• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to me 16 XTX LE - Checking Tri-hub

StinkyFingers

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper Xtx-LE
Hey guys, new to these sleds. Just picked up a low mileage 2016 Xtx yesterday. build date is 05/15. Mint shape and has the 4th wheel kit added.

Note sure if its the whole kit ditching the trihub that the previous owner did or if he just added the 2 outer wheels. Is there an easy way for me to tell?

Last edited:

You can see that if it’s the factory hub, the 2 wheels are bolted together with 3 bolts. It’s like it’s 1 piece

You can see that if it’s the factory hub, the 2 wheels are bolted together with 3 bolts. It’s like it’s 1 piece

Thanks for the reply. I did figure out shortly after I posted that it's still there. :(. Now, I suppose I should remove and either:

a) repack bearings (these appear to be serviceable as I see the retainer clip on the inside of the inner wheels)
b) get new bearings for those same inner wheels?
c) ditch the inner wheels altogether and get something like the J&Ts or other? - If I do, I'd like to keep the outer 2 wheels - is there an option just to get the inside 2 to rid miself of the potential trihub miseries? Links? (eg - will just this do the trick and preferred method? http://www.jtatv.com/4th_Wheel_Kit_p/trihub-repl.htm)

Once the above is decided, to get them all apart can I simply just hoist the rear end way up and R&R without loosening the track?

Attachments

• 20191208_185837.jpg
    20191208_185837.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 148
c) ditch the inner wheels altogether and get something like the J&Ts or other? - If I do, I'd like to keep the outer 2 wheels - is there an option just to get the inside 2 to rid miself of the potential trihub miseries?
The answer is C.
Skip any of the fourth wheel add on kits and get the BOP solid axle replacement. The new wheels and huge bearings that Travis provides are great. It will outlast the rest of the sled and all but ensures even track alignment.
I also recommend the Grip-n-rip billet axle adjusters to replace stock as they have been known to fail. Since the BOP axle is a full 1/2" diameter, you have to drill put the adjusters. You want a beefy adjuster to go with the new axle.
You can reuse your wheels with the BOP kit.
https://www.barnofparts.com/solid-axle-4-wheel-kit
http://www.gripnripracing.com/index.php?id_product=136&controller=product
Very easy to change by taking the skid out. Lift the rear way up, undo four bolts, skid comes right out. Goes back in easy too. While it's out you can check or grease everything else.

Last edited:
I have the JT wheel kit on mine and they are very nice, highly recommend. And no you need to at least loosen track all the way and it’s still tight to get out and back in

Thanks guys. This sled has 1400 miles on it. I was thinking (since the snow is already flying here) about just pulling the rear 4 wheels and re-packing just to be on the safe side for this season, then in the spring, pull skid and do everything top notch. Anyone disagree with this strategy? If I can fit in 300 to 600 miles this season due to free time I'll be happy.

I just regreased those bearings on my wifes viper with 2600 miles on them and they were good but did it anyways. Hopefully next year I will have the JT 4 wheel on hers also.

Regrease and ride it! You can order replacement parts any time. If you start to repack them and realise that the bearings are pooched, that will answer your question for you.

Last edited:
Repack and run. I converted my 2014 tri-hub to be serviceable and have had no issues with it as long as I clean and repack at the end of each season

J&T, Larson, BoP kits are all good. Can't go wrong with any of them IMO. But the tri-hub must go!! Mine bloew out at 1, 600 miles leaving me stranded and tough to tow. The kits are well worth the insurance. Four seperate wheels with individual bearings....

Welp, got around to taking it apart this evening. Pulled the 2 outside wheels off, then when pulling the rear axel/trihub out one of the "wheel guides" clutch side was split in half - came off in 2 pieces. Guess I need a couple of these now. According to the part diagram its this: "wheel, Guide 1 8JP-G7534-00-00".

Are these normal to break here and there? Also my snap ring pliers fell apart into pieces in my hand upon first use so I shook my head, had a beer, and called it quits. Anywhere in Ontario canada to pick up a J&T or BoP upgraded center wheels/trihub kit fast? Hoping to also to keep the outer wheels on there (4th wheel kit). Im in Ontario and don't really want to wait for shipping from the states if I can help it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Welp, got around to taking it apart this evening. Pulled the 2 outside wheels off, then when pulling the rear axel/trihub out one of the "wheel guides" clutch side was split in half - came off in 2 pieces. Guess I need a couple of these now. According to the part diagram its this: "wheel, Guide 1 8JP-G7534-00-00".

Are these normal to break here and there? Also my snap ring pliers fell apart into pieces in my hand upon first use so I shook my head, had a beer, and called it quits. Anywhere in Ontario canada to pick up a J&T or BoP upgraded center wheels/trihub kit fast? Hoping to also to keep the outer wheels on there (4th wheel kit). Im in Ontario and don't really want to wait for shipping from the states if I can help it.
http://www.gripnripracing.com/index.php?id_product=136&controller=product
The Rip N Grip option is a perfect pairing with the J&T kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks guys I also just noticed the link for the gripnrips a few posts back. I'll see what I can sort out today.

Back