• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Not startling, at normal temps 15-20 degrees

todd blank

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha venture lite
I live in Michigan and it does not get extremely cold. I recently purchased a 2011 venture lite. In my garage the snowmobile will fire up just fine. I left it outside overnight and it just kept rolling over assuming it was the battery I replaced the battery. And when that didn’t fix it I replaced the starter. Well that didn’t fix it either. It has new spark plugs in it. I could understand if it was 30 below zero but it was only 20° out. I even put my garden tractor battery on it which is 300 cca in and it still did not want to start. If anyone has any ideas please help. I read somewhere in another forum that maybe I have a coil going bad?????? The sled does have almost 9000 miles on it.

I have to admit I'm grasping at straws on this one. Maybe the fuel pump relay has frozen up so it is not getting gas.

I second YukonMP here......can you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the ignition on?

Yes fuel pump cycles like normal... could weak spark be affected by the cold?????

No. Try starting fluid in the intake and see if it starts. If it does, then there is spark and it's a fuel problem.

Ok, say it is a fuel issue, would it be a pump problem? If so what do you guys suggest for the best aftermarket pump?

You have to make a proper diagnosis before condemning the pump itself. You have to check for proper power to it first. Don't just check with a meter if you see 12v to it. Put a load on it, like a light bulb (I suggest a headlight bulb). Sometimes circuits may show 12v with a meter with no load but it can drop with a load due to a faulty connection or relay. Try using a separate 12v power source to rule out the pump.

Have you tried the starting fluid yet?

Not yet I’ll try it in the morning and let you know how it works, this snowmobile is gonna drive me bonkers lol

They all do!

Went out this morning tried the starting fluid (it’s 20 degrees) just kept rolling over, few sputters , (fuel pump cycling like normal), it did start yesterday very easy when it was 33 out............

So this is an ignition issue. Pull the coils and plugs and check for spark. Pull the fuel pump relay so you don't keep dumping fuel into the engine while doing this.

What do the plugs look like? Try a new pair. They can foul easily especially if you have been starting it often and not letting it fully warm up or many failed attempts to start. Does the oil smell like gas? You might need to change it.

Because it sputtered, I have a feeling it's either flooded or spark plugs are fouled.

I’ve been starting it when it starts and letting it run for 10-15 minutes, I’ll start ripping into it tonight!!!! Thanks again I’ll let you know how it goes!!

Oh I forgot to add I started and drove it into my garage before I pulled everything fired up beautiful in my trailer it is 35° out today

Back