• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No reverse

snowhite

Pro
Country
Canada
Good day gentlemen, my '15 viper has this on going issue with the reverse not activating, sometimes it will and usually not when it's cold. So if I may there is rumor that the relays that activate the actuator are the root cause of this crappy problem. Have any of you gotten thru this, and is there out there somewhere a better relay?

Can you hear or feel the actuator engaging? If it is even slightly it would be a issue with actuator.

Good day gentlemen, my '15 viper has this on going issue with the reverse not activating, sometimes it will and usually not when it's cold. So if I may there is rumor that the relays that activate the actuator are the root cause of this crappy problem. Have any of you gotten thru this, and is there out there somewhere a better relay?
My 18 Winder had one of the brushes stuck in the motor and would show code 'sd08'.
It started off by sometimes working and sometimes not, but then quit altogether.

If i remember correctly theres complete directions on tear down and repairs for the reverse actuator in the viper faq section above this.

No the actuator doesn't make a sound, when the reverse doesn't work I can warm up the relays and then it'll star to work ! So there is definitely something wrong with those relays.

No the actuator doesn't make a sound, when the reverse doesn't work I can warm up the relays and then it'll star to work ! So there is definitely something wrong with those relays.
Yea they aren’t best. If Fuse box is still in stock position on the coolant reservoir and I lived in extreme cold area I would consider a coolant heater. Guess some working on solid state replacements but haven’t seen any yet.

Another thing to look at is your belt tightness. I had my belt too tight this winter and it wouldn't shift sometimes.

well belt deflection isn't the culprit my dealership says they're after Yamaha about these relays 'cause historically a few models have had issues with fuel relays too, so come on Yamaha a shitty relay will cause a lot of people to cross the line here!

That's kind of the problem with this whole relationship isn't it. Yamaha made Arctic Cat look better with it's engines, but Arctic Cat's shoddy materials and workmanship makes Yamaha look worse.

These relays are rated down to -40f.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...m2zBhoPvVTF1DcOdAjU7w7KZmYDMA2ShphMe9jDLsl7l8

I have not had a relay related issue since installing these. Other issues, but not sticking relays.
I have some left over that I would send you for the cost of shipping. Not sure what that would be. Maybe more cost effective to order direct.

The shift relays are a single pole double throw unlike the other five in the fuse box that are single throw. The two shift relays are larger rectangular shape with 5 terminals so they can't be interchanged with the other square 4 terminal relays. The OEM relays come as "Flux Sealed" and can be replaced with relays that rated as "Washable".

Square relays, 4 terminal:
ISC (main relay)
Fuel
Fan
Headlight
Tail (lighting relay)

Original Part# (flux sealed): 303-1AH-C-R1-12vdc
Replacement Part# (washable sealed): 303-1AH-S-R1-12vdc
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...lGo6lFOYUsTYwbpP89ku/7wyBpVWigJQObwg6RppX8prP

Rectangle relays, 5 terminals:
Forward shift
Reverse shift

Original Part# (flux sealed): 301-1C-C-R1- U01-12VDC
Replacement Part# (washable sealed): 301-1C-S-R1-12VDC
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...3cc0Vh3MFi1ipUOIJJiF8hmNpWu1nmLOPAyswUIIcQg==

Grizztracks
Are you saying the relays are an upgrade from what we are using now, or simply a replacement?

I believe the "sealed type washable" relays will keep the moisture out better than the OEM "flux tight" relays so it should be an upgrade. I switched to them two seasons ago and so far have not had any issues with relay failures. I figured for the cost it was worth a try and with the new relays installed you end up with several spares if needed.

Last edited:
This is what I'm talking about, help from members, thank you. I goggled these relays and their available so I can order them and not thru Yamaha for $30.00 a piece! Thank you again.
I'm not sure if you are referring to a complete set for $30 or each individual relay. I used the links that Grizz posted and purchased 5 four terminal and 2 five terminal relays, shipped for just over $30.

Back