• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My take on the sidewinder primary clutch

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
This clutch, which I thought was supposed to be the future of things to come... has taken me to the point I won't even run it anymore. Going back to the previous style primary..... Seen and heard too many horror stories about this primary clutch.

To start out, why have a smaller diameter inside sheave, than the moveable sheave? I mean, C'mon.....
Next, why take away material for strength by the lip of the moveable sheave?

Viper or older Yamaha clutch (Not my clutch, picture provided from another member)
IMG_0028.jpg

Sidewinder clutch (Not my clutch, but a picture I received from a member)
IMG_0029.jpg

This is my clutch and shows black rubber on the top moveable sheave. Nothing on the inner sheave. Yes, the inner sheave diameter is smaller than the moveable sheave. Now I know how my belt crawled over the inner sheave. Belt climbed to the top of my primary, twisted, crawled over and cut it like a knife.
received_10210344651202390.jpeg

received_10210344651082387.jpeg

So you are saying you are going to run a viper / nytro / or apex primary because it is beefier?

I was wondering why guys where not taking that stock clutch off and switching it out with the tried/ true Yamaha clutch and trying it out to see if that solved some of the issues. great info.

fyi I don't own a winder but i'm very interested to see how these are holding up because i thought this might be my next sled. going to hold on to my Apex a little longer to see how these winders hold up.

This clutch, which I thought was supposed to be the future of things to come... has taken me to the point I won't even run it anymore. Going back to the previous style primary..... Seen and heard too many horror stories about this primary clutch.

To start out, why have a smaller diameter inside sheave, than the moveable sheave? I mean, C'mon.....
Next, why take away material for strength by the lip of the moveable sheave?

Viper or older Yamaha clutch (Not my clutch, picture provided from another member)
View attachment 136755

Sidewinder clutch (Not my clutch, but a picture I received from a member)
View attachment 136756

This is my clutch and shows black rubber on the top moveable sheave. Nothing on the inner sheave. Yes, the inner sheave diameter is smaller than the moveable sheave. Now I know how my belt crawled over the inner sheave. Belt climbed to the top of my primary, twisted, crawled over and cut it like a knife.
View attachment 136757
View attachment 136758

I don't think that is a sign of a weaker clutch. For all I know it may be a stronger design not weaker. If you look at other areas of the clutch it is a completely different structural design. To pick a certain area and then jump to the conclusion that it's a weaker design is not necessarily true. I would bet it's a stronger overall design than the older clutch.

As far as your other issue with the rubber I think the different size sheaves aren't the problem. Belts coming over the top of the sheave and flipping have been happening since the good old days so it's nothing new and there are many factors that cause it and it usually has more to do with belts.

Terry did you machine your Primary? I can't see how belt could come overtop unless it was stretching.

I mocked mine up, and at full shift(NO springs obviously) the stock 8JP belt is still down from top edge.

I have yet to mock up the 8DN but want to do that next, as it should be higher up since its longer.

Dan
IMG_1286.JPG

Last edited:
Terry did you machine your Primary? I can't see how belt could come overtop unless it was stretching.

I mocked mine up, and at full shift(NO springs obviously) the stock 8JP belt is still down from top edge.

I have yet to mock up the 8DN but want to do that next, as it should be higher up since its longer.

Dan
View attachment 136769
Dan I thought a belt would need to be wider to go any higher on the primary. Once the primary is fully shifted a proper belt should not be able to climb higher on the primary right?

Dan I thought a belt would need to be wider to go any higher on the primary. Once the primary is fully shifted a proper belt should not be able to climb higher on the primary right?
In my mockup(pic above) the primary is clamped closed fully...belt is down about 3/16" on inner sheave.

Only way its coming out is if it stretches/blows.

I wider belt would remain in secondary moreso too, so that comes into play.

Last edited:
In my mockup(pic above) the primary is clamped closed fully...belt is down about 3/16" from inner sheave.

Only way its come out is if it stretches/blows.

I wider belt would remain in secondary moreso too, so that comes into play.
Ok so in reality the only way it will climb over the top of the primary is if the belt is both wider and longer than what should be used or there is something really wrong.

Ok so in reality the only way it will climb over the top of the primary is if the belt is both wider and longer than what should be used or there is something really wrong.

Or if they primary has been machined.... usually the case !

I think NOS had posted before in other threads that his primary is machined. I’m sure he will clarify.

That comparison picture between the 2 clutches clearly shows that the Sidewinder Clutch has much thicker castings, and is likely much stronger than the viper clutch.

I am not sure what you are looking at, but besides the 2 little areas that you circled in red, the rest of the castings in the sidewinder primary clutch look thicker to me.

Back