• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 509 delta R3 helmet

Thanks for the update wot-75. Can you elaborate on how 509 might take care of those of us that already own this helmet. Do we need to contact 509 ourselves to get our names on a list of some sort? I did register my helmet with them online. I can say I will want the plug kit for the really cold days, the rest remains to be seen.
Yes, you need to contact 509 and give them your info. If prompted to leave a message please do so...Otherwise I believe there will be a link eventually where you can submit your info for the update kit. I'm the 509 rep for Wi/Mn/Ia/Dakota's and can tell you that this is a plan that is developing daily as we get more info from our factory. Bottom line is that 509 won't leave you guys hanging with a useless product. I promise!

wot-75 This sounds like good news. I'm passing this info on to a buddy of mine who bought his R3 at Haydays along with myself. Do you get the feeling that this will be resolved yet this season?

Great news!! I have one and am very pleased to hear improvements are coming when i first contacted 509 they knew nothing of the problems sounds like things are moving forward

Had high hopes that my experience would be different. Shield/ cord connection failed on it yesterday, 4 hours in to a day where I REALLY needed a heated shield. Had issues from minute 1 with not enough heat in the shield. Good thing I brought my 4 yr old C2 carbon fiber helmet along.

Had high hopes that my experience would be different. Shield/ cord connection failed on it yesterday, 4 hours in to a day where I REALLY needed a heated shield. Had issues from minute 1 with not enough heat in the shield. Good thing I brought my 4 yr old C2 carbon fiber helmet along.
Be sure to use the 90deg plug as it stays connected better..push in and twist. Put a dab of silicon on the exposed wire. Also contact 509 to get your hands on the list for the update kit that will be available eventually. It sucks but they are committed to fixing the issues. It doesn't help you this minute but for everyone else reading the Delta R3 2.0 will have all of the issues fixed during production for next season's release.

Viper_Dave what do you mean it failed? Did it keep falling out or did something break?

Be sure to use the 90deg plug as it stays connected better..push in and twist. Put a dab of silicon on the exposed wire. Also contact 509 to get your hands on the list for the update kit that will be available eventually. It sucks but they are committed to fixing the issues. It doesn't help you this minute but for everyone else reading the Delta R3 2.0 will have all of the issues fixed during production for next season's release.
wot-75, if I cover the holes on the center of the INSIDE of the chin bar will that accomplish the same thing as stuffing the outside vent holes shut?

Lost connection somehow. I would push it in and turn it the light would come on it would work for a few seconds and then it would quit .Regardless ,The shield doesn't get warm enough to defrost inside or out. I've got a saddle bag trip in 2 weeks and it would be been nice to use this helmet for thst.

Lost connection somehow. I would push it in and turn it the light would come on it would work for a few seconds and then it would quit .Regardless ,The shield doesn't get warm enough to defrost inside or out. I've got a saddle bag trip in 2 weeks and it would be been nice to use this helmet for thst.
Strange that if it has a solid connection and is connected to voltage at ALL times that it wouldn't keep up. I've been using electric shields for 25+ years and never had one that wouldn't do it's job unless the connection was compromised. I started installing LEDs INSIDE the faceshield years ago so I could monitor it. The cords tend to break down quite often so a basic working knowledge of electronics really helps if a person goes the electric shield route (they aren't for everyone). That being said it sounds like these 509 shields may have a weak point PAST the connector on the helmet that is failing, that's why I wondered if the cord was staying plugged in. If that's the case 509 needs to step up and give us a new shield with an updated design. Yes we can put a "dab" of silicone on the wires to prevent them from breaking, but I would expect that to be only a temporary solution.

Never had one before. Been using an open face for years. Should be able to put the helmet on, plug it in and ride. I understand that after some use age, that shield cords and connections can fail. This happened first day right from the parking lot. Checked with my hand mirror constantly when first riding out. Shield light was on every time, and frost started building within a few minutes of leaving the parking lot. By evenings end I was riding with my shield cracked open like my old 1997 Yamaha branded Lazer helmet. Not a happy camper at the moment!

Never had one before. Been using an open face for years. Should be able to put the helmet on, plug it in and ride. I understand that after some use age, that shield cords and connections can fail. This happened first day right from the parking lot. Checked with my hand mirror constantly when first riding out. Shield light was on every time, and frost started building within a few minutes of leaving the parking lot. By evenings end I was riding with my shield cracked open like my old 1997 Yamaha branded Lazer helmet. Not a happy camper at the moment!
I'm wondering if the shield failure is happening after the LED in the circuit. In other words the LED can be lit but the shield is still not getting voltage. The little wires that go from the back of the plug, to the shield may be broken. That's why they want you to put a dab of silicon on there to stop them from moving and breaking??

I'm wondering if the shield failure is happening after the LED in the circuit. In other words the LED can be lit but the shield is still not getting voltage. The little wires that go from the back of the plug, to the shield may be broken. That's why they want you to put a dab of silicon on there to stop them from moving and breaking??
Not that this makes us feel better about it. This should NOT be happening and 509 needs to do right by us. The helmets I've used were cheap, no-name helmets and the only time I ever replaced a shield was because it got scratched up.

I feel it's time to express my feelings on the Delta R3. Disappointed. Disappointed in the R3, and Disappointed in 509's lack of communication. I submitted a warranty claim back on January 25th, after no response via email other than an automated "we got your request", I called 509 on February 1. I was told I would receive a response via email the next week. I did not. I have sent 3 additional replies via my "ticket" and have yet to hear from 509.

Through my own modifications and testing I have been able to make this helmet work. I do feel like 509 is working on the solutions, but the lack of communicating with me is VERY frustrating. I feel like I'm being ignored. I'M willing to work with them but they need to meet me halfway. How hard is it to send me an email from an actual person so I know I'm REALLY on their radar? I shouldn't have needed to initiate contact after I submitted the ticket.

509 did get back to me today. They called me personally and apologized for the delay more than once. I want to give credit for the sincerity of the call. Honestly I think this helmet will be a pleasure to own once the "updates" are installed. I have incorporated my own versions of 509's updates and I have no complaints about this helmet now. Next year's buyers of this helmet should be well satisfied. Bummer for us that bought a first year product, but I guess it happens sometimes. The updates are rolling out slowly but 509 wants to get it right.

Back