• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

newfieassault

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
viper mtx 153
Hi everyone, this is my first time to this site. Looking at purchasing a 2015 viper mtx with dealer installed mpi turbo.
Not overly familiar with Yamaha snowmobiles let alone turbo. Just wondering if there is anything i should be aware of before purchasing? I have read that there was problems with oil leakage when this sled is turned on its side or rolled. Was this something that should have been fixed by Yamaha or MPI?
Is there much difference in 2stroke sleds when it comes to winterization?
What about boost when running a sled? What to keep looking for?
Love the sound of a turbo and i bet the extra Hp would be fun. Thanks for any input.

I thought MPI had some updates for the frozen vent box but you may want to look into a roll-over valve as well. The Turbo works really well on the Vipers. I think you will be extremely happy. Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
Nice sled.There's alot of info on this site start in the faq. Where are you in Newfoundland?

For winterization, they are pretty much the same as 2 strokes with the exception of changing the oil and filter. Also since there's no pull rope it's a good idea to have the battery tested to make sure she's ready for the cold weather.;)!
Bill

For winterization, they are pretty much the same as 2 strokes with the exception of changing the oil and filter. Also since there's no pull rope it's a good idea to have the battery tested to make sure she's ready for the cold weather.;)!
Bill
Is it necessary to change the oil and filter every year if you are averaging around 1000 kms a year?

Is it necessary to change the oil and filter every year if you are averaging around 1000 kms a year?
If you store the sled outside under a cover then yes I would recommend changing it once a year. Primarily to help prevent moisture build up in the oil tank.
I usually store my sleds inside a heated shop and typically will average less than a 1000 miles a year, so I was doing it every other season (with the exception of the first 500 mile oil change).

Back