• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Viper Skid Plates

Wannaviper

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX SE; 2019 Sidewinder DX LTX; 2013 Vector LTX; 2014 Viper XTX SE; 2013 SRX 120
I bought a rear skid plate for my Viper late last year, and I read the thread about installation and cutting the plate to match the access panel for oil changes, but I have not done the installation yet. In browsing accessories on the Yamaha page, I saw that there is a whole new line of skid plates, apparently replacing the one I bought. They run from $79.99 to $129.99 for the "pro", "sport" and "flotation" plates. Has anybody seen or installed one yet? They look like they may be smaller, not covering as much area underneath the sled. Do any of them give the desired protection without requiring modification to get access for the oil change?

I also bought a rear skid plate last season and never got around to installing it. The new styles don't look like they cover the sides of the belly pan or come with provisions for the oil filter access. The website doesn't give you much info on the new ones and shows computer generated images so we don't know what it really looks like. I couldn't find any real images in a search either. I'm going to stick with the style I have because of the good reviews I've read on this site, and it covers the whole underside of the belly pan. I had a log come up and dent that area when she was brand new during break in, it popped back out with a little heat and some force but left a nice scrape.

They still offer the original rear one. That is by far the best and I also wish it would have been my first mod. Those sides by chaincase and brake are really vulnerable or I am really unlucky anytime I venture ten ft off trail! 2x4 and sledge on a week old sled sucks.

I still have my skid plate kicking around in the barn, and decided that it isn't doing me any good there, so I might as well install it. What is the best way to install the plate? If I use my sled lift, the bar sits right under the bulkhead and blocks the area where the skid plate goes, so I don't think that there is anyway I can use it. How does everyone get under the sled to do the install? Run it part way up a ramp? Tilt it on its side? How have you installed yours?

I use an over head hoist/winch and lift it up from the front to get under it. Beats lying on the ground.

I use an over head hoist/winch and lift it up from the front to get under it. Beats lying on the ground.

I don't have an overhead lift or hoist, but in reading your post it occurred to me that I have a tractor with a bucket loader. I'll bet that will work just fine!

So, I finally did it, and installed the skid plate, but had one glitches. The instructions say to remove and reuse two T27 screws from underneath. The holes are in the skid plate and match up with two existing holes under the sled, but the two T27 screws were not there. I looked under my other Viper, and there were no screws there either. Anyone else missing those screws?

Thanks for explaining; I did not do the cut out, but I would like to use the screws. Is there a Yamaha part number, or specs for what I need to replace the missing screw?

Thanks for explaining; I did not do the cut out, but I would like to use the screws. Is there a Yamaha part number, or specs for what I need to replace the missing screw?
I will take a look if someone else doesn't beat me to it. If I remember right it's a nut Zert. I made a post on it somewhere. Got them at local Ace hardware and using a couple wrenches and a nut was able to get it in without the proper tool. Bad news is skid has to come off for proper install

Last edited:
Looking for a skid plate myself. This happened going over the rocky shore line from my cabin to the lake in low snow conditions at about 1 mph. The rock must have pushed up the access door and hooked at the back instead of sliding off . OEM pan is very very light aluminum.

Attachments

• 20161130_192024.jpg
    20161130_192024.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 535

Back