• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New owner viking pro

Walleyebuster

Purchased a 2012 viking pro a few weeks go. Use it for ice fishing in northern MN. I have been happy with the new machine so far. It does seem loud on packed trails. Louder than my 2001 AC panther. Any one else experience this? Also what kind of gas milage have you been getting? I have been around 16mpg pulling an otter sled. First new snowmobile decided to try yamaha because I love my hpdi boat motor which is bullet proof.

I purchase my 2012 last year and noticed the same thing about it being louder at high speed. I kind of figure it to be the way the exhaust is pointed at the track, but can't say for sure. Extremely happy with the sled though. We cross into the northwest angle on Lake of the Woods a few time a year. Great fishing and I don't have to worry about the reliability of the snowmobile. The VK is very comfortable for the long ride. I get about 12 -14 MPG but we are running 50mph most of the time on the trail that crosses the lake from Wheelers Point to Flag Island. The wife and I have taken the VK into Michigan for trail riding, and she is very comfortable in the passenger seat for all day rides.

Do you have any advice for cold weather starting and warm up. When do you shut the choke off. Do you use to throttle to get rpms up. I have been putting on the choke till it starts and when it starts to surge I take it off but it dies need to restart. I have never owned 4 stroke used to the two strokes and so worried about flooding.

I use the choke to start mine and then start backing it off gradually. Have to babysit it until choke is off. Light m,ay still be on.

Not like my Apex that I can just turn the key and let run. Guess that would be carbed vs. injected?

David

Walleyebuster said:
Do you have any advice for cold weather starting and warm up. When do you shut the choke off. Do you use to throttle to get rpms up. I have been putting on the choke till it starts and when it starts to surge I take it off but it dies need to restart. I have never owned 4 stroke used to the two strokes and so worried about flooding.

Wanna4stroke hit it on the head for cold starting. I highly recommend putting in a coolant heater for -20F starts. Mine always started without the heater when its that cold, but it was not happy. The coolant heater now makes for easy starts.

Walleyebuster said:
Purchased a 2012 viking pro a few weeks go. Use it for ice fishing in northern MN. I have been happy with the new machine so far. It does seem loud on packed trails. Louder than my 2001 AC panther. Any one else experience this? Also what kind of gas milage have you been getting? I have been around 16mpg pulling an otter sled. First new snowmobile decided to try yamaha because I love my hpdi boat motor which is bullet proof.
The louder noise on packed trails could be what is called track howl on a lot of Yamaha's and is worse at certain speeds and is more noticeable on packed trails. My TF is bad until it gets above 60Km/h (37mph). Could be caused by OEM tracks not being full clipped or just the type of track. I have changed my VL to a fully clipped 1.5" Crossover and it is better than the Ripsaw (clipped every 3rd bar).
Too bad they haven't put fuel injection on the VK's yet - it is so good for starting and warming up.

Push the choke off as quickly as possible to avoid loading up the engine. About 5 to 10 seconds in regular winter temperatures, -10C, and longer if colder. Don't try to move the machine until the coolant light goes out.

I'm looking at a 2012 Viking Pro that has 30 miles on it, sat for 3 years then new battery and rode for 30 miles then sat for the last 4. Blue book is about 4K the guy wants 7 for it, I told him maybe 5, the carbs have me a little concerned since everything is now injected. Opinions on whether to buy or wait and get a new sled?

if it idles without choke on all 3 cylinders, it should be fine with a dose of ring free or sea foam. the carb ones plug the pilot jets almost every year unless run every month up to temp or cleaned thourougly every year during pre season service. i would not be scared of buying that sled.

if it idles without choke on all 3 cylinders, it should be fine with a dose of ring free or sea foam. the carb ones plug the pilot jets almost every year unless run every month up to temp or cleaned thourougly every year during pre season service. i would not be scared of buying that sled.
Thanks!

I'm looking at a 2012 Viking Pro that has 30 miles on it, sat for 3 years then new battery and rode for 30 miles then sat for the last 4. Blue book is about 4K the guy wants 7 for it, I told him maybe 5, the carbs have me a little concerned since everything is now injected. Opinions on whether to buy or wait and get a new sled?

I bought my 2012 this year with 21 miles on it, I broke it in carefully, following Yamahas recommendations to a t. I now have 1100 miles on it 4 weeks later. Only problem I’ve had is first belt blew at 146 miles, then I burned another getting it unstuck in high gear-just too much power for the big track, then did it again in reverse. Otherwise it’s been flawless. I’ll be taking it in to see if my clutch needs different weighting etc.
My only real complaint is it needs winch mounts and pull points. I broke trail in 7’ of powder at night into my cabin, which it did fairly flawlessly. But I slid off trail because it’s top heavy and doesn’t appreciate angles well. But I got it so stuck, it was a 4 person pull and could use winch mounts and pull points. I have to figure this out for when I’m riding alone. A sno-bunj would help but not enough.

Ild say go for it, but break it in right,

I bought the sled, rode it 160 miles pretty easy trails. Let a friend take it on the 30 mile run into the lodge on groomed trails, ran fine going in and 10 miles out then yellow caution light came on and it died. He didn't know how to remove the belt so left it out overnight. Went in the next morning and another guy showed him where the choke was and it started and ran fine the rest of the way out. I have it at the dealer to get checked out. Hopefully I'll get a clean bill of health tomorrow and can go wolf hunting this weekend! What a great ride, plenty of power and comfortable, I agree on the winch and pull points, if by yourself just start walking...

Back