• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Non-YAMAHA oil filter Is an aftermarket available?

I think he's saying that the first oil AND filter change is at 500 miles.

From that point on the oil ONLY needs to be changed every 2,000 miles...not the filter. Apparently the filter doesn't need to be changed again until 12,000 miles.

Personally, I'll change my filter once per season. I know $14.95 US is a rediculous price for an oil filter, but hey, if its only once a year.......what the hell right. It'll just give me piece of mind.

Tfin said:
I think he's saying that the first oil AND filter change is at 500 miles.

From that point on the oil ONLY needs to be changed every 2,000 miles...not the filter. Apparently the filter doesn't need to be changed again until 12,000 miles.

Personally, I'll change my filter once per season. I know $14.95 US is a rediculous price for an oil filter, but hey, if its only once a year.......what the hell right. It'll just give me piece of mind.

TFIN is correct in his clarification of my previous post.

Common practice is to change your oil at the end of the season rather than at the begining of the next season. This is becasue you do not want your used oil stagnant in the engine over the summer. There are acids that are formed from the oil breakdown and interaction with the metals. These acids are not good for your engine when they are stagnant. So, change your oil after your last ride as part of your Summer-izing methods. AND, as TFIN suggests, you can err on the side of caution and drop the $15 on a genuine Yamaha filter even if it is before the recommended service interval.

$15 is nothing in the overall cost of snowmobiling... You probably dropped that at the bar on your last ride!

Here is a cross reference I just came across. 245 filters options that would work, If you can't find a OEM one.

Attachments

• YAMAHA 5GH-13440-00-00 - 245 oil filter cross reference.pdf
    524.1 KB · Views: 3,739

Back