the oil tank elbow that needs to be cleaned at first oil change? My Apex and Phazer had one that caught shavings during engine break in.
Nothing that i saw or came across....I assume the filter catches everything.

Dan

Apex throttle with heat booster from BOP

In the extreme cold temps we had the last couple weeks, I noticed the stock thumb warmer is not up to par with the grips. BOP has a solution for this. So I grabbed this and will install it this week.

Here are the initial pics. Notice the difference in shape from the stock Cat lever we have.

Thanks Travis!

REVIEW: Got first ride with this and its truly HOT! And the shape is like the Apex was, quite a nice mod for sure...and did I mention its HOT!

Dan

IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1211.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick reminder....

On the very first post of this thread, I have made quick links to all the subjects in the entire build thread, So you can simply bookmark the beginning of this thread and use that first post as an index to everything. I have done this with other build threads and still to this day often refer back to my old build threads for info. I find that this is the best part of having this thread.

Couple screenshots below of post #1 in this thread, you can see the red clickable quick links.

Dan ;)

links 1.jpg

links 2.jpg

Awesome - love the detail in your posts!!

Really keen to see the instal on the new thumb warmer and hear how it works. This is one of my biggest disappointments on the sled and I use muffs!!

Awesome - love the detail in your posts!!

Really keen to see the instal on the new thumb warmer and hear how it works. This is one of my biggest disappointments on the sled and I use muffs!!
Hey Brother!

Happy new year and all.....

I ran a fair amt of early miles before this melt down, and most of them were with the muffs(unlike last season) and even though my hands cook with muffs at minus 30, the thumb was lacking far behind.

I was really looking for more heat, but when I saw Travis's kit on BOP, I did not realize how much diff the shape is from this massive Cat throttle. And heck i loved my apex all those yrs, so this should feel right at home. I wonder if the large lever stock contributes to being colder, hand is more spread out, more surface area to heat ect ect.....

Apex throttle is so nice looking, all moulded back heater section....and then the big bonus is the added booster heater box from ROC himself.....this should make for a killer mod.

Will edit the above post later with installed pics and feedback for sure brother.

Dan

I must say to you Rocker Dan . You gotta be one of the most helpful guy's I have ever MET ON THE FORUMS. It' will be my pleasure to meet you in person . And the first thing I would do is give you a hand shake with a big Thanks for all your help. :) . Hey Dan I'm in the dry cured meat business. Cosmos Smoked meats is our business name . For all your awesome help I would like to mail you a bag of our famous pepperettes. Do you like them hot or mild. also in honey garlic. All I need is your mailing address and I can ship them to you.

I must say to you Rocker Dan . You gotta be one of the most helpful guy's I have ever MET ON THE FORUMS. It' will be my pleasure to meet you in person . And the first thing I would do is give you a hand shake with a big Thanks for all your help. :) . Hey Dan I'm in the dry cured meat business. Cosmos Smoked meats is our business name . For all your awesome help I would like to mail you a bag of our famous pepperettes. Do you like them hot or mild. also in honey garlic. All I need is your mailing address and I can ship them to you.
LOL, well that is a first! haha Thank you!

Im always game to try anything. But really, not needed.

This is a great hobby we all seem to enjoy and love. Seems like since I was a little kid we were always helping eachother with sleds, fixing them all the time, rebuilding them ect ect... Something about this sport that brings out that in sledders. Not really the same in the bike world or other powersports.

;)

Thanks a bunch Dan, in the middle of doing my lower side panel mod right now. Came on to check what size rivnuts you used for the different area's. I got the exact same rivnut kit as you from HB Freight. Wish I would of done this mod before I changed the oil/filter. What an F'n mess till I was done! Was up in Maine between Christmas and New Years and did 608 miles, hooked up with Winter Wolf and rode with him for two days. I have to admit , It looked pretty damn cool two 50th's running together :Rockon:. I set up my suspension as per your post and she rode and handled great. The 5.7s pushed a tad in the loose mealy snow but nothing I can't live with. I did a little mod on my primary to hopefully eliminate some of the clutch rattle at speed. I noticed the bolts that run thru the rollers had about an 1/8 movement side to side. I took the sleeves out and ground each end a 1/16 then added two o rings to tighten every thing up on the spider. Running the sled on the lift with no load on the track the primary definitely sounds a lot quieter. Again thanks for the post's and vids. ;)!

Ice Scratchers - Ski Mounted - ''Trail Blizzer'' by QualiPieces

Came across this design in another thread here on TY a few weeks ago. PowderFalcon posted some pics of his setup, and the "anti-swivel" design caught my eye instantly. I knew I only wanted the ski mounted type, but I was veering away from the cable style as I had seen them spin often. So with this anti-spin design, I really felt these were nice, and look good too. I don't need them often, so I wanted something that looked good removed and easily attached for those certain days when I may need the extra cooling.

The Trail Blizzer really is a top quality kit, and they look great with the cable being covered and not exposed.

I will leave the plates on the ski's, and then just keep scratchers in my tunnel bag along with a 14mm socket and can slap them on in no time on the trail. Also I will add a large flat washer to the backside of the 14mm bolt, to help support it against the plastic ski leg.

I decided to drill the holes and mount them behind the spindles, as I know the pilot skis need all the strength they can get in those front legs. 1/4" hole for the smaller bolt, and 3/8'' hole for main bolt.

They can be hooked up onto back of ski's, but I only plan to run these when needed, and remove them for all normal riding. Not a fan of the hook/holders ect...not the greatest looking.

View attachment 131823 View attachment 131824 View attachment 131825 View attachment 131826 View attachment 131827 View attachment 131828 View attachment 131829 View attachment 131830 View attachment 131831 View attachment 131832 View attachment 131833 View attachment 131834 View attachment 131835 View attachment 131836 View attachment 131838 View attachment 131839View attachment 131840View attachment 131837

Ice Scratchers - Ski Mounted - ''Trail Blizzer'' by QualiPieces

Came across this design in another thread here on TY a few weeks ago. PowderFalcon posted some pics of his setup, and the "anti-swivel" design caught my eye instantly. I knew I only wanted the ski mounted type, but I was veering away from the cable style as I had seen them spin often. So with this anti-spin design, I really felt these were nice, and look good too. I don't need them often, so I wanted something that looked good removed and easily attached for those certain days when I may need the extra cooling.

The Trail Blizzer really is a top quality kit, and they look great with the cable being covered and not exposed.

I will leave the plates on the ski's, and then just keep scratchers in my tunnel bag along with a 14mm socket and can slap them on in no time on the trail. Also I will add a large flat washer to the backside of the 14mm bolt, to help support it against the plastic ski leg.

I decided to drill the holes and mount them behind the spindles, as I know the pilot skis need all the strength they can get in those front legs. 1/4" hole for the smaller bolt, and 3/8'' hole for main bolt.

They can be hooked up onto back of ski's, but I only plan to run these when needed, and remove them for all normal riding. Not a fan of the hook/holders ect...not the greatest looking.

View attachment 131823 View attachment 131824 View attachment 131825 View attachment 131826 View attachment 131827 View attachment 131828 View attachment 131829 View attachment 131830 View attachment 131831 View attachment 131832 View attachment 131833 View attachment 131834 View attachment 131835 View attachment 131836 View attachment 131838 View attachment 131839View attachment 131840View attachment 131837
Dan, can you give me the part number of your scratchers that you purchase, there are three listed.

Thanks a bunch Dan, in the middle of doing my lower side panel mod right now. Came on to check what size rivnuts you used for the different area's. I got the exact same rivnut kit as you from HB Freight. Wish I would of done this mod before I changed the oil/filter. What an F'n mess till I was done! Was up in Maine between Christmas and New Years and did 608 miles, hooked up with Winter Wolf and rode with him for two days. I have to admit , It looked pretty damn cool two 50th's running together :Rockon:. I set up my suspension as per your post and she rode and handled great. The 5.7s pushed a tad in the loose mealy snow but nothing I can't live with. I did a little mod on my primary to hopefully eliminate some of the clutch rattle at speed. I noticed the bolts that run thru the rollers had about an 1/8 movement side to side. I took the sleeves out and ground each end a 1/16 then added two o rings to tighten every thing up on the spider. Running the sled on the lift with no load on the track the primary definitely sounds a lot quieter. Again thanks for the post's and vids. ;)!
Nice, I like that!

Those ALUM rivnuts are hit n miss with the cheapo HB kit. I think over the summer I will upgrade those to a nice SS rivnut, likely all 1/4-20 in size(except the one near right foot which is seen easily)

Dan

Dan, can you give me the part number of your scratchers that you purchase, there are three listed.
Hmmmm.....I believe there is only one trail blizzer. Let me check.

I think the only different part numbers are for the diff tips...steel, carbide, pointy ect....

Mine are these....TB03-400 Has a rounded carbide, more for snow trails then glare ice. Ice you may want pointy.

Dan

Ice scratcher.jpg
ice scratcher.jpg

Back