• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Driveshaft ID Smaller

SnoWarrior

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Sidewinder L-TX LE
Ok, old driveshaft and bearing were toast after last season. Received a new driveshaft and bearing about 3 weeks ago from my dealer. Got it installed and went to put the BOP driveshaft saver in…..ohh noo Mr. Bill! NO FIT

The new driveshaft has a smaller inside diameter than the one that I removed. (2018)

Normally, I would blame this on Steve, but I have 0% OCD, so I can’t.

(I hope he will let me ride in Maine this year. I think Canada is going to be a bust.)

Anyway, I called my dealer; he said he never had one he could not install.

Then I called Travis, pretty much the same answer. This Cat DNA is a pain in my ***.

So, if you get a new driveshaft, make sure you measure it before you order the driveshaft saver. Travis said he might have to take some and have them cut down. If anyone has a relatively new shaft, maybe check it, and see if it has a smaller diameter. (Maybe I just got a “freak” shaft).

I will take My shaft saver to a machine shop and have it modified. Looks like I need to remove about .023 of material.

New Shaft – 1.237

Old shaft – 1.260

BOP Saver – 1.250
new_shaft.jpg
old_shaft.jpg
saver.jpg

Maybe it's a up dated shaft, what kind of fit does the bearing have on the O.D.

Mine I got end of March after being back ordered all winter the bop still fits but tight. Bearing is still sloppy fit.

Got 5k boosted miles out of my first shaft... If i get 5K out of the replacement I'll be happy.... Put a few dimples in it before tapping on the bearing...

If they can’t hit the numbers on O.D. No reason to believe they can on the I.D.

good point. That being said. Yamaha and textron aren’t stupid, so one would assume they have switched suppliers with the amount of warranty claims there were on driveshafts. Then again, when you assume things.....

I have a new driveshaft coming for a customer hopefully this week!!
I'll report back once I get it and measure it.

The customer's original driveshaft had the bearing spin on the shaft also!!
He told me to keep the worn shaft so I am going to have it spray welded and machined as a spare if someone needs one during the season ill have one on hand!! I will be doing a shaft exchange for there worn one plus the cost of the spray welding/machining

Last edited:
good point. That being said. Yamaha and textron aren’t stupid, so one would assume they have switched suppliers with the amount of warranty claims there were on driveshafts. Then again, when you assume things.....
IMO, the million dollar question is, were the shafts machined (no matter who the supplier was/is) to Cat print?! For me, it would be hard to believe this whole problem (shaft spinning inside bearing) has been caused by the supplier not machining shafts to specification (ie blueprint). Therefore, as I am holding fast to believing, this problem is a DESIGN problem and I place the blame and responsibility squarely on the shoulders of Arctic Cat engineering.
It will be interesting to learn if now the shaft has a smaller ID via design change, or is it a shaft that was not machined to print?
The mess continues.

IMO, the million dollar question is, were the shafts machined (no matter who the supplier was/is) to Cat print?! For me, it would be hard to believe this whole problem (shaft spinning inside bearing) has been caused by the supplier not machining shafts to specification (ie blueprint). Therefore, as I am holding fast to believing, this problem is a DESIGN problem and I place the blame and responsibility squarely on the shoulders of Arctic Cat engineering.
It will be interesting to learn if now the shaft has a smaller ID via design change, or is it a shaft that was not machined to print?
The mess continues.

Exactly!
More than likely the inside diameter has a fairly large production tolerance and is just a fluke IMO. Unfortunately yes....the mess continues

Well clearly they have changed suppliers or the design of the part. Thanks for posting to make us aware.
The thickness of the original shaft was pretty flimsy.
Nice of AC to post or make their customers aware of a part upgrade........
MS

Back