• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

new drive shaft axle?

rtx moose

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder LTX LE,2007 RTX,2000 SRX700
so anyone get a new drive axle and measured the diameter?is the new one bigger and in tolerance?

Nothing has changed to my knowledge. I just repaired 2 TCats w new shafts and new bearings. On new shaft the bearing journal is about .0015" smaller than a new bearing (a GOOD bearing not Cat bearing although they should measure the same).

Sad Cat and Yam will not fix this, and with new model yr coming too.

How have the guys who added the BOP wedge been making out? Is the Wedge a true longterm fix that has no issues?

Dan

Sad Cat and Yam will not fix this, and with new model yr coming too.

How have the guys who added the BOP wedge been making out? Is the Wedge a true longterm fix that has no issues?

Dan
You'd think they could ad one or two thousandths easy enough to make it a slightly snugger interference fit.
I fail to see how that would be a difficult change on the assembly line process.

IF it was a press fit, one could no longer just slip the caliper housing onto the end of the shaft, slide it up to the tunnel, and then install the seal plate on the inside with the 3 bolts. One would have to press the housing onto the bearing journal, AND importantly get it in the exact right place so the bearing isn't side-loaded one way or the other. Then how could you install the shaft? It's not rocket-science but would require changes in assy process and special tools.
I'll let you know next week and post pics as I just had my track shaft spray welded (the brake side bearing failed and damaged the track shaft) and I had them size the bearing journals so I will have somewhere between .0005" - .001" press fit on both sides of shaft. I will be building a special tool to install bearings on both sides.
And I did have the BOP wedge on my sled but that doesn't help if the bearing itself fails. Bearing spun in caliper housing AND shaft (even w wedge in it). Bearing locked up.

Attachments

• failed Track shaft bearing4.1.jpg
    failed Track shaft bearing4.1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 167
Same. Waited 3 months for this one. Made them open up a new bearing sloppy as heck. Bought it anyway will have to fix.
E5765B94-3991-44AC-BFA4-51F3FE70ED94.jpeg

Yup. New bearing (6009 is 45 mm ID = 1.77165". So on yours, you have .003" clearance which makes for a pretty sloppy fit of bearing to shaft. Terrible!!

Same. Waited 3 months for this one. Made them open up a new bearing sloppy as heck. Bought it anyway will have to fix.
View attachment 153959
You can't measure that with any caliper.you need a micrometer or pressure mic for these kind of tolerances..I do this for a living and these measurements need to be down to the tenths to fit correctly .oooo

I drilled 4 dimples in the shaft and used retaining compound last summer!! I'll know in a few weeks if it held up or not when I take it apart for annual maintenance.
Also have a customer dropping off his sled monday for a track change and maintaining who did the same so I'll have 2 sleds to compare

I think KnappAttack did this too but it didn't work. Hope yours turned out better.
My caliper-side bearing failed (locked up) so I had my track shaft spray-welded and sized up the journals so I will have a press fit both sides with new bearings. I'm still gonna use green sleeve retainer Loctite on caliper side (not on chain case side as shaft usually doesn't spin in that bearing).
I'm assembling it this weekend so I'll post some pics of what I'm doing with it.

Keep us posted. I bet many are watching this.
I have the BOP saver, but wont know until I pull it apart in a month or two how it helped.
Cant believe Yamaha and Cat just keep plodding along. But then again look how long it took to address the tri hub.

Too bad there isn't a snap ring against the inner race on both caliper and chain case side bearing. Gotta believe that would help.
Failing that, a lock nut of some kind to bind the inner race to the shaft would be a great idea. Total re work of the design, I know but this is ridiculous.
MS

Maybe yamaha/cat did a change this season??? We won't know until the 2021 part # list comes out

Whats the bearing number for a higher quality one? What brand?

I also slid a new bearing on. It’s so sloppy no reason to bother getting mic out of tool chest. This is 2020 zr 8000 shaft part #. Maybe Yamaha got some good ones but you all best check before taking home.

Back