• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Cat ZR skid frame template or measurements

nhrxrider

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Hi

I decided to install the Cat skid frame into my RX, anyone have templates or measurements? Closeup pics of the mounting locations? I need to get this done for a ride next weekend. Please help! Thanks! Oh, its an '03 RX shorty and the skid is a '99 ZR700 shorty.

Jim

Well I got the skid installed at the end of last week, and now have almost 500 miles on it. Read on:
Installation: Pretty simple. Measure and drill the front holes in the tunnel. I made reinforcements from 1/8" aluminum sheet to go around the new bolt holes. I cheated on the rear holes and raised them about 1" so they would go through the tunnel instead of making a bracket which extends under it, but I need to do the brackets. It just sits a hair low.

First ride: WAY too soft. Bottomed easily. Rubbed the tunnel protectors under hard acceleration and/or large bumps. Ratcheted badly. Found track was a little loose (oops), tightened that and adjusted the limiter straps, and it stopped ratcheting and firmed the suspension somewhat. 10 miles later, and things seemed to settle in and the suspension firmed up a lot more and it rode great!!! Did 200 miles the first day.

Next Day: Suspension was settled in nicely. Did 275 miles and found it worked great on the trail. Besides the obvious improvement in rear suspension ride, it allowed more weight transfer for more traction under acceleration, while still giving a great ride and the bonus- NO more SKI LIFT! This thing corners FLAT! I was riding with a guy on a ZR900 and he was very impressed with the cornering.

What I would change: I'm going to make up the proper rear mounting brackets to lower the suspension (raise the rear of the sled) to eliminate the track from rubbing the tunnel protectors, and give me all of the suspension travel. I also ordered up the coupling kit that the new Cats use for a firmer ride and better suspension action. It should be well worth the $130. I also ordered the rail reinforcement brackets that the new Cats have, so when these parts are installed I'll basically have an '03 skid frame instead of a '99.

Because the season is almost done, and I spent money in unplanned areas, I recycled the track from my ZRT. Its an older model Cat track which had 96 studs. It was a MAJOR improvement over the stock '03 RX track, but I can see where I should put my money in the future...I'll have a new Ripsaw track before next year.

Jim

Back