• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My VK 2 won’t turn??!!

Big Bertha

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 VK PRO 2
Hey all, first post here and this is my first utility sled. 2018 VK. I boil it used and it will need new carbides. I took it for a rip today and it just won’t turn. Just plows when I turn in snow just like I was on ice or something. What are you guys doing about that? I was thinking getting one of those double carbides? Thanks for your help.

i would 1st check if there is even carbide left on the host bar.

Yes it’s there but it’s pretty worn away. I bought it used, and it’s a bit unkept. What would you recommend for maximum turning performance?

i prefer 6" stud boy shaper bars or 6" woodys with the square host bar. they help make the keel on the ski more pronounced and helps the sled turn better. that is what i use on both my xtx's, my et410 and the phazer in my signature as well as on my dads sx venture. too much carbide can make it slide worse.

i prefer 6" stud boy shaper bars or 6" woodys with the square host bar. they help make the keel on the ski more pronounced and helps the sled turn better. that is what i use on both my xtx's, my et410 and the phazer in my signature as well as on my dads sx venture. too much carbide can make it slide worse.
Ok, check that one out. I have another question. The rear suspension is hard like a rock. When I looked at the skid I noticed this black plastic triangle gizmo and it’s set to “hard” on both sides. The other settings are medium and soft. How do you adjust these things? Looks like you turn them somehow? Do you have to loosen some bolts before cranking on them? Would you know by chance?

there is usually a wrench in the tool kit that you use to turn them. nothing usually needs to be loosened, at least on any skid i have adjusted them on. try them on soft as stock setting was usually medium. adjust as each user needs their own setting for loads pulled on in rack.

you might have to take some spring tension out on the front shock in the skid too as it might act like a teeter totter pivot if it is set too hard.

Ahh, ok. I’ll check that front shock. If it’s to stiff and I bet the teeter affect is causing the sled not to to steer. Plus the crappy carbide. Thanks for that info.

there is usually a wrench in the tool kit that you use to turn them. nothing usually needs to be loosened, at least on any skid i have adjusted them on. try them on soft as stock setting was usually medium. adjust as each user needs their own setting for loads pulled on in rack.

you might have to take some spring tension out on the front shock in the skid too as it might act like a teeter totter pivot if it is set too hard.
So I checked the front shock ( in the skid) and it to is cranking all the way to stiff. So if I soften up the skid with the shock and the plastic triangles will it turn better? I mean push the skis less? Cause right now it’s horrible. And what’s the best , most turn worthy carbides to get? What does everyone swear by for these big Berthas?

put the front skid shock to about 1/2 way on adjustment and try it. that is how it would have come from factory.

with the suspension softer, there will be more pressure on the skis witch will help it turn better.

not many people post up the carbides they put on these sleds. the ones i posted are the ones i use on all the sleds i can get them for. i cannot get them for my vk at all as it has dinosaur steel oe skis that i can only get round bars for. probably going to make my own when it needs the next set.

put the front skid shock to about 1/2 way on adjustment and try it. that is how it would have come from factory.

with the suspension softer, there will be more pressure on the skis witch will help it turn better.

not many people post up the carbides they put on these sleds. the ones i posted are the ones i use on all the sleds i can get them for. i cannot get them for my vk at all as it has dinosaur steel oe skis that i can only get round bars for. probably going to make my own when it needs the next set.
Ok I will do that tomorrow and try it. Thanx.

Back