• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Speed

mich-fish

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Viper LTX
15 Viper LTX-DX (wifes)
04 Viper (spare)
02 Viper (sons)
80 ET 340
I am looking to gain some speed from my 18 LTX Viper. Only getting 85 mph on ice with slight snow cover. My wifes 15 is running around 94 mph under the same conditions. Both sleds are mainly stock with the exception of mine having curve skis and she has a Ultimax belt. Didnt know if the Thunder Products clutch kit would get me there or if I need to try something else first. I am also tired of those 800 and 850 e-tecs walking away from me. Thank you.
Dwayne

Your asking a bit much from a 600 class sled, even with all the N/A modz under the sun it will still be a 700 class sled, should've bought a leftover 17 sidewinder for the price of your 18 viper if you want to keep up with an 850

How many miles on it? They get better when fully broken in. 85 seems a little slow running on ice. Even with a lot of add on and money don't expect it to run with an 850. Even with a turbo the 850 will have more top end, from 0 to 100 you would run with it. After break in and a lot of tinkering my 16 LTX finally hits the 102 - 104 mark with some room to run it out. I will say the only two stock sleds I won't take on are the 850 and Sidewinder. What did it take to get there? Full break in, performance exhaust, air box mod, Evo flash, transfer block, clutch kit, machined primary and belt change, changed gearing, new skis, and rear shock change. Definitely would have been cheaper to buy a Sidewinder, but I wanted a 600 class sled that was N/A.

I guess I didnt post that right. I dont want my wife to outrun me! I know I wont outrun the 850 but figured if I could get that extra 10 mph it would make a lot of difference. I only have 450 miles on it and didnt know what to expect from the thunder products Big Venom kit.

Mine only does 85 some days and 94 other days .all depends on conditions I have hit 98 twice.my 16 Ltx is totally stock.im on the fence about a big venom kit.would like to hit the century mark once lol.on a long lake run against my buddies 1200 doo I have him by half a length.my Speedo said 94 and his Garmin 610 said 98

I guess I didnt post that right. I dont want my wife to outrun me! I know I wont outrun the 850 but figured if I could get that extra 10 mph it would make a lot of difference. I only have 450 miles on it and didnt know what to expect from the thunder products Big Venom kit.

Quick test, take that belt off your wife's sled and try it on yours. Also watch your rpm and see where it's at when you're trying for top speed. You wanna be seeing 8900-9000, if you're running low on rpm you're running low on top speed..atleast on a stock sled.

I think biggest issue is the mileage, my ltx felt really tight untill about 700 miles, would only hit 88mph and 8600 rpm, started to loosen up between 900- 1300 miles, then it would do 95 or so, give it some time and break er in right.

I was gonna say give it some time. My sled is night and day difference this year as last. Just around 1200 and it’s much quicker. Haven’t really got on it but was stuck under 90 for a long time now hitting mid 90’s no problem with a 1.75 track.

Even if you don't go for a full clutch kit right away you should ditch the stock secondary spring as it's known to bind. That alone will kill top end.

Just came in from riding and did my oil change, only have around 475 miles on it. the wifes has around 1k on it. That might be the difference between the two. I did check my max rpm and it read around 8650. I guess I will run it this year the way it is and see if it loosens up. I figure during the summer get secondary springs and maybe do some primary work.

My 2017 Viper took about a 1000 miles to loosen up. I had the same concern last year when it was new. This year I see 90 mph a lot now. last year it struggle to 80 mph. Love it even more this year

Attachments

• dalton 45.jpg
    dalton 45.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 206
MY 16 LTX LE has over 2,600 miles and still has not gotten more than 8600 rpms and thats with evo can and no other mods. some days barely can get 80 mph and normally is 85, but last weekend on a hard pack lake i hit 92 and still was only seeing 8600 rpms. mine has not changed since new

Back