• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No start after ECU Reflash (2015 Viper w/MPI turbo)

Aaron Miller

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper LTX Turbo
Hello Forum, hope someone has some insights. Here's what I am dealing with:

-2015 Viper with dealer-installed MPI turbo, about 3300 mi, purchased from original owner.
-Cold start about 3 weeks ago, backfired, shredded the starter.
-Took to local Yamaha dealer for ECU reflash to prevent this from happening again. Dealer stated reflash will have no effect on GEMS unit.
-Replaced starter, replaced battery.
-Mechanic started Viper in shop, good to go. (?)
-After I picked her up, no start, but turns over stronger than before. Just no fire ignition.
-Bring back to mechanic. Lil' spritz of starting fluid in intake, fires up.
-Take for ride on trail right after startup, rode about 10 miles, sled ran STRONG!
-Notice on ride that lights on GEMS unit looks different than before. More red, less blue than before this all happened? It could be by imagination, not totally sure. Did not change settings, afraid to do so.
-Brought right home, parked sled in heated garage overnight. Next day, no start again.
-Checked fuses, all good. Replaced ICS and fuel relays, still no go. (can relays go in wrong side up and not work?)

Any thoughts/troubleshooting ideas? Thank you all!

Hello Forum, hope someone has some insights. Here's what I am dealing with:

-2015 Viper with dealer-installed MPI turbo, about 3300 mi, purchased from original owner.
-Cold start about 3 weeks ago, backfired, shredded the starter.
-Took to local Yamaha dealer for ECU reflash to prevent this from happening again. Dealer stated reflash will have no effect on GEMS unit.
-Replaced starter, replaced battery.
-Mechanic started Viper in shop, good to go. (?)
-After I picked her up, no start, but turns over stronger than before. Just no fire ignition.
-Bring back to mechanic. Lil' spritz of starting fluid in intake, fires up.
-Take for ride on trail right after startup, rode about 10 miles, sled ran STRONG!
-Notice on ride that lights on GEMS unit looks different than before. More red, less blue than before this all happened? It could be by imagination, not totally sure. Did not change settings, afraid to do so.
-Brought right home, parked sled in heated garage overnight. Next day, no start again.
-Checked fuses, all good. Replaced ICS and fuel relays, still no go. (can relays go in wrong side up and not work?)

Any thoughts/troubleshooting ideas? Thank you all!
Very strange.. sounds like that changed something. Do you have an AFR gauge on it? If you give it a small amount of throttle when cranking it will it fire?

Very strange.. sounds like that changed something. Do you have an AFR gauge on it? If you give it a small amount of throttle when cranking it will it fire?
Hi Mr. Sled-

No, I do not have an AFR gauge on the Viper. Did not think to give a little throttle on cranking, will try that tomorrow. I do not smell gas when cranking either. When cranking, it does not stutter or seem like it wants to fire. It sounds like a sled with no gas, despite having an almost full fresh tank (I filled it before taking it out on the post-fix test run).

First season with a Yamacat. Got rid of the Nytro, and 3 rides in....this $*!%. I had a feeling something like this would happen. I will say that when it runs, it is so much better than the Nytro. Oh well.

Hi Mr. Sled-

No, I do not have an AFR gauge on the Viper. Did not think to give a little throttle on cranking, will try that tomorrow. I do not smell gas when cranking either. When cranking, it does not stutter or seem like it wants to fire. It sounds like a sled with no gas, despite having an almost full fresh tank (I filled it before taking it out on the post-fix test run).

First season with a Yamacat. Got rid of the Nytro, and 3 rides in....this $*!%. I had a feeling something like this would happen. I will say that when it runs, it is so much better than the Nytro. Oh well.
When I had my turbo viper I refused to have the dealer flash it and it worked great without. It could be a bad fuel pump relay. Try giving it a little throttle first.

When I had my turbo viper I refused to have the dealer flash it and it worked great without. It could be a bad fuel pump relay. Try giving it a little throttle first.
Tried starting with a little throttle, no go. Changed out the fuel relay, that didn't do anything either. If the remap changed the fuel mixture at startup, how can that be adjusted?

Tried starting with a little throttle, no go. Changed out the fuel relay, that didn't do anything either. If the remap changed the fuel mixture at startup, how can that be adjusted?
you have gems controller on it?

I don’t think the gems kicks in until started.

I’d contact Ulmer on this. He has worked a ton on these turbo vipers. @Srxspec

When you cycle key, can you hear fuel pump running?
Yessir, it is doing a long song/dance with clicking and buzzing. Lasts about 8 seconds. When I turn the key off there is a new buzz before everything powers down, must be part of the new flash. But yes, it sounds like the pump is running when I power up.

Yessir, it is doing a long song/dance with clicking and buzzing. Lasts about 8 seconds. When I turn the key off there is a new buzz before everything powers down, must be part of the new flash. But yes, it sounds like the pump is running when I power up.
Try messing with that stupid kill switch. They have had issues with them. It will crank even if the kill switch is on not like a normal Yamaha. So flip that stupid thing several times just to be sure.

Try messing with that stupid kill switch. They have had issues with them. It will crank even if the kill switch is on not like a normal Yamaha. So flip that stupid thing several times just to be sure.
Cycled the kill switch a number of times, same result. (wah wuh) Spoke with Ulmer a little bit ago, he's going to take a peek at the thing for me. Fingers x'ed!

Back