• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to TY Forums

YZboy99

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
‘15 Phazer MTX ‘08 Phazer GT
Hey all,

Kinda new here or should I say back after a long break, used to frequent this forum on the dirt bike side.

Thinking of buying a low mileage (1000 miles) ‘09 Nytro XTX turbo from a dealer out west. Not sure about the turbo side of things but I knew I wanted a Nytro XTX for its reliability. The Yamaha dealer (not the one selling it) installed the 180hp turbo kit, was “factory approved” so I believe that is the MPI kit, correct?

First question, the dealer and the customer who traded it in are at 3500’ above sea level. Chances are this machine spent some time high up in the mountains. I will be bringing it back down to 1000’ above sea level. How can I tell what elevation this sled is set up for?

Second question, assuming the clutching needs to be set up differently, is there anything that needs to be adjusted as far as the turbo or engine settings?

Third question, the selling dealer said the customer who traded it kept calling it a supercharger kit...did Yamaha offer an actual supercharger kit or is he confused with a turbo kit?

Lastly, anything major or obvious that I should check when buying a used turbo’d Nytro?

Sorry for all the questions, but new to this and don’t want to get burned.

Thanks for any info you can offer, keep up the great work!

I should also mention this machine has the GEMS engine management controller mounted on the handlebars, any recommendations on operating that would be appreciated, no idea what that actually controls.

Thanks!

Its a Supercharger from MPI if it has a Gems controller on it. I installed one on a XTX a few years back. Higher elevation units will have different pre-maps in the gems controller and will have more boost for higher elevations that will not last at sea level. Another sign that it s supercharger and not a turbo is that it will have 2 pulleys and belt behind the oil tank when you pull the side panel.

Thanks so much for the input Mr Sled, and yes, I just confirmed with the dealer that it was an MPI unit.

How would a guy change the maps in the GEMS controller? Is that something the dealer needs to do? Assuming it is a S/C setup, is that how you change the boost levels or is that only done through different pulleys?

I am gaining info as we go, and it sounds like the sled was originally set up for 3000’ above sea level. Not sure how much boost that allows for. It also has an Excell exhaust on it.

What would be my max boost at sea level? I want to keep this thing reliable, don’t want to risk blowing it up.

Also, anyone have any clutching setup specs for sea level with a Stage 1 kit?

Thanks again!

Never ran a supercharger but the pulleys do control the boost. You probably will have to run a certain amount of race fuel or put a head shim in it to get the compression down if running at sea level. Better ask around.

Ken.......

Thanks so much for the input Mr Sled, and yes, I just confirmed with the dealer that it was an MPI unit.

How would a guy change the maps in the GEMS controller? Is that something the dealer needs to do? Assuming it is a S/C setup, is that how you change the boost levels or is that only done through different pulleys?

I am gaining info as we go, and it sounds like the sled was originally set up for 3000’ above sea level. Not sure how much boost that allows for. It also has an Excell exhaust on it.

What would be my max boost at sea level? I want to keep this thing reliable, don’t want to risk blowing it up.

Also, anyone have any clutching setup specs for sea level with a Stage 1 kit?

Thanks again!
Never ran a supercharger but the pulleys do control the boost. You probably will have to run a certain amount of race fuel or put a head shim in it to get the compression down if running at sea level. Better ask around.

Ken.......

You could follow Kens advice or better yet maybe contact Ulmer Racing and he might be able to better assist to bring that down to Sea Level.

Does anyone know if Mountain Performance is still in business? Tried calling a number of times and emailing them, no response.

Does anyone know if Mountain Performance is still in business? Tried calling a number of times and emailing them, no response.

My understanding is no they are not in business. Call Ulmer for parts or help on their products.

Back