• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 509 delta R3 helmet

Someone mentioned it was at HayDays. And according to my own info the new 509items will be arriving at dealers within 2 weeks. Id bet you can see it at Epping too.

I am watching for this helmet also.. im worried about weight and balance :)

Are they modular?
It is described as modular. Would look like an open helmet with all face attachments off. Has a drop down built inner visor also. A liner that can be removed. And also compliant with their goggle line.

Its touted as an all situations helmet.

I'll check them out at the Big East show this weekend and post a review.

Got a chance to look at the Delta R3 helmet today at the Syracuse show. Overall an interesting helmet.

I currently have a XL 509 Altitude carbon fibre and it fits me very well with a Klim balaclava. The XL in the Delta R3 was much looser. I tried on the Large and it would be too tight with a balaclava. It is definitely heavier than the standard Altitude. Not sure it would be something I noticed right away, but after a long day of riding, I might.

There is no carbon fibre option available for the DR3. 509 guys said maybe next year since this was the 1st year they were being offered and didn't know how well it would sell. 509 guys also said the DR3 is their best selling helmet this year. By 2:00 Saturday they had already sold about 120 of them!

The face shield is heated and it is easily removable for conversion to wearing goggles. Breath box is also removable.

It is a very interesting product and would be one I would have considered purchasing last year before I got my carbon fibre. I the end, I really like the open face MX style. After moving from a full face helmet, I enjoy riding much more now.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the write up how much were they selling for at the show?

No discounts on the new this year stock - $280. There were some lower prices on the older models.

Hey guys....been a while since I posted on here as I jumped ship and went to Skidoo, but sure miss going on the TY rides in years past. After looking around on the web for some remedies to the issues I've experienced with the new Delta R3 my search led me here and wanted to pass on some info regarding this helmet. We bought 2 of them at Hayday's this year and I talked them into $250 each when I bought 2!! We finally got them out on the snow and this is our complaints:
After the first mile, we both stopped and shared the same concern of a ton of cold air coming in and hitting your face! We finished out our ride and put on 86 miles with smooth trails, falling snow, and about 18 degree temperatures for the day. We had two other concerns that happened to both of us in that, the tinted shield, decided to fall down while hitting a few larger bumps at high speed! Thankfully it was right at dusk and not at night and was able to get the machine stopped without incident. The last thing has to do with the electric shield, when fresh snow is falling or busting through some powder the snow does not melt away from the shield like all of our other helmets with electric shields. I know for sure that if we ran into some warmer temps wet snow and freezing rain would have made for a miserable ride.
All though we love the styling and looks of the new Delta R3, it's function did not hold up to the first day on the snow for us.
Hope this helps! We are in communications with 509 at this time to take care of the issues.
Happy Sleddin' and pray for snow!!

Hey guys....been a while since I posted on here as I jumped ship and went to Skidoo, but sure miss going on the TY rides in years past. After looking around on the web for some remedies to the issues I've experienced with the new Delta R3 my search led me here and wanted to pass on some info regarding this helmet. We bought 2 of them at Hayday's this year and I talked them into $250 each when I bought 2!! We finally got them out on the snow and this is our complaints:
After the first mile, we both stopped and shared the same concern of a ton of cold air coming in and hitting your face! We finished out our ride and put on 86 miles with smooth trails, falling snow, and about 18 degree temperatures for the day. We had two other concerns that happened to both of us in that, the tinted shield, decided to fall down while hitting a few larger bumps at high speed! Thankfully it was right at dusk and not at night and was able to get the machine stopped without incident. The last thing has to do with the electric shield, when fresh snow is falling or busting through some powder the snow does not melt away from the shield like all of our other helmets with electric shields. I know for sure that if we ran into some warmer temps wet snow and freezing rain would have made for a miserable ride.
All though we love the styling and looks of the new Delta R3, it's function did not hold up to the first day on the snow for us.
Hope this helps! We are in communications with 509 at this time to take care of the issues.
Happy Sleddin' and pray for snow!!
Not the kind of review I wanted to hear. Do you know where the cold air was coming in? Let us know what 509 says will ya?

Guys 509 is aware of the issues and fixes are in the works. 509 isn't going to leave anyone hanging here.. They value their reputation. Issues to be adressed/fixed are a plug kit for the chin bar vents (next year's model will have closeable vents + the plug kit), a new wire that locks into the shield plug. For now you should use the 90 degree plug that came with the helmet as it stays more secure, a new shield wiring solution that doesn't have any exposed wiring. For now you can apply a dab of silicon to the wire to protect it from water. It's currently prone to shorting if water gets on it. Next years shield will be designed differently to incorporate these fixes. They are also looking into a more robust chin curtain to help prevent air flow. This can immediately be helped by how you orient the helmet on your head while riding... The more pointed down the helmet is kept the better it prevents wind from coming under. Anyways, it really is a great helmet once these kinks get worked out so please be patient. There will eventually be a link where you can register any of these issues you're experiencing and 509 will take care of you as the parts come in.

Guys 509 is aware of the issues and fixes are in the works. 509 isn't going to leave anyone hanging here.. They value their reputation. Issues to be adressed/fixed are a plug kit for the chin bar vents (next year's model will have closeable vents + the plug kit), a new wire that locks into the shield plug. For now you should use the 90 degree plug that came with the helmet as it stays more secure, a new shield wiring solution that doesn't have any exposed wiring. For now you can apply a dab of silicon to the wire to protect it from water. It's currently prone to shorting if water gets on it. Next years shield will be designed differently to incorporate these fixes. They are also looking into a more robust chin curtain to help prevent air flow. This can immediately be helped by how you orient the helmet on your head while riding... The more pointed down the helmet is kept the better it prevents wind from coming under. Anyways, it really is a great helmet once these kinks get worked out so please be patient. There will eventually be a link where you can register any of these issues you're experiencing and 509 will take care of you as the parts come in.
Thanks for the update wot-75. Can you elaborate on how 509 might take care of those of us that already own this helmet. Do we need to contact 509 ourselves to get our names on a list of some sort? I did register my helmet with them online. I can say I will want the plug kit for the really cold days, the rest remains to be seen.

Back