• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New stator in phazer and still code 12

Trxratt

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha phaser max
I have a 2008 phazer rtx that showed code 12 after talking with people here and my local dealer it was figured it need a pickup coil so I replaced it with a oem stator from Yamaha. Just put it together and it still shows code 12 and won’t start. Was going to take it to dealer and have it fixed so I can ride this year but there booked till April

find an independent sled mechanic that knows Yamahas, or get a shop manual and a multi meter and start working your way through the electrics

Did you check continuity from the sensor to the ECU? Grab the manual and trace the wires using the schematics. Check the pins in the ECU and its connector.

What do you mean check the pins? Like that there all there

If I remember correctly these things are sensitive to the polarity of the pickup coil wires. They either won't start or run correctly if the two wires are flipped. I'm pretty sure someone else on here will have a much better answer for you.

I used a Yamaha oem stator and pickup coil I figured it would be wired right from the factory. Did they flip them on some years

If I remember correctly these things are sensitive to the polarity of the pickup coil wires. They either won't start or run correctly if the two wires are flipped. I'm pretty sure someone else on here will have a much better answer for you.
This is true, but it should be right with an OEM stator.

The engine cranks over?
Yes cranks over fine just won’t fire and shows code 12. Dealer had me replace the plugs and test for spark buy pulling a coil and putting a plug in it and turning the motor over. Had no spark so I put a new stator and pickup in it

There are several threads where folks have had to reverse the wires coming from the pickup to the ignition system. Others where there were either lose or corroded connectors at the ignition system (ECU). The pickup wire seems to be a straight shot from the coil to the ignition system so you should be able to easily verify continuity there. Also you will need to check all grounds in the area. @Mooseman is sending you in the right direction, start at the ECU and check the pins to make sure that they are not corroded. Then check the resistance of the pickup coil from that connector. That will verify the wiring from coil to ignition system. I don't have a phazer service manual but in there should be the specs for what the resistance should be. On the apex it looks like this;

DC-CDI:
Magneto model/Manufacturer
Standard
Pickup coil resistance
(color code)
Stator coil resistance
(color code)

CDI unit model/Manufacturer
F4T47371/MITSUBISHI
14 V 30 A, 420 W at 5,000 r/min
189 - 231 Ω at 20C (68F)
(White/Red – White/Green)
0.19 0.24 Ω at 20C (68F)
(White – White)
F8T40471/MITSUBISHI

I bought two brand new stators/pickup coils from Royal distributing, and the polarity was wrong right out of the bag. Spent about 6+ hours troubleshooting the issue. We had spark but the timing was way off. We ended up swapping the two wires that come from the pickup coil and the sled fired up immediately.

OEM Yamaha parts or not, I would check this first before digging deeper.

I bought two brand new stators/pickup coils from Royal distributing, and the polarity was wrong right out of the bag. Spent about 6+ hours troubleshooting the issue. We had spark but the timing was way off. We ended up swapping the two wires that come from the pickup coil and the sled fired up immediately.

OEM Yamaha parts or not, I would check this first before digging deeper.
Common among aftermarket, but I have never seen it with OEM
Not impossible however.

Back