• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Novice Clutch Guy Here

markt111

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
all Yamahas
I have a Viper RTX SE, bought it stock with just an Ulmer clutch kit, I have added a can headers and PCV (all from SLP) I am now hitting the limiter consistently, I reached out to Allen and asked him what to do, he said "Add 2 thin washers to the tips of the weights. This will bring your RPM down 200-250 rpm."

that sounds logical, now I know this will sound stupid but how do I do this? I have no clutch work experience or instructions as the kit came with the sled, I hate to keep bothering him as I know he is very busy. FYI, I am a pretty good wrench just have never worked on sled clutches.

googled and searched here, cant find instructions on performing the adjustments... does someone have a copy of the instructions?

FYI, I do have the spare parts that came with the kit

Attachments

• 6186EBDA-6B60-494B-BFF7-1322B9272136.png
    6186EBDA-6B60-494B-BFF7-1322B9272136.png
    400.8 KB · Views: 155
You can either pull your primary off the sled or do it on. Unbolt the pins holding the weights on and pull them out.If you take primary out you can just use a ratchet clamp to compress the primary spring to get at the weights.

MrSled has a great video posted for installing an Ulmer clutch kit. He used an Apex in the video, but the clutch is the same as yours. Do a search and watch, it explains everything.

Just did the thunder products kit. Easier to do it on the sled I found. I got the little tool to assist the bushing through and it worked like a charm. Make sure to crack the 2.5mm Set screws. Use a touch of heat with soldering iron if it doesn’t want to come loose as you need to put blue loctite back on them. There are Two nylon washers on each side of weight don’t loose them. Install your washer weight on put back together at required torque specs. Also making sure the x on the back of cover matches the spider (important).

Well that was pretty easy, once you get in there it’s pretty easy to understand!

Thanks for the help!!

Well that was pretty easy, once you get in there it’s pretty easy to understand!

Thanks for the help!!

Did you re weigh your weights? Wondering how many grams your running? My stock were 60 and my t.p hh were 57 but the change with the mid night blue secondary is a night n day difference

I did reweight, added two washers to the tip (1 gram) per Allen Ulmer, I made notes on what was existing, I can look later if you want to know what mine has

I did reweight, added two washers to the tip (1 gram) per Allen Ulmer, I made notes on what was existing, I can look later if you want to know what mine has

Please do, I would like to know just curious. As my conditions are completely bone stock I’m no where near rev limiter in fact I would hit it occasionally with the stockers. However it has way more legs on lake and better use of power now on trail as well. I’m happy with it.

I don't know how much of a good reference it will be as the arm is most likely a different profile itself but I will look and get back to you

The profile of Heavy Hitter weights in the Thunder kit and the Supertips Ulmer uses is nearly identical. The placement of the adjustable weight on the arm is quite different. Keeping track of weight is pretty easy with the Supertips because all of the thin washers weigh 1 gram ish, and the thick tungsten washers are 7 grams. Very simple to remember. I’ve never tuned with Heavy Hitters, so I’m not sure how that hardware breaks down weight wise, but I know there are many different combos.

The profile of Heavy Hitter weights in the Thunder kit and the Supertips Ulmer uses is nearly identical. The placement of the adjustable weight on the arm is quite different. Keeping track of weight is pretty easy with the Supertips because all of the thin washers weigh 1 gram ish, and the thick tungsten washers are 7 grams. Very simple to remember. I’ve never tuned with Heavy Hitters, so I’m not sure how that hardware breaks down weight wise, but I know there are many different combos.

Yeah I was just inquiring the weight. Mine was a used kit and it works great.

The gentleman I purchased from proclaimed over 100mph I hit 97 and I’m pretty good with that and felt like I could have more on top. Like I said my hh are sitting at 57 grams with large bolt and washer on toe. I didn’t remove each one and weigh...hindsight now thinking I should have. I’m breaking the gates 40c4313 in this weekend so I may have more info on the feel and delivery. With a stock old 8jp belt it hit 97 (3500km) hoping for a bit better results mainly on trail.

Hold the phone........I’m a bit of a dumb #*$&@ at times and just realized we’re talking Viper clutch kits here. I believe the Supertips Ulmer uses for his Viper kits are the 50 YS weights, and are a less aggressive profile than the Heavy Hitters. They should require a fair bit more total weight than the Heavy Hitters to produce the same shift force. The weights of the individual tuning components for these Supertips are the same as I said in my previous post.

Ok weights are listed starting at the first hole from the heel out to the tip

1st - 1 tungsten 1 washer
2nd - empty
3rd - 3 washers (I added 2 of these)

Back