• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New '16 with some issues

comanche

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper MTX
I just picked up a new 2016 Viper MTX last week. I rode it a lot at the cabin this week and had a few issues that came up. Searching for them didn't produce much and the dealer hadn't seen similar issues but are going to call into Yamaha on Tuesday. In the meantime, I thought there might be some insights from some of you.

Issue 1: in the first 150 miles I have had 4-5 instances where the clutch would not engage. After starting it up and letting it warm, I hit the gas and it was like it was in neutral. Same for when I tried reverse. After turning it off then back on, it worked fine. Even did this after riding for 30 min, stopping for 5 min and starting it up again.

Issue 2: Low power. The "cold start mode" these are equipped with seems to stick on sometimes. I start it up and let it idle for 5 - 10 minutes. About half of the time it really has to work just to get to 20 mph (@ about 6000 rpms when usually it will go 35 mph @ 6000). Once I cycle the key off and on, the problem goes away and it runs perfect. Even after long rides and short stops it will do that when the engine should definitely not be cold.

Anyways, if you have any advice on what to look at or how to prevent them from happening, I would appreciate it!

Back