• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need info regarding oil change.....

Stubbs

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
‘16 Apex XTX with 137” Mono II
+ other gooodies
Hey guys,

I really hope that someone can shed some light on these questions. I've got an '06 Nytro. I have found the drain plug for the sump no problem, but I would like to know if there is one on the bottom of the engine as well. Ihave the access panel off and can get at the filter with out a problem, but I can't see, or feel any sort of drain on the bottom of the motor. Am I looking for something that isn't there? Sorry boys, but this is my first four stroke.
I am in need of the appropriate wix filter number for my ride too, so if any one has it that would be a big help......I'd like to keep paying WAY too much for a real Yammy filter. (Yeah, I'm super cheap)
Lastly, I'm confused with what grade of oil these scooters leave the factory with. I've always been told that good old fasion dino oil is best for a fresh motor until brake in is complete, but the 0w30 Yammy specs is semi-synthetic...... is that what's in it from the dealer? If so now what? I've only got 400mi on it so far(little girl was born day before Christmas eve) so my break-in period is by no means close to over. Should I run dino, or just go with semi-syn. again?
Sorry for the long post, but the more I dig into this first time venture the more questions I have. These three bangers are very different then my old man's rx.
Thanks for any replies.

Stubby.

The oil drain in down buy the filter, I think it takes a ellen wrench, they have a mark there so you can find it. I always use the Yamaha oil 0w30 , some other use full synthetic . they come from the dealer with the yamaha oil in them, the drain plug is on the clutch side of the oil filter. I use the kn-147 because they have the nut welded on them, makes for a easy install, make sure you get the o ring with the filter when you take it off.

Hey Storm,

Thanks for the quick reply. There are three allen bolts below the oil filter, but you say it's the one on the left (pto side of motor)? Thanks for the heads-up. I'll go pull it and let the draining begin.

its very close to the oil filter from the filter its forward and slitly to the pto side, its the only ellen close to the filter, also has a washer(seal) on it.

STORM-CHASER said:
The oil drain in down buy the filter, I think it takes a ellen wrench, they have a mark there so you can find it. I always use the Yamaha oil 0w30 , some other use full synthetic . they come from the dealer with the yamaha oil in them, the drain plug is on the clutch side of the oil filter. I use the kn-147 because they have the nut welded on them, makes for a easy install, make sure you get the o ring with the filter when you take it off.

Who makes the kn-147 filter???????? And how much??. Thanks. MM.

STORM-CHASER said:
Who makes the kn-147 filter???????? And how much??. Thanks. MM.

here is there web site http://www.knfilters.com/ . I order mine at the local advance auto for 12.00 each

wahts nice it the nut welded on the end[/quote]

Thanks... I just realized it is K&N who makes them...... Silly me :o| I "WILL" be using it for next years oil change.. MM.

I ran the stock Yamalube semi-synthetic through my second oil change. Then at 1700 I switched over to Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Tfin said:
I ran the stock Yamalube semi-synthetic through my second oil change. Then at 1700 I switched over to Mobil 1 full synthetic.

I use 5W30 Synthetic oil and Fram filter PH9715. The filter is a little bit longer than the stock filter and you will need to place the filter through the drop out hole (closest to the PTO side); once in the drop out hole, the filter threads on perfectly. I prefill the filter with oil and always check the filter for heat (circulating oil) while sled is running.

Complete cost break down: Filter $3.00, oil $9.00, and time 30 minutes.

:-o

Here are the pictures of the stock filter vs. the Fram:

Attachments

• PICT3114.JPG
    PICT3114.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT3115.JPG
    PICT3115.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT3112.JPG
    PICT3112.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 54