• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Venture mp thoughts after 300 miles

Jason Harrell

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Arctic Cat F570, 2016 Yamaha Venture mp
image.jpeg
I thought I would add a 10:30am sunrise picture...calm before the storm. Not many storms so far this winter, so lack of snow is why I only have 300 miles so far. The mp has started flawlessly so far( down to -20f ...warm winter so far). The switching to/from fwd and reverse has been instant and flawless as well. The steering has become slightly sloppy, but I believe there was a thread about that somewhere. I will want to upgrade any steering bushings, or whatever is needed after this season. Coming from a 2-stroke, I am always happy to come home not smelling like burnt oil. i really like the ride comfort and style. I came from a rider forward snow machine, so was used to the ride style. I do want to soften the sway bar, but it's not a big deal for me. I do admit, I did like the sound(or lack of sound) of my friend's doo 900 ace, but I would have bought one if that's what I wanted. I don't regret getting the mp for even a second.

Almost forgot to mention the low end power available is very nice, and will be put to good use. I got her up to about 85mph tops before I had to slow down. The ride feels very capable and manageable over frozen tundra....love it!

...hi Jason
...haven't ridden mine enough to give an opinion on yet.....but can add that I to really find the seat and ride very comfortable..I had to reread the manual on adjusting the hand and thumb warmers..like YukonMP said ...".you need oven mitts" if they are set high...
.....the rear rack is pretty handy as well...I have a T-Bag brand pack that I use on my motorcycle and it fits the rack like a glove...also purchased the windshield bag...197312_10150430623700237_875930236_17478877_236365_n.jpg

Got the windshield bag....very useful. I bought used Simmons gen2 skis, but due to low snow this year, have not installed them yet. Had the track studded on the outer edges...awesome addition. I bought cable ice scratchers and will probably install them today. Looks like you ride in some beautiful country.

Hi Jason. I'm thinking of getting a used Venture MP over here in Galena, and wondering if you still like it. I'd use it for most of the same reasons as you seem to: hauling wood, getting out to the cabin, some trail breaking and grooming, etc.

It's clear that the narrow skis need to be replaced, and sway bar might need to be disabled or loosened. But have you been dealing with the tunnel icing problem that Rear exhaust Yamahas are known for? I see some of the mods that other folks have done to prevent this, but wondering if you've had to resort to that.

I currently drive a 2014 Polaris Indy Voyager 550 fan, and need something with more hp and more fuel efficiency. Despite the name, it's not a good choice for actual voyages at 8 mpg. I'm hoping to pop over to Unalakleet sometime soon for pizza!

I’m very satisfied with mine as it does what it is designed for. Very comfortable ride and excellent low end torque. Even had some guys that ride bigger 4 strokes take it for a spin and we’re surprised with the off the line torque.
Only downfall I have with it is the noisy tunnel and exhaust noise at mid range and top end.

Thanks Roy.

What's the throttle like on an MP? Not fly-by-wire electronic like the newer Skidoos with ACE engines, I hope? Not a fan of that system.

And does the rear exhaust mean the seat is heated?

Very happy with mine so far... tunnel icing happens, but it’s not a big deal for me...takes a minute to knock it out when it does build up. The Simmons gen 2 skis make a huge difference in deep snow. After hearing stories from people in my area about how their ski doo 900 ace would quit for no reason, and questionable wiring from factory, I’m even happier with my sled. One guy even gave up looking for the issue on his doo 900 ace after weeks of troubleshooting and ended up buying another sled( another ski doo:bash:). Anyways, it’s a simple, reliable, no frills sled. Good on gas, not tippy once you get used to the rider fwd feel. I had anchorage Yamaha add studs and in line coolant heater, and battery heater. I have no issues with starting around -20 to -25. Doesn’t usually get too much colder here.

I'll add my two cents.

Regards the skis, I went with 8 inch powderhounds and am very happy with them. Generally I don't make much more than 30 km in a day if its cold so the icing is not an issue. I just let it freeze solid overnight and pound the bumper, snow flap, tunnel and footboards with a rubber mallet and all the ice comes off. I have done 90 km in minus 20 and I iced up but not badly.

The throttle is not fly by wire and replacement/spare keys don't cost the price of a good fox. No heat in the seat but I find it a warm and comfortable sled to ride.

For anyone considering a sled I always like to remind them that they all break down.When it happens I have a great Yamaha dealer and this site to help me out. So far no repairs of any significance in 10 500 km. Once I lost my oil prime doing an oil change and twice it has been swimming but with the help of this site I've taken care of it all at home at little or no cost.

Back