• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Info on the Ski-Doo REV XS Chassis

DeepFrz

Expert
Good morning fellow TY'ers,

It seems a bit odd that I'm asking a Ski-Doo question on TY, but apparently a wonderful admin over on DooTalk decided to delete my account because I stated I owned a Yamaha in my profile.

After riding Polaris and Yamaha my whole life I have decided I want to add a short track to my fleet for when the winters are lackluster in northern MN. I really hate the look of the newer "Rush-style" Polaris snowmobiles and have always had fun on rental Ski-Doos out west so I'm thinking of buying a used MXZ.

Just looking for information from other TY'ers who also own Ski-Doos.
- Is there anything I should watch out for?
- Were there any substantial changes to the 800etec motor or Rev XS Chassis between 2011 and 2016?
- Can a used 800etec motor be trusted?
- General thoughts on team yellow sleds?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the 800 ETEC had plenty of recalls in the first couple years. But have been solid since. So run the VIN and be sure it has had all recall and service bulletins addressed. Many had bad cranks or even full engine replacements. Some were honored outside of warranty. Many had BEST (SkiDoo YES) warranties added as well.

I do believe it was 2016, when the MXZ officially went from 120" to 129" as well. It's worth going after. And whenever you have the chance to purchase an X model over an Adrenaline etc, do it. The X and XRS models will hold their value better. You will also get upgraded graphics, seats and gauge packages. Not to mention much better shock packages on the spring order X models. They are a bit limited supply as you can only get an X as a spring order. So they are highly desirable. You can save some money as well, by going adrenaline and then buying aftermarket shocks.

Any of the Linq products are expensive options. So if buying used watch for those options included. Factory covers are the best in the business, but very expensive. So if they include them, it's a welcomed bonus.

Honestly, If I didn't love my Apex so much, a Doo would be in the stable. I have helped my buddies all buy Doo's over the past years. Once setup, they are great trail runners.

I just saw a 2017 MXZ-X 850 North of us for $7500 with 1700 miles on it!! That's a steal and a half!

Good luck,

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely looking for a used one. I can't justify having two sleds and all that money tied up in a sport involving all the bad winters we've had up here lately. On Friday I plan on looking at two used ones down south...

- 2012 Ski-Doo MX Z TNT 800R w/ ES and 2500 miles. All updates have been done to it.
- 2014 Ski-Doo Renegade Backcountry 800R w/ ES and 3200 miles. Also has Linq storafe bag and fuel can, fox float 3s, and C&A skis. Not sure on the history of this one, but plan on calling on it later today.

The MXZ is listed for a better price, but doesn't have much included with it. I'd prefer a short track, but the 137 Renegade might be a pretty fun sled around here.

Ultimately, I just want to experience what Ski-Doo has to offer. Been on Yamahas for the past 12 years and absolutely love them.

2012 was a tough year, as the R-motion skid was released in X-models only. If you go that vintage, get an X as the R-motion is night/day difference. I would pony up the extra for a 2013 or newer. R-motion was released in the Renegades I believe in 2013 models as well. That extra tunnel space does allow for two Linq items rather than just one, or stacked as well.

The backcountry has been a high-demand model, just keep in mind that it does have a narrower ski stance. It doesn't mean you can't trail it, as it is adjustable width, sort of like the spindle spacers on the Phazer. If you are looking at older vintage as well, if you buy and 800r, be sure it is an ETEC and not the PTEC 800r. The backcountry in newer flavors got the T-motion skid and flex edge track. These will not trail as well as the older Backcountry's. You may be better of with a straight up renegade. 2015 were still R-motion, where 2016, they went with T-motion.

If you are unsure of specs, all the literature for the older models is available online too. Check out this link for info.

https://www.ski-doo.com/owners/previous-model-years.html

Sorry, they dropped the info prior to 2015

Good luck!

Mark

Back