• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My yxz1000r 500 mile report

srxpert

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 viper
After a very long wait my YXZ showed up on Oct 23. I had a Rzr 800s and had a lot of fun on it. My biggest issue was the constant repair. Every time I rode it something else had to be replaced. So I decided to upgrade.
I brought my machine home on Friday and put a short 10 mile ride on. I was doing my best to break it in by the book. It rode a bit stiff in the rear which I expected. I left everything stock. Saturday I put on 78 more miles. Again by the book keeping it under 7000 rpm. It was a little light feeling in the rear so I lowered the air pressure to 14psi. This made it handle much better and soak up the bumps a little better. The next weekend I softened the shocks to the softest setting on the spring and low speed compression. I left the front at factory settings. Now it is starting to rock!! I put on another 128 miles on it starting to drive it like it was ment to be driven,but still not all balls out. I changed the all the fluids and did a complete check over. Happy to report there were no issues found. My biggest complaint is the rear A arms are chipping paint. After a couple hundred miles there were a lot of chips. Not a deal breaker.
Now the fun begins. I can tell you this thing is flat out flies. I found the 78 mph top speed more often in 300 miles than I thought I would in its entire life. It's just like a great sled. You don't feel like your going nearly as fast as you are. I did however have one close call with a deer at high speeds. Not a real good feeling. This machine is made to be ridden like a two dollar hooker. Hard and fast. Just how I like it. It's a little rough at slow speeds but exceeds every expectation over 30 mph. Let me say this is not a Sunday cruzer. The motor really wakes up over 7000 rpm. I can see having to replace the rear tires within a rear. Seems they are always spinning.
I was told I would get sick of shifting it after a couple of rides. That was total bs. Talk about having total control of your machine. I feel as tho I am one with it. If I feel like being lazy I just shove the shifter into 3rd and Cruze. I can go from 12mph all the way up to 58mph without shifting. With a 10500 redline it just screams!!!the suspension really softened up after about 350 miles. Ride it hard ride it fast and it will love you forever.
The one great thing about where I live is they never close the UTV trails. They are open all winter long so if I don't enough snow to ride the viper I can take out the UTV. I really enjoy this machine, as much as I enjoy my sleds. Maybe more. The cost was a bit to swallow but would do it again in a heart beat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 270

I understand why you are doing the easy break-in (to satisfy warranty), but to me, this is the worst way to break in a motor. I have built quite a number of V-twin Kawasaki ATV motors over the last 3+ years and they get run hard for break-in. Pretty much only allowing it to warm up to operating temperature before running it hard. About 4 years ago I broke in the first big bore motor build in a field in January and the very next time I rode it was ice drag racing with friends on Gun Lake.

Hello Shane, good to hear from you.Great review on your new toy. ;)!
Do you think you will be able to make any of the TY rides this year? Really enjoyed riding with you a couple years ago, hope to do it again sometime.
Take Care, Dan

Why did they make the 1049cc engine a 998cc and not use the 4cyl instead?
There is suppose to be a MFG'S agreement not to exceed 1000cc. Im not sure why they did not use the apex motor. This thing is a blast to drive. I am hoping to turbo it next year

Looked into buying one these,they are a nice but way too much money in Canada....Was quoted $250.00 a month for 15 years!! That's $45000.00 by the time its paid for.

There is suppose to be a MFG'S agreement not to exceed 1000cc. Im not sure why they did not use the apex motor. This thing is a blast to drive. I am hoping to turbo it next year

It's a law in many states that they cannot exceed 1000cc's. The guys from Yamaha at Haydays, (right around the time of release) could not confirm that this engine would be used elsewhere. I find that hard to believe. I truly think they wanted a new engine that could be turbo'd in more than one platform and, dare I say, MFG. Very strong rumors from the Arctic Cat forums that a 2017 Wildcat XX could have a turbo version soon. Some speculate a 16.5 version, others say 2017.

Back