• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need advice for 2015 VK Professional.

BrianI

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha RS Viking Professional
Hello everyone. I just purchased a used 2015 Yamaha RS Viking Professional with only 350km. I pick it up in a week. I've done a bit of reading but would appreciate any advice. What modifications or upgrades should I consider to make the sled better? Such things as 1) are 11" ski skins worth it? where to purchase them? 2) should the sliders be upgraded to Dupont? 3) Install better ski carbides? what type? 4) with only 350km I assume the motor isn't broken in yet, synthetic oil? 5) does the exhaust create a lot of problems with ice buildup under the rear tunnel? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Congrats on the purchase, regarding ski skins, none availiable for that year as it has the 9 in wide skis all ready, which is wide enough for deep snow. as for carbide I use the quail pieces cobra heads, good bite with no darting, stock slides are good just install a set of ice scratchers, got 12,000 Kms out of mine with the scratchers installed, check with the local dealer but, Yamaha doesn't recommend synthetic oil until a minimum of 3000 kms. ice in the tunnel is no big deal, carry a small rubber mallet under the seat or Yamaha sells the exhaust re routing kit for under 200 bucks but it is a time consuming job as you have to remove the whole deck that sit on top of the tunnel! Other than that alway carry a set of snow shoes and a small shovel, if you happen to get stuck this will most definitely get you and the sled moving again without you over exerting yourself! It's a reliable and durable sled that's underrated! Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback guys. For carbides can I assume 8" length?

I run Totaltek. I prefer them in front of Woody’s. They are thicker than Woody’s, so they add some grip even in looser snow.

I get icing , pretty bad sometimes. I think it all depends on the conditions, the worst was my wife and I on a return trip from Iqaluit maybe 150km, temps around -40c. A chunk of ice broke free while under way it ran along the top of the track slammed into the bulk head and stopped the track for a second. I knew exactly what happened and was a little concerned about bending or breaking the drive axle. It hit so hard my wife thought I slammed the brakes on and was in a panic situation. This all happened at about 50-60kph. I was happy to see and feel nothing was bent or broken and continued on. Only happened the one time. But they do ice. I just kicked a large chunk that continually forms by the snow flap/tunnel junction out this morning when I was warming the machine up for my wife to go to work.
Just roll with it if it happens it happens. I absolutely love my Pro and will deal with a little icing.

Bad that I have found
Bushing wear badly in the front suspension
Heavy, but built like a tank and will give many, many years of service
a little tippy, not bad though
block heater is your friend when it gets cold(I have torn up 1 starter and 1 one way bearing being lazy and trying to start at -40c)
track clips have bent and wiped out my sliders and part of the rail(I am leery of using DuPonts for this reason could be expensive)

The Good
These suckers HAUL THE MAIL- the little go flipper on the right side of the handle bar will put a big smile on your face
On a number of occasions I have hauled 1000+ pounds on a qamotiik and you don't even no its back there
They are a Cadillac/Tow Truck/Sports Car all in one, just not an off road racer the you notice the weight in the bumps
They are warm and comfortable, it's a couch with skis
I run Stud boy Deuce runners and they make it turn on a dime in any condition
Same maintenance schedule as any other brand of snowmobile

My advice, use it, beat it, work it, it will take what ever you dish out at it. Then fix what breaks, if anything does and oh ya love it, I know I do.

Hello everyone. I just purchased a used 2015 Yamaha RS Viking Professional with only 350km. I pick it up in a week. I've done a bit of reading but would appreciate any advice. What modifications or upgrades should I consider to make the sled better? Such things as 1) are 11" ski skins worth it? where to purchase them? 2) should the sliders be upgraded to Dupont? 3) Install better ski carbides? what type? 4) with only 350km I assume the motor isn't broken in yet, synthetic oil? 5) does the exhaust create a lot of problems with ice buildup under the rear tunnel? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I use Snow Tracker Semi-Aggressive system on my skis. This greatly improved the steering and It handles perfect with absolutely no Darting. You should upgrade the sliders and also add a set off Ice Scratchers and the Exhaust Re-Route kit will eliminate the icing in the tunnel. I also studded my track.

I use Snow Tracker Semi-Aggressive system on my skis. This greatly improved the steering and It handles perfect with absolutely no Darting. You should upgrade the sliders and also add a set off Ice Scratchers and the Exhaust Re-Route kit will eliminate the icing in the tunnel. I also studded my track.

Yes these can be tippy machines and they are heavy, I would definitely upgrade the sliders when they wear out ice scratchers if you are in low snow, ride it for a few miles and see what you think everyone rides in different conditions. I just carry a rubber hammer to take care of the ice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty good sled right out of the box... Just drive it . It has enough grunt it will spin the track. If it doesn't handle/ pull or stop fast enough maybe install track screws or studs... as mentioned in previous posts. Get yourself a nice thermos for under the seat. Can't do that on most other sleds. One thing for sure the VK is unique and will do it all. Enjoy.

Barry do you know if the snow trackers will fit the wider 9 inch ski on the 2015 Yamaha VK10 Professional?

I have the exhaust turnout kit on my 2020. Everything the guys say about just using a mallet is true, that is how I run with my MP. It really comes down to how badly your conditions cause icing and whether you are willing to take a minute with the mallet. Either way it cannot be ignored because the ice chunks have ruptured heat exchangers before.

I noticed how many of the responses came from new members and from Sweden. Welcome and I hope you all have a bit more season left.

Back