• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No Reverse after HID and Relays install - updated

segmentlime

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sr viper
2017 SR Viper

No reverse - no beeping, seemingly no shift actuated - after I did some work yesterday on my sled (changed the ICS and fuel pump relays for ones supposed to be better for cold; added a usb and rca power outlet thing; changed stock bulbs for a HID kit; and installed a remote headlight adjuster knob).

The reverse was working two days prior when I backed it off my trailer to put in garage to work on it, so it seems like a big coincidence if not related but I cannot figure what it could be.

I checked the 25A “shift” fuse - it was ok - and even did a test with a replaced one. No reverse.

Not sure how these could have had anything to do with it but just to test since I changed them I put the old ICS and fuel pump relays back in. No reverse. Everything seems to work same with ether sets of relays.

Just since the two forward and reverse relays are beside the ones I replaced, and on some remote chance something happened to one of these with jostling, I swapped the one for the other (I don’t have replacements for those ones) to see if this made any difference - it didn’t.

I checked all the new connections related to the new headlights, and any others I had undone during the installs (the connector that goes to the hood, and connectors to key, dash pod, and cigarette lighter (that was where I hung the usb / rca power connector off). All seem fine, and all those things seem to be working.

When doing this last round of work the first thing I did was replace the relays and to test to make sure I had not put them in reversed, I reconnected the battery and test started the sled. It started fine but that one time only I did think that I notice a bit of a one time noise from over the right side of the sled - like someone had tapped metal with a socket wrench or something - but I did not pay much attention to it because it had started and all electrical stuff came on and I thought maybe I just heard whatever it was more clearly because all the panels, hoods and seat were off. Although, I did not notice any similar noise on any subsequent test starts. I never thought to test the reverse and never tried reverse until the end.

I guess it is possibly not directly related to the electrical / headlight changes I made, but I am not sure how to troubleshoot this now?

Last edited:

2017 SR Viper

No reverse - no beeping, seemingly no shift actuated - after I did some work yesterday on my sled (changed the ICS and fuel pump relays for ones supposed to be better for cold; added a usb and rca power outlet thing; changed stock bulbs for a HID kit; and installed a remote headlight adjuster knob).

The reverse was working two days prior when I backed it off my trailer to put in garage to work on it, so it seems like a big coincidence if not related but I cannot figure what it could be.

I checked the 25A “shift” fuse - it was ok - and even did a test with a replaced one. No reverse.

Not sure how these could have had anything to do with it but just to test since I changed them I put the old ICS and fuel pump relays back in. No reverse. Everything seems to work same with ether sets of relays.

Just since the two forward and reverse relays are beside the ones I replaced, and on some remote chance something happened to one of these with jostling, I swapped the one for the other (I don’t have replacements for those ones) to see if this made any difference - it didn’t.

I checked all the new connections related to the new headlights, and any others I had undone during the installs (the connector that goes to the hood, and connectors to key, dash pod, and cigarette lighter (that was where I hung the usb / rca power connector off). All seem fine, and all those things seem to be working.

When doing this last round of work the first thing I did was replace the relays and to test to make sure I had not put them in reversed, I reconnected the battery and test started the sled. It started fine but that one time only I did think that I notice a bit of a one time noise from over the right side of the sled - like someone had tapped metal with a socket wrench or something - but I did not pay much attention to it because it had started and all electrical stuff came on and I thought maybe I just heard whatever it was more clearly because all the panels, hoods and seat were off. Although, I did not notice any similar noise on any subsequent test starts. I never thought to test the reverse and never tried reverse until the end.

I guess it is possibly not directly related to the electrical / headlight changes I made, but I am not sure how to troubleshoot this now?
Update:

I called a buddy who is a mechanic and he helped with some further diagnosis. A tester shows that when the reverse switch is pressed, there is an electrical pulse coming to the switch at the actuator; so, it seems it is nothing electrical or related to any of the other work I did yesterday.

The actuator motor is not turning. Pulled the actuator motor and the plastic gear looks good, but the motor is not turning the gear even when pulled off the case. The actuator motor feels warm pretty quick so it seems like it is fried. I guess it may just be the actuator motor, but the problem may well be in the case, something jambing, and this has fried the motor too. Maybe the noise I heard that one time starting was something jamming in the case?

In any case (no pun intended) I figure it needs a look in the case, and this is beyond me, so I will take it to my dealer for service.

Last edited:
Some guys pull the actuator motor apart and clean them up. The brushes can get gooed up and don't make good contact. Might be worth a try. Also, if you have to replace it, there is one sold for automotive purposes, out of a Saturn, the motor for the window that is way cheaper. I don't know the part number, but I think it's made by Dorman.

Back