• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Two Cents, for what it's worth.

WillowAce

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper L-TX-DX - Sold
2019 Switchback XCR - Sold
2015 Viper L-TX-LE
2019 Renegade 850 - In the shed just in case
2020 Viper L-TX-SE
We whine too much. Yeah, Yamaha did not develop a cutting edge new narrow chassis with a big screen T.V. stuck in the dash. Do I need a cutting edge new chassis? Well, I can't ride the Yamaha SRV chassis to its limits. Nope, Yamaha didn't introduce a new "Yamaha" engine, but what is wrong with the engine I have? My biggest gripe in the past was buying a new sled and then having to put new skis on it the same day, they fixed that. Second biggest gripe, not having more choices for suspension. Yamaha, that is something you can fix without putting profitability at jeopardy. It's simple, give spring orders a choice for upgrade and pass the cost on to us. Color choices, yeah it would be nice but I understand that might not be so practical. Last gripe, and this is a big one; give us a windshield that is actually a windshield as an option. That thing on the SE models is absolutely worthless and the GT windshield is just ugly. There has to be something in between?

Last, but not least. Dollar for dollar Yamaha gives us as much, if not more, value than the other manufacturers. No I might not be getting a cutting edge display, but I am not spending money on a tunnel bag either, or a painted tunnel for that matter. Cost of ownership of a Yamaha has, and always will, in my opinion be the factor it comes down to. One of my riding buddies is a well respected BRP tech. He will tell you that an Etec is a 10K mile engine. As we all know Yamaha 4 strokes have no problem hitting and exceeding 20K while retaining value. Look at it this way, if I buy an Etec for $10K each mile I ride is $1 of life/value gone. A Yamaha is $ .50 a mile gone. Doesn't take a PHd in math to figure those numbers out. To boot, that doesn't take into consideration the $50 gallon of oil I will be putting in ever 400 miles, or the $300 fancy tunnel bag I have to buy if I want to carry my owners manual with me.

Dont forget about the Pricey belts too!!

i will say having a gps is huge,i would pay extra for that

The signs at some places even in the up can be confusing..I have had to use my phone to make sure I was going down the correct trail..and the dam maps are a pain in the #*$&@ when it's below zero..plus there is no room to store a map on my sidewinder

X2 Gautier!! No Gps, map in pocket an off we go!!
Been doin it for long time.

I have never used one while snowmobiling or motorcycling. Maps only.
And I have ridden over 300,000 miles on motorcycles. Maps rock.

the only time i have my gps withe me is when i am in a new area. i mark where i started from and ride. got lost a few times before. now i have where i need to get back to saved in the gps.

I have a handheld GPS that works great, it has maps in it, an altimeter, all of my waypoints, I can mount it where I want and even see the screen. Heck, for that matter all anyone really needs is an accessory plug for your phone and you have all the GPS you need for about $20 extra.

I guess a big reason for me not owning one (besides the one on my telephone) is I dont own a computer and don't want to deal with updating maps and stuff like that.
Heck I've got memory cards filled with videos from my gopro I dont do anything with. :p

gps mount.JPG

I use my GPS all the time. I dont need one built in. I put this one on my quad in the summer. Its nice to know some of the details it offers and I have had to use it to get back to where I was before when I went the wrong way.

View attachment 153942
I use my GPS all the time. I dont need one built in. I put this one on my quad in the summer. Its nice to know some of the details it offers and I have had to use it to get back to where I was before when I went the wrong way.
Looks just like mine. Dakota?

The signs at some places even in the up can be confusing..I have had to use my phone to make sure I was going down the correct trail..and the dam maps are a pain in the #*$&@ when it's below zero..plus there is no room to store a map on my sidewinder
I have at least 30 trail maps in the $30 windshield bag on my Viper. Works great and I can throw my phone in it as it charges while I ride.

Last edited:
This thread just proves we are not one size fits all. I reckon all any manufacturer should do is provide the minimum that there likely is consensus on and either offer accessories or partner with other companies that make custom Yamaha options in their product line. Give these partners prior access to the relevant details so they can offer custom mounts, plug and play options etc.

Back