• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Now in Canada, Yamaha Power Assist Bicycles

The e-bike category is exciting in general, the idea of being able to get places on a bike that were not accessible due to fitness, time constraints, or other reasons is compelling for a lot of people, me included but the price... holy.. Bicycle prices are astronomical as is, and its hard to imagine shelling out 7-8k for a bicycle (cannondale has one for over $10k). As a former mtb'r with a shed full of bikes I just cannot get past the price point.

I thought the pricing was out of wack until I went to the Trek website. Their entry level electric mountain bike starts at $5K CDN and climbs to $18.5!!! Wow.

I thought the pricing was out of wack until I went to the Trek website. Their entry level electric mountain bike starts at $5K CDN and climbs to $18.5!!! Wow.

Its pretty insane really. Bicycles just skyrocketed during covid from an already aggressive series of price hikes that were happening even before Covid. Sometime mid-covid I took a few bikes out of the shed that I had not ridden in as much as 15 years. They were top of the line back in the day and during covid I sold several for 30% below what I paid for them new and one for more than I paid for it 10 years prior. We had one total piece of junk that I just leaned up against the shed and one guy who came over offered me $200.00 for it as it sat there, I would have given it to him if he had asked.

I never seen anything like last early FALL in far northern WI on a weekend.. I was at a watering hole having a few before a college football game(GO Badgers). I look outside and a group of 40 bikes(one riding group) show up and they were all electric! It was hilarious. Imagine sitting in a bar and a bunch of city folk show up and they all came into the bar to order Michelob ULTRA's and or some fancy cocktails.. LOL.. It was great!! I got to watch the look on the barkeeps face as these "bikers" showed up and ordered food and drinks.. Priceless.. Hey whatever works to bring revenue in the summer months.. LOL. Sure was fun for me to watch.

PS.. I have nothing against E bikes. Or anyone who rides them.. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
Wonder what it would cost to replace the battery if it failed, nice concept if your into off road peddle bikes, they are pricy but so is everything else Yamaha sells, this will sell, price doesn't seem to matter anymore to people in the market, there's no dickering over pricing anymore, if you don't like the price there's 10 behind you that are ready to pay and the dealers are having a hay day.

Back