• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need to replace chain & bottom reverse gear & have ?

RobX-1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 50th Apex XT-X, 08 40th Apex LTX GT, 08 40th Nytro RTX, & 03 RX-1
I have an 03 RX-1 w/ reverse and need to replace my 39T bottom gear and 70 link chain. Had a top chain case bolt come loose and cause the case to split enough to lose oil. Splitting the case, I was thinking I was going to see a chewed up gear. To my surprise, it appears the chain stretched so much that it had too much slack in it and was not making contact with the bottom gear. Replacing the chain is a must and the bottom gear got a little nicked up on the outer side of the teeth so playing it safe and replacing it. I had a barely used 23T top gear and closely compared it to the 24T that was in there and can not see any difference so I am leaving it alone.

With all that said, I've been debating on whether to simply replace with the same setup or should I consider a re-gearing? Typically, I don't fuss with the gearing unless when I have to like with putting on the reverse kit. But seeing how I have to replace, why not take the opportunity to make a change. I have the ECP filters and Speedshop's (BBY2000) HH Stage II clutching so re-gearing may be in order. Wasn't there also a Stage III which had gearing or was that only for non-reverse?

Also, while I have the chain case apart, would it be a good idea to replace all three bearings? I had done the drive axle bearing by the speedo and installed the 04 locking collar setup (including bearings) before the beginning of this season so that side is good to go. All bearings look good but you know how that goes. I have heard on here how you could go with aftermarket bearings on the secondary side and save some money. Can the same be said about the chain case side and if so, any info would be appreciated. ;)!

Back