• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to apex and 4 stroke

Pabstkiller

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 apex
Picked up a new to me 06 apex RTX and am completely new to both Yamahas and 4 strokes in general. with that being said what are some things to look for on this sled? exhaust gaskets were done before I bought it it does have a huck Clutch kit on it and it is piped and studded and i would like to get the handle bars higher what size riser can I go without having to change any cables?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

What's the difference between the RTX and The GT? Because when I registered it the vin came back as an RTX
RTX has fox floats front shocks, and a stiffer seat. Your silver strip is in the middle of the seat (GT soft and cushy) vs on the bottom (RTX more firm and better for 6'+ people wanting to stand up).

you can add a +2-4" riser onto it with re routing the lines and cables usually. lake effect makes a good riser as i have his +3" on my 11 and his +4" on my 16 apex's.

RTX has fox floats front shocks, and a stiffer seat. Your silver strip is in the middle of the seat (GT soft and cushy) vs on the bottom (RTX more firm and better for 6'+ people wanting to stand up).
i might have to try and find an rtx seat then being over 6' and 90% of my riding i do standing. I've never rode a 4 stroke only aver rode big bore 2 strokes my last sled was a cat zrt 800 what should I expect power wise between the 2?

i might have to try and find an rtx seat then being over 6' and 90% of my riding i do standing. I've never rode a 4 stroke only aver rode big bore 2 strokes my last sled was a cat zrt 800 what should I expect power wise between the 2?
If you’re going to spend the money on a different seat I’d check out the Seat Concepts kit, provides amazing improvement in riding position, especially for taller guys.
As far as power goes, you’re going to be shocked at the difference in torque from low to upper mid range, acceleration with adequate traction is almost violent for a trail sled. Depending on the state of tune your Zert 8 was in the top end may be close, but I’d bet on the Ape if its tuned right.

If you’re going to spend the money on a different seat I’d check out the Seat Concepts kit, provides amazing improvement in riding position, especially for taller guys.
As far as power goes, you’re going to be shocked at the difference in torque from low to upper mid range, acceleration with adequate traction is almost violent for a trail sled. Depending on the state of tune your Zert 8 was in the top end may be close, but I’d bet on the Ape if its tuned right.
ill defiantly have to look in to that seat. i will say the zrt was an animal but the 4-5 mpg with my riding style got old after a few years with it, and my apex is studded like a damn porcupine so i dont think traction will be much of an issue. super excited to ride this thing and really see what it will do

ill defiantly have to look in to that seat. i will say the zrt was an animal but the 4-5 mpg with my riding style got old after a few years with it, and my apex is studded like a damn porcupine so i dont think traction will be much of an issue. super excited to ride this thing and really see what it will do
Be sure to match up the carbides on the skis with the amount of studs you have, or she will push hard in corners to the point of being dangerous. With those stocker skis, at minimum put down some Woody's dooleys or slim jim dooleys for more bite. Many will recommend snow trackers if you are keeping the stock skis.

+1 on the Seat Concepts seat, do it an don't look back. It will be a great compliment to a taller riser.

The GT has better shocks in my opinion over the fox floats. Those GYTR clickers can be rebuilt and made better by HyGear with dual rate "twisted" springs. And the Ohlins in the back the same. Talk to HyGear if you think you are ready to drop some cash.

Be sure to add some low snow wheels to that skid and the dupont hyfax, as it will like to eat some plastic. Otherwise, fuel and go. Enjoy it!

If you ride a lot of moguls I found the rear monoshock suspension wouldn't hold up without significant mods, so be ready for that if you feel it bottoms too easily. Also the GTs have the Ohlins shock in the rear and its adjustable in the dash to make firm or soft. I ride hard and firm was still too soft. Lastly if you find it is too soft and you bottom out, don't push it and get the shock re-valved before you ruin the W arm in the front. They are prone to cracking when bottomed out.

If you ride a lot of moguls I found the rear monoshock suspension wouldn't hold up without significant mods, so be ready for that if you feel it bottoms too easily. Also the GTs have the Ohlins shock in the rear and its adjustable in the dash to make firm or soft. I ride hard and firm was still too soft. Lastly if you find it is too soft and you bottom out, don't push it and get the shock re-valved before you ruin the W arm in the front. They are prone to cracking when bottomed out.
how do you adjust the shock on the dash?

Back