1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

New Sled Help?

Discussion in 'SideWinder Mountain Talk' started by Boston RX1, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Boston RX1

Boston RX1 TY 4 Stroke Master

I am thinking about buying another sled for playing in the powder, nothing too crazy. My choices are a used 17 btx with a 1.75" or a used 18 xtx 136" with a 1.75". Will is see big differences in where I can go between the two. All riding is in New England or NY. Anything I should look out for on either sled. Both sleds will need to be trail friendly while getting to the powder. Thanks in advance for your help;

3. farmerschiferl

farmerschiferl Lifetime Member Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2017 Yamaha Sidewinder BTX-LE
    btx will be better off trail but still handles trails fine with the 40 inch front end

murdered141 likes this.
  4. errol

errol Expert

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2018 SW B-TX LE 50th
    x1000

5. minks_698

minks_698 Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2016 Viper MTX 141
    Btx is suprisingly good on trail. Off trail is obvious .
    The 137 has trail skid, zero weight transfer, trail width front, etc. Basically horrible off trail.

6. Boston RX1

Thank you guys, you made my decision, a BTX it is!

7. Boston RX1

I am happy to report I am the proud owner, at least I hope so of a 2017 Sidewinder BTX! I am sure I will have many questions, but just riding around the yard, i could not get the thing to turn. We have about 1' of heavy wet snow, 60 degrees today and melting fast. What is the consensus of the stock skis? I have heard the 6.9 pilots or Polaris grippers are the way to go. Run mostly trails, but purchased this to go lightly off trail. I would like it to turn though.

8. Mtnviper

Mtnviper Vendor Vendor VIP Member

It has the newer mountain ski and they're are pretty good skis. For tuning the steering you can adjust the skid center shock spring preload. Tightening will reduce ski pressure but improve weight transfer. Loosening the spring will increase ski pressure and turning, but reduce weight transfer and increase steering effort.
    I think that you'll find that it turns much better with more snow on the ground as well.;)!