• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to me 07 Rage GT

MIRageGT

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha RS Rage GT
Hello!

I just bought a 2007 RS Rage GT with 2,000 miles on it. It has a studded track, and has different skis. The guy I bought it from also threw in another set of skis from his Nytro.

I put a deposit on it, and trailer it back today after work.

A couple things I noticed, the studs have hit the heat exchanger and screwed it up. Doesn't seem to be leaking though. Thinking about taking the studs out, unless there is something I can do to fix that. I've seen some people put metal underneath it, and attach a piece of slide to it.

The front skis are loose. I think the bushings are messed up.

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks!

Thanks. I got it home last night. Seems to have a running issue. We pulled it out of his enclosed trailer, and it kept dying. We lifted it up and got it revved up, and then we were able to pull it onto the trailer.

Also noticed the oil in the oil tank was not even at L. It was up to the top of the stem, if that makes sense. I can see oil in the tank. Hopefully changing the oil, will take care of that. The guy said he hadn't changed it in two years, but said he only rode it twice in the last two years..

I pulled one of the front skis off, and there are no bushings in the spindle, and the rubber insert for the ski is too small. So that will have to be changed.

I let the hand warmers run for like 10 minutes, and they just got slightly warm. Not sure how hot these usually get.

Random question. What is the stock carbide length on my sled? 2007 RS Rage GT?

Thanks! I will keep you guys posted, and will post some pics. This sled seems like it will be pretty cool.

For the running quality issue, you're probably looking at gummed up pilot jets. These sleds are notorious for that when left stored with fuel. Need to pull the carbs and clean them.

The handwarmers are weak and will not get very warm at idle. Most people run Yamaheaters. Yamaheater.com for information.

I highly recommend running these sleds once a week or every other week to keep things flowing if you will. If I don't start my wife's 05 rage often, I have to blow into the vent line to get things primed up again. Yes at idle not much heat but once you get going they should be ok

when you check the oil on these sleds, they need to be warmed up and you do not thread them in to check the lvl.

the hand warmers do not heat up really well at idle unless you have rock's hot hands kit on the sled.

with studs, i would be going 8" carbide as on my 05 rx and apex's without studs i run 6" stud boy shaper bars and they are pretty well matched to the traction i have.

Thanks sounds good.

I noticed today the zirk fitting around one of the tubes for the track wouldn't take grease. It just leaks out around the zirk. Looks like the weld around the zirk is messed up. Looked it up seems like a common problem.

I smelled the gas in the tank, it doesn't smell super fresh. I think I'll drain it out and put fresh stuff in.

So far my list is: Change oil and filter.
Fix front skis.
Drain gas and fill with fresh gas
Get zirk fitting repaired
Clean and Polish.

It has been a productive weekend. I started up the sled, and through some quick diagnosis found cylinder number 2 to be not firing. I messed with the carb, and got cylinder 2 running and then cylinder 3 started missing. Lol

Ended up pulling the carbs and doing a full clean. Didn't put new gaskets on, hopefully that doesn't bite me. But the ones that were on the looked good. The carbs were pretty nasty. Runs good on all 3 cylinders now.

I drained the gas tank, and filled it up with shell 93, and put some seafoam in it.

I noticed 2 of the grease fittings on the suspension leaked at the welds. So I JB welded them. Waiting on that to cure. I guess that is a common issue?

Put three new spark plugs in, changed the engine oil, and filter, and chaincase oil.

Is bouncing up and down on the sled a good way to test the rear shock remote adjustment mechanism? Lol not noticing too much of a difference..

Last edited:
Good to hear you have cleaned your carbs. The remote shock adjuster cable could be broke. The adjuster is mostly for rebound shock dampening but you should notice a difference between full soft and full hard.

The knob clicks. I can feel the cable turning inside of the shielding by the shock if I flex it a little. Not sure if that means its good..

Always liked the black and silver color of that year. Seeing those carb pics, it's pretty easy to see why it wasn't running correctly.

just from the age, i would suspect that there is no nitrogen charge left in the shocks. a service on them would not hurt.

There is a member here who rebuilds the monoshocks for $30. Cannondale27. While you're at it you may wish to inquire about a revalve for that shock. Stock valving was not all that great. With a revalve they ride quite a bit better.

Thanks! I reached out to him. I'm gonna send out all of my shocks. Thinking I might pull the skid out for the rear shock, and por-15 the skid to prevent rust.

Back