• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Help on This One - Primary

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Trying to get the primary off today and it appears to be stuck. Tried everything i know and i am tapped.

I know this is supposed to be easy and elementary but need help.

My royal distributing puller and impact gun bottom out - nothing.
Tried my friends puller that is a ‘Yamaha’ puller - and bent the end.
Used the heat gun to get the clutch hot - nothing
Sprayed penetrating oil in behind the clutch and in the bolt hole - nothing.
Tried tapping the end of the puller with a hammer to ‘shock’ it loose - nothing.

Anyone have any idea what could possible be going on here.?
Thanks
MS

I've had success using a couple pumps of grease in the crankshaft. Then insert the puller and run it down. The grease seems to increase the force of the puller and the clutch pops off.

Reactions: krm
Once you pump the end of the shaft full, do you use the impact gun and give it a rap - or a breaker bar and go slow?
MS

Don't fill it, just a pump or two at most. I've always used an impact, but others claim it will damage the shaft.

Try put grease in tighten puller by hand breaker bar, get it tight. Leave it over night tap it in morning, she’ll pop off. tighten to 55 lbs when you put back on, warm motor up check 55 lbs. I don’t tighten to 100 and then retighten to 50 , because it might not come off, no IMPACT just the way I been doing it for years,

The hands-down best way to remove a stubborn clutch is this- 1)tip machine up on right side.
2)fill clutch bolt hole almost to the top with very heavy gear oil. 3)put plenty of plumbers thread tape on threads of puller .
4)use 1/2 impact gun and run the puller in as fast as possible.
The clutch will come off even before the end of the puller bottoms on the crank from hydraulic pressure.
It's amazing how well it works.

Try put grease in tighten puller by hand breaker bar, get it tight. Leave it over night tap it in morning, she’ll pop off. tighten to 55 lbs when you put back on, warm motor up check 55 lbs. I don’t tighten to 100 and then retighten to 50 , because it might not come off, no IMPACT just the way I been doing it for years,

Thanks for the comments -
I have now tried a few pumps of grease then tried the impact - nothing
Filled it more and then zapped it with the impact - nothing.

I have resorted to filling it, then turned it with the breaker bar and will leave it overnight. I don’t have my torque wrench with me but seriously - there has to be way over 120 ft lbs on the bloody puller.

This one has really got me. This sled is new, with only one season on it totalling a whopping 2600km (sarcasm) on it. Who the h_ll put it on this tight.

I am not holding out it will magically be off tomorrow. Only thing i can think of is to add heat and hammer......
MS

Thanks for the comments -
I have now tried a few pumps of grease then tried the impact - nothing
Filled it more and then zapped it with the impact - nothing.

I have resorted to filling it, then turned it with the breaker bar and will leave it overnight. I don’t have my torque wrench with me but seriously - there has to be way over 120 ft lbs on the bloody puller.

This one has really got me. This sled is new, with only one season on it totalling a whopping 2600km (sarcasm) on it. Who the h_ll put it on this tight.

I am not holding out it will magically be off tomorrow. Only thing i can think of is to add heat and hammer......
MS
Forget the grease, just follow my instructions exactly. It works.

The hands-down best way to remove a stubborn clutch is this- 1)tip machine up on right side.
2)fill clutch bolt hole almost to the top with very heavy gear oil. 3)put plenty of plumbers thread tape on threads of puller .
4)use 1/2 impact gun and run the puller in as fast as possible.
The clutch will come off even before the end of the puller bottoms on the crank from hydraulic pressure.
It's amazing how well it works.

This is the BEST way to get a stubborn clutch off, hands down.

Agree with the "hydraulic" method, most any liquid will do.

The best is to use water and cut the puller or use a bolt, fill up the clutch bolt hole with water have alot of thread tape, then torque it really really hard after that you use heat gun in the primary. It will pop off. This works even if the clutch had spin on the cone.

Don't forget to scotch brite pad clean output shaft and clutch bore then a ultra lite film of anti seize before reinstallation.

Back