• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No rear suspension travel fixed!

rebmo

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha RTX-DX blk
2015 Arctic Cat XF 9000 Green (Turbo)
I've been riding my 2015 R-TX-D-X now since new and have been really disappointing in one aspect of this sled. The rear suspension is rock solid as in hardly any give. I've been able to dial in the handling so it's fun to ride but has really punished me when the trails are rough. I ride almost always on groomed trails or trails that badly need grooming in either SE WI (hardly at all the last couple years with no snow) and putting most of my miles on in the Western UP. With the lack of snow over the last few years I've only been able to put a little over 900 miles on the sled.

So anyway, I've been in touch with Cannondale and he recommended trying a shock he had from a newer RTX with a larger body, rebuilt and valved. So I ordered it and it came this week. I just finished installing it and realized what was definitely the problem with the stiff ride. The OEM shock was close to frozen. When I removed it, it just stayed put and had no rebound. I tried to pull it and it was a struggle to get it to move 1/2" in or out. The shock I got from Cannondale took effort, but it would compress and then rebound when no force was holding it in. As a matter of fact, he had it compressed and fixed in place with wire for shipping, as soon as I removed the wire, it extended. The OEM shock didn't move when I took it out. If it did it was not noticeable.

My rear suspension hardly moved when bouncing it with the OEM shock. With the new rebuild/valved shock installed from Cannondale, it travels nearly the full suspension travel with me really bouncing on the rear (190lbs). It gets firmer as the travel progresses like it should I believe. Now I'm really excited to get this sled on the trails but that's going to be a while unfortunately. I thought I'd share because no doubt this frozen OEM shock was the culprit and can't believe how locked up it was. I know others have complained of stiff rear suspensions, so maybe this will help you.

Thanks Cannondale!

86899-be4866d7d9afef728ce0cf168d78d247.jpg

Last edited:

My suspension was the same way last year on my 2016 Ltx. Then my rear shock blew and I bought one from a 2014. Now it rides like a dream.

Thats good news DZ, anything would be better than the ride I had. I wonder how far I was from breaking my rear skid shock with it being close to frozen. As tight as it was it felt like no suspension.

Cannondale's shock valving is top notch! Yammi/cat had these shocks so screwed up I feel bad for anyone that's still riding on oem shock setups. Once I had the rear shocks on mine revalved I have yet to ride anything that handles as all around good as these machines.

If you send the stock one to me I would like to inspect it to see what is defective. Wouldn't be the first new sled with defective shock.

Cannondale's shock valving is top notch! Yammi/cat had these shocks so screwed up I feel bad for anyone that's still riding on oem shock setups. Once I had the rear shocks on mine revalved I have yet to ride anything that handles as all around good as these machines.
Thanks guys. It amazes me how bad some sleds can be and still leave the dealership. Most it's just bad valving but in some cases the shocks were just defective. A new sled and smooth trails leaves a new owner thinking it's fine when actually they are getting beat up. Lived with mine for awhile myself. Take the chance to hop on a buddies sled if you are feeling something's not right. Then you will know. Our sleds should ride every bit as well as any sled out there. If not it's a easy fix.

Cannondale, I'll send you the oem shock. It'll be interesting to see what the issue is. I have the extended warranty but don't think I can get coverage the route taken to fix this issue. That's OK with me though as it looks like the problem is solved.

You know, I actually dreaded jumping this sled since it was so unpredictable but I bet that changes. No more bucking bronco sensation hopefully.

The front rear shock on mine was the first to go. I noticed it when I was getting it ready to go. There was a hole through the shock. The Center rod broke and bent inside which caused the hole from riding it broke. The only thing holding it together was the spring. When I pulled the skid out it's fell apart in my hands.

Thats good news DZ, anything would be better than the ride I had. I wonder how far I was from breaking my rear skid shock with it being close to frozen. As tight as it was it felt like no suspension.
The first time I rode it the ride was terrible. Then I took it up on tug hill and the ride was still awful on groomed trails. My 2006 apex rode better. I thought because it was new that was how it was supposed to be. So I rode it 2k miles like that before It actually broke.

The first time I rode it the ride was terrible. Then I took it up on tug hill and the ride was still awful on groomed trails. My 2006 apex rode better. I thought because it was new that was how it was supposed to be. So I rode it 2k miles like that before It actually broke.

That's how I felt with mine, everyone said it just needed some miles to get broke in, after 1500 miles my center shock finally blew and I sent them out to finally get revalved and setup right. Wish I would've did it after the first ride, switching back and forth with other procross sleds that still have crappy shock setup I'm amazed I was ever able to even put miles on it let alone 1500.

That's how I felt with mine, everyone said it just needed some miles to get broke in, after 1500 miles my center shock finally blew and I sent them out to finally get revalved and setup right. Wish I would've did it after the first ride, switching back and forth with other procross sleds that still have crappy shock setup I'm amazed I was ever able to even put miles on it let alone 1500.
That's the same way I felt after mine let go and I was able to ride on 1 more time after the last snow we got on the hill. I never knew it had the ability to ride so well.

That's the same way I felt after mine let go and I was able to ride on 1 more time after the last snow we got on the hill. I never knew it had the ability to ride so well.

What's kinda funny, I knew mine finally blew out because the sled started actually riding somewhat decent and the rear suspension had some give to it rather than feeling "locked up". Looked under it and sure enough the center shock was packed full of milky brown looking snow from shock oil. still had another 80 miles to go before we were back home. When I got it thawed and pulled the shock out the shock body itself was actually unthreading itself, can't believe it ever held together for the rest of the ride but thank goodness it did, that would've been a mess!

What's kinda funny, I knew mine finally blew out because the sled started actually riding somewhat decent and the rear suspension had some give to it rather than feeling "locked up". Looked under it and sure enough the center shock was packed full of milky brown looking snow from shock oil. still had another 80 miles to go before we were back home. When I got it thawed and pulled the shock out the shock body itself was actually unthreading itself, can't believe it ever held together for the rest of the ride but thank goodness it did, that would've been a mess!
The back shock absorber under the torsion springs on mine blew just after the front one. I made it about 30 miles just after putting the skid back in and it started bottoming out like crazy. And this sled has never bottomed out not even when riding double. So I got to where I was going looked under it and all that was left was the rod. The canister was no where to be found.

Along with the valving the shocks get moisture in them real fast especially center. I put a different wiper on the ones I do. Helps. Then some just weren't put together right from factory. If it's stiff and slow it's not right.

Back