• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2021 Venture - Starting Question

Mike McKenny

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 Yamaha Venture
Hi everyone,

I have a new 2021 Venture, with only 2 miles on it so far. I have started it up about a dozen times or so, and each time I go to start it, it won’t idle on its own until after the 3rd try turning the key and rolling it over. The 1st two attempts, it may idle for 1 second or so, and quit. Each time I turn the key to on, I wait until I hear the fuel pump go off, then I crank it over.

Is there a trick to getting these to idle after the first try turning the key? This is my first fuel injected sled.

Thanks!
Mike

These sleds don’t like to be started and shut off a lot without being fully warmed up. You can start to foul plugs from that. Wait till you get some run time with fresh fuel in it and it gets cleared out and then see how it responds

These sleds don’t like to be started and shut off a lot without being fully warmed up. You can start to foul plugs from that. Wait till you get some run time with fresh fuel in it and it gets cleared out and then see how it responds

Thanks for the advice. Each time I have started it so far, I have let it idle for about 5 minutes, and gave it a quick drive around the yard. It will start fine when it is warm. It is inly when I try a cold start when it takes about 3 different tries

My 2020 does the same thing. You'll get more used to it, but still annoying I agree. You will love the sled though. Over 3,000 happy miles on mine. The white paint on the 2021 looks fantastic!

Thanks for the advice. Each time I have started it so far, I have let it idle for about 5 minutes, and gave it a quick drive around the yard. It will start fine when it is warm. It is inly when I try a cold start when it takes about 3 different tries

M
My 2020 does the same thing. You'll get more used to it, but still annoying I agree. You will love the sled though. Over 3,000 happy miles on mine. The white paint on the 2021 looks fantastic!

Thanks Greatwhite89. I agree, love the white and blue. Still waiting for enough snow for the trails to open up here. Getting anxious!

Hi everyone,

I have a new 2021 Venture, with only 2 miles on it so far. I have started it up about a dozen times or so, and each time I go to start it, it won’t idle on its own until after the 3rd try turning the key and rolling it over. The 1st two attempts, it may idle for 1 second or so, and quit. Each time I turn the key to on, I wait until I hear the fuel pump go off, then I crank it over.

Is there a trick to getting these to idle after the first try turning the key? This is my first fuel injected sled.

Thanks!
Mike

That doesn't sound right for sure. My 2013 TF has started every time, reliably, since new. Sorry I'm not an expert so can't comment further.....

The reason for getting a fuel injected is so you don't have to play with it to keep it running when it's cold!
Something needs attention.
My sled only does this when transferring it from my barn to my toy shed, just before the snow flies. It was parked for 8 months, and never started.
Always properly stored, with fuel stabilizer in a full tank of gas.
27 000 km later, I still don't have to do what you are doing.
As for starting it to hear it, etc., DON'T. You'll foul the plugs, and then have lots of fun replacing them!
5 minutes doesn't warm the engine, 10-15 may be enough.
You could let it warm up until the temperature light comes on, then shut it off. No, the temperature light coming on will not damage the engine.

People treat their sleds like they are a delicate flower which needs constant pampering. It is a machine.

As the others have said, get at least one good run on it before you worry too much.
Depending on how long the fuel has been in it maybe a bit of conditioner to ensure there is no moisture.
Hopefully just a bit of carbon buildup on the plugs from not getting up to full temp and hard run will fix it all up.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Mike

Hey Mike - I bought the same sleds, and had the exact same behaviour until I went for the first long run and got rid of the gas that was supplied by the dealer. Now they start first crank every time. Anything from +3 to -15 deg C weather over the past 3 weeks.

Have the same machine - has started flawlessly. Like others have said stretch its legs and get it moving it should clear up.

Hey Mike - I bought the same sleds, and had the exact same behaviour until I went for the first long run and got rid of the gas that was supplied by the dealer. Now they start first crank every time. Anything from +3 to -15 deg C weather over the past 3 weeks.

Quick update on this to share another observation :). I've been mostly filling up at home with the ever-so-fun-to-lift red gas cans and a funnel. This means I stop to avoid spillage when the bars get to the top. On the weekend, however, part way through a long ride of >250km, I gassed up at a gas station. Doing it that way, I could see the actual fuel in the tank, so filled it right up to just past the bottom of the white plastic sleeve. For whatever reason, it then took 3 cranks to get them started. Happened on both machines. No issues since then, back to first crank every time.

If you pull out that white sleeve, you'll likely get a few more litres of fuel in there.
If you're away from civilization, gas stations are becoming rarer than an honest politician!
I carry an extra 4 litres container in my trunk, and have used it!

If you pull out that white sleeve, you'll likely get a few more litres of fuel in there.
If you're away from civilization, gas stations are becoming rarer than an honest politician!
I carry an extra 4 litres container in my trunk, and have used it!

I'm interested the container you put in your trunk. I had the same thought, but didn't think with the small opening that I could get one in there. What container are you using, if you don't mind my asking? :). And yes, agree with your observation on gas stations. A lot of the ones on my trail map app aren't even there anymore, so hard to rely what the app is telling me :).

It's just a 1 gallon red plastic gas container. The same as the 5 gallon one you use to fill your sled at home, but smaller!
It's only about 10" tall, and it barely fits!

It's just a 1 gallon red plastic gas container. The same as the 5 gallon one you use to fill your sled at home, but smaller!
It's only about 10" tall, and it barely fits!
cool, thanks!

Back