• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RTX LE 50th BUILD THREAD-ROCKERDAN

Well said Joe...

I try to keep an open mind, and this was a hard one as you know due to the Cat relationship now. And the 2012 yr that put that bad taste in many of our mouths. But I was open to the new 998 design project from get-go, when Chris Reid starting posting it all. I was only one season into my 1200, so it was not easy. While I really loved that 1200 XS, with all the mods I did 110mph was just not gonna be enough when I was used to bigger power for many yrs. So it was inevitable to find myself back in the turbo camp, but it took YAMAHA to get me here. Was not gonna be a cat. Not that the 998 cat is bad.

It will be really interesting if BRP ends up trying to get into the turbo world in the next couple of seasons. That would be a real rivalry for sure then. Beckoning back to the 92,93,94 seasons with the first hyper sleds, when Yammie had the Vmax4 and then BRP had their first MachZ. Fun times.

Dan

And Cat came out with the T Cat in 93 and put them both to shame lol.

Ken, I think alot of us were! haha.

I started on a DOO elan in 69 as a small kid but my first NEW sled I bought around 17 yrs old was a ('86)Phazer 485cc. Also had an enticer 340 ('82) and then it was over to DOO from 88 through 2006 when I got my apex. The cat in 12 was an anomaly for me veering away from doo/yam. And that was a fiasco. No POO ever, but have to admit when Dano got one last season I scoffed, but then ended up LOVING his Assault when swapping. Quite a trail rocket, tons of snap and transfer.

Dan

How old are you Dan? I thought I remember you saying in a post you were 53? But maybe I'm remembering incorrectly? I'm 49, and I was 18 years old in 1986. So if you were 17 in 1986, when you bought your new Phazer, then you're a year younger than me. I remember when the phazer burst on to the scene(I believe it was 1984), I thought it was so futuristic looking...loved it!! Used to love the SRV Back then too...the red and black one especially!!

I bet them stickers are going on his refrigerator in the kitchen !!!!

Oh yes I almost forgot! Off Dootalk now? Seems alot of us 4 strokers left DT for TY. Its a never-ending cycle! lol

Dan

:yam::rocks:
I've been on both sites quite a bit - HCS too but not nearly as much time over there.
I like it here, I like DT...I like any sled that runs good & we have one of each in our fleet :)
I'm at the point in life where I certainly don't need to be the fastest, just the most reliable!

Graphics/Wrap- Knee area

I love the 50th graphic design, but the white panels at the knee area sure will be tough to keep clean. I also felt the graphics could have gone further back around to knee area. So I wanted to do something here, yet keep it very 50th looking overall. I don't mind some wraps but most the time I don't like many of them. And its tough to get anyone to just work with you on just one area around knees. So I ended up doing it all myself.

I had the idea of what I wanted....and so I just did it old school, like I have done many sleds back in the day. Using vinyl and hand-cutting each piece to size, fitting them to the sections I wanted to do.

With these plastics its nice and easy to bring them inside, get them up high where you can work on them close up. Using 91% alcohol to wipe down the surface for prep, and then apply.

Some pics of the process......

IMG_9876.JPG
IMG_9878.JPG
IMG_9879.JPG
IMG_9882.JPG
IMG_9884.JPG
IMG_9892.JPG
IMG_9893.JPG
IMG_9894.JPG
IMG_9895.JPG
IMG_9896.JPG
IMG_9897.JPG
IMG_9898.JPG
IMG_9890.JPG
IMG_9909.JPG
IMG_9910.JPG
IMG_9911.JPG

Graphics/Wrap- Knee area

I love the 50th graphic design, but the white panels at the knee area sure will be tough to keep clean. I also felt the graphics could have gone further back around to knee area. So I wanted to do something here, yet keep it very 50th looking overall. I don't mind some wraps but most the time I don't like many of them. And its tough to get anyone to just work with you on just one area around knees. So I ended up doing it all myself.

I had the idea of what I wanted....and so I just did it old school, like I have done many sleds back in the day. Using vinyl and hand-cutting each piece to size, fitting them to the sections I wanted to do.

With these plastics its nice and easy to bring them inside, get them up high where you can work on them close up. Using 91% alcohol to wipe down the surface for prep, and then apply.

Some pics of the process......

View attachment 131924 View attachment 131925 View attachment 131926 View attachment 131927 View attachment 131928 View attachment 131929 View attachment 131930 View attachment 131931 View attachment 131932 View attachment 131933 View attachment 131934 View attachment 131935 View attachment 131936 View attachment 131937 View attachment 131938 View attachment 131939
Nice job!

Graphics Part 2

I wanted to install some matte black vinyl around the key and 12v plug on dash, as that gloss black section gets scratched up fast there.

I also added the rest of the graphics I had in my design ideas.....

And I got the procross handguards finished with YAMAHA graphics....

IMG_9914.JPG
IMG_9915.JPG
IMG_9916.JPG
IMG_9919.JPG
IMG_9920.JPG
IMG_9922.JPG
IMG_9924.JPG
IMG_9926.JPG
IMG_9936.JPG
IMG_9937.JPG
IMG_9938.JPG
IMG_9943.JPG
IMG_9944.JPG
IMG_9949.JPG
IMG_9953.JPG
IMG_9957.JPG
IMG_9958.JPG
IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_9965.JPG

Last edited:
CAI(Cold Air Intake) - Mocking up my design(Part1)

NOTE: For mockup installation CAI pics(Part2): Quick Jump Link

After getting one of the originals out there last winter for Buds sled, I knew I wanted to tweak my own design, to allow for more airflow to the clutches.

Lots of benefits from a CAI as noted by all the tuners. HP increases and more importantly for me, better throttle response. Most will agree that a TUNE is needed to run a CAI, and I will install mine permanently after I get my initial break in miles on bone stock engine.

Just the removal of the quite large airbox alone is a big bonus for airflow, as seen in these pics.

My design has always been about NOT blocking the front stock VENT, and so I am going with a smaller k&n then some early designs, and will raise it up as high as the hood allows, so there is lots of open vent below the filter flowing air directly back to the clutches, this will even further cool the already cool running yamaha clutches..

I do this by using 2.5" OD tubing with a slight 15 degree bend in it. This in conjunction with the 2.5" ID 90 degree silicone elbow, will allow me to twist the tube/elbow to get it exactly where I want it. I will come back and EDIT this post when the k&n arrives next week. I wanted to hold off on ordering the filter until I was able to mock up the tube and elbow. I also ordered my "outerwears" filter sock which I highly recommend.

IMG_9966.JPG
IMG_9967.JPG
IMG_9968.JPG
IMG_9969.JPG
IMG_9970.JPG
IMG_9971.JPG
IMG_9972.JPG
IMG_9973.JPG
IMG_9974.JPG
IMG_9975.JPG
IMG_9976.JPG
IMG_9977.JPG

Last edited:
Nice stuff Dan! ......looking forward to test ride this puppy as your stuff is usually set up to a T. Can you fit Pizza in that rear bag?

Dan

Nice stuff Dan! ......looking forward to test ride this puppy as your stuff is usually set up to a T. Can you fit Pizza in that rear bag?

Dan
Haha.....We do like our Pizza hut/Boston Pizza runs!

Im going back to my LinQ short bag which was very roomy. The design is very well suited for the short tunnel I have as Im keeping stock bag in place for tools/Belt. Just waiting for my brackets. ;)

So it will be pizza galore from Gravenhurst to Parry Sound to North Bay...haha

Dan

:jump:

Last edited:

Back